Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is it rude to draft people on the open road?

Today I was extending my route home from work to take in some of the lovely smooth roads around Dunham Massey, but first I had to get out through the suburbs of Manchester. When I got to a junction in Flixton I pulled up behind another quite roady looking guy. Still had winter tights on, but maybe he though it would rain. We pulled away from the lights and I found myself following him. I was getting quite close behind him, like 2m sometimes and was actually wondering if I was getting any drafting effect from him as it was quite windy. However, I kept falling behind to 10m as I was often worried about not seeing the potholes coming.

He seemed to be averaging about 28kph so I eased off a couple of times as the road was quite narrow with overtaking cars, so not much chance to pass. After about 2.5km the road widened out and was a slight down slope. Now I like to take a bit of free speed and will happily push downhill, so I sped up and overtook him. I would like to average 30 and though I would ease away from him.

However as I glanced back for the occasional car/junction, I could see he was now following me just as closely. Either I had slowed down a bit or he had sped up to keep up with me. Was he getting revenge for me tailing him? He followed me through Partington until I turned off, thinking 'Well done mate, you win' part annoyed, part sarcastically.

This quite annoys me, these 'Speeder uppers' this one was quite subtle but I have seen other more conspicuous examples where they suddenly realize they want to go faster once they have been passed. I find it a bit off putting and distracting on the road to have someone follow me closely. I think, this isn't a race and if it was you already lost when I caught up to you, why have you changed your tune now?

Just me?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

44 comments

roly | 10 years ago
0 likes

i wouldn't worry about it. someone drafting doesn't slow you down. i sometimes try going faster to see if i can shake them off which is good interval training anyway. i usually have a chat at the next junction to make light of it and if i am drafting i might offer to take over at the front. either way it's not worth worrying over. i personally know that when i'm not very pleasant or chatty it's usually because i've blown it and am struggling to just move. just smile and wave

Alan Tullett replied to roly | 10 years ago
0 likes
roly wrote:

i wouldn't worry about it. someone drafting doesn't slow you down. i sometimes try going faster to see if i can shake them off which is good interval training anyway. i usually have a chat at the next junction to make light of it and if i am drafting i might offer to take over at the front. either way it's not worth worrying over. i personally know that when i'm not very pleasant or chatty it's usually because i've blown it and am struggling to just move. just smile and wave

Actually someone drafting speeds the leading rider up as well! (Very small effect admittedly). And unless they're pretty close it won't make a huge difference to them either. Dangerous to be drafted by someone you don't know though!

Usually a good idea to say hi going past; that generally helps prevent any problems.

TheHatter replied to Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:

Usually a good idea to say hi going past; that generally helps prevent any problems.

+1 (though frankly tragic that it needs to be pointed out)

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wasn't drafting him on purpose, he was blocking me off on a narrow road with no chance to pass him. I was falling back to A) see pot holes, and B) avoid crashing into him (he wasn't pulling away, I was dropping back by coasting.) I don't know how exactly I am supposed to talk to him or ride beside him without being squashed by SUVs. And pointing out potholes would be a full time occupation.

So the key is push up hill and see if he goes with you, then you know he is a leech; then slow right down and develop a mysterious temporary mechanical. As I said the difference wasn't too obvious, but some other people over my shoulder make me think 'just overtake if you want to go faster, or buzz off.'

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

TommyK, you never been on a group ride?
You indicate down with your hands which side the pothole is whilst moving out to the other side of it.

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

It can be yes.Had one on Sunday I went passed said morning and got a glazed look in return, bit rude I thought but he looked like he was blowing? I then dragged him two miles up the road pointing out the potholes/rough road up to the junction at the end and he just rode off the other way without stopping or a word. Leech! Mr Ketchup I’m not biting ha ha.

tommyketchup | 10 years ago
0 likes

How do you point out a pothole? Do you

1. Shout over your shoulder?
2. Swing wildly out of the way screaming 'pothole'?
3. Bunny hop it, and hope he sees you and does the same?
4. Install a pothole warning light at the back, and flick it on each time you go past one?

If the wind is with you, then your voice isnt carried back to said rider. Against you and he has already cycled past the sound  10

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

As per the first answer. Recently someone was drafting me, I pointed out the potholes for him, and he thanked me when we went separate ways shortly afterwards.

pirnie | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why not just say hi and have a chat? If I pass anyone who looks like they're going anywhere near the same pace as I am I'll stop alongside and ride with them for a bit. Find out where they're going/have been etc. I'd do the same if anyone I passed caught back up to me as well.

If you are gonna draft behind him, don't be annoyed if he does the same behind you!! Fair is fair

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

OP, you're overthinking this a bit. Just grunt a hello, then point out holes etc as you would when riding with anyone else. People are nice, working with people makes us go faster.

issacforce | 10 years ago
0 likes

Does it really matter??? U need to chill out, u were,nt racing, and like first post a few passing words would be gud, or is it beyond you.

Argos74 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'll take a secondary or primary position behind an inexperienced cyclist cycling in the gutter to give them a bit of cover. Otherwise, it's drop and move on, or get dropped. It's a tough world.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

So you were drafting him, then you got to a downhill, took a turn on the front and were annoyed because he was drafting you. You have to remember, you were going downhill, everyone pops and extra couple of gears to get more speed going down  4 So he was most likely staying with your because of that.

Also, you mention, he was pulling away at points, so if it got a bit flatter, he would have been keeping with you easy.

I wouldn't worry about it, seems you both had a turn pulling each other, if you seem him again, try pushing another gear or so and try and drop him totally if you are a bit annoyed  3

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

The Rules + etiquette!

I think introductions and greetings could have made this a pleasurable situation for both. He broke a rule by trying to keep on you. However, it doeabt sound like you took into account that he can hit hills anv increase speed just as you can.
I try to overtake up the hill for that reason. It's a great 'just try and keep up' statement to overtake on the incline.

Pages

Latest Comments