Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

bike fit, honest opinion

I've decided to take the plunge and pay for someone to tell me to raise my saddle by 2cms... Lol

In all seriousness though, I'm north London so looking around, the bike whisperer is silly overpriced tbh( £235+). So looking at others, ie bike science and sigma sport.

Anyone with first hand experience please post your honest opinion's .

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

madgepie | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I have just had a bike fit at http://www.bespokecycling.com/bike-fitting last week after doing alot of reasearch on the web. I also considered cyclefit as an alternative but pleased I went with Bespoke as they were excellent.Ben the lead bike fitter is an X Pro cyclist himself and uses his BSc in Sports Rehabilitation to provide a very detailed anaysis using the Retul system. You are paying for the expertise (£200 in my case) and Retul is just the tool. He spent about 2-2.5 hrs in all starting with my flexibility,balance, injuries before getting anywhere near the bike. In addtion to going through the fitting process he also provided guidance on pedalling technique and left me with a number of exercises to follow to improve strength and flexibility. They then email you a full report and recommendations whether it's for a new bike in my case or I understand changes to your current one. Can't recommend them highly enough and I guess you get what you pay for.

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

The bike fit my team did for me was seriously measuring angles. Thank goodness it was free.

You want a 25-30 degree angle at your knee when your pedal foot is at 4:30-5:30. You want a 90 degree angle leg to torso with the feet like this. You want 5-10 degree elbow bend reaching for your hoods.

Other than that, you want your knee to be just slightly forward of the ball of your foot when your foot is at 3:00.

I just adjusted your seatpost, saddle, and reach.

blablablacksheep20 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Tbh. Reading the posts I'm not that impressed by the bike fits around north London.

I'm looking really at £180 for a fit, and expect it to mainly improve my bike performance more than anything.

Retul fits sound good but its hard to find a good fitter

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

I got fitted at http://www.stephenjamescycles.co.uk/bike-fitting/
Very professional and with the obligatory footbeds, spacers and a new shorter stem came to about 200 notes.

Still not sure if it was worth it though its certainly an intensive 90 minutes - albeit with the biggest change beings my saddle being raised by 2cms!

I view it that at least now if I get any knee problems then it wont be for want of being too much of tightwad to get a proper fitting.

davidw07 | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you're in North London there is http://www.fit-me-up.com/ who are based in Hertford. Bike fitting is £125.
My son had two bikes fitted this weekend and I went along - very professional. Plus, Dean who does the fitting is a sports physio, so will understand any problems.

roly | 10 years ago
0 likes

cadence crystal palace. several levels offered. from a quick shift of the saddle to the full monty. very nice people so i hear. you can go online and just book on their website. google them and read the website.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't know about London, but I paid £110 at Pedal Precision in Manchester. £235 definitely sounds steep.

tommygarland | 10 years ago
0 likes

Also interested in this, has anyone had any experience with a specialized BG Fit?

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

Megabus to Bristol and get it at BW Cycling. Had one there myself and was great. Took less than an hour so was only £40. It's all filmed and computer analysed and you can either take your own bike or use the jig they have there. Well worth it.

SimpleSimon | 10 years ago
0 likes

a proper fit for a bike can make a big difference. Just come back from a weekend away where a certain Maurizio Fondriest adjusted a mate's bike - saddle height and position changed and made all the difference to him. Closer to home, there is Le Beau Velo in Shoreditch - ask for Mal.

mattyb95 | 10 years ago
0 likes

It may be worthwhile knowing why you are planning on going for a fit? Do you have aches and pains, never quite comfortable or is it just to see if you can improve your position and free speed, increased stamina etc?

Latest Comments