Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

ETA cycle breakdown service - anyone used it?

I have the £10 bike breakdown service for me (frequently 75km from home with only a few hexes & chaintool) and my wife (zero tech bike nouse, no desire to obtain it).

It was £10 each 'cos we have our car registered with them too (not bad compared to AA / others). They also do a pan-Europe bike breakdown for an extra £15 a year - would have been very handy in the Ardennes a few weeks back when my front mech imploded 50km from the gite with wife not happy driving Belgian motorways to rescue me (Luckily a bodge meant the ride was finishable in big ring.)

They will take you to a bikeshop, train station or hotel, or home if within 25 miles.

Has anyone used or heard of anyone using them in anger to rescue a stricken cyclist, in the UK or Europe?

I've read a conversation on the CTC forum, where they seem to prefer 'self-insuring' and getting a taxi. Which would involve: finding a taxi, finding a taxi willing to take a bike, and also the cost of getting a long way back home. Certainly overseas, a single phonecall to a UK number and then someone with you within an hour sounds awesome. Even in the UK, the idea of being miles from anywhere trying to arrange taxis etc is not good.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments