Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First Race Bike confusion!

Hi everyone,

So I really would like some advice since I have been on the Internet and also to at least 3 chains of cycle shops to ask the opinions of the staff there and had no help!  14

I'm a very new wannabe roadie looking to get involved in road races and I would like to buy my first road bike.  1

I have already a specialized hybrid with a women's geometric frame which I really enjoy riding and am tempted to go with the same brand with a women's specific frame this time around again; specifically the Dolce.

My good friend has also suggested I get her bike, the Cube Axial WLS but was told today the brand is not that great and the guy regretted buying a Cube.

Another company that runs cycle rides in Wales swear by Merida and I was told to get the Julliet but this sounded too much like a sales pitch slating all the other bike manufacturers.

I'm so confused by all the choice out there so any suggestions would help immensely!  13

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nothing wrong with Cubes, the Agree for example is a good bike.

London-wise, you should be within reasonable distance of Sigma Sport, who are highly regarded.

If you're interested in learning more yourself (in order to better understand the implications of the bike fitting information you receive), you could do a lot worse than reading this:

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/thinking-and-processes/geometry-an...

Once you understand it, and you've got info to show what measurements you need, you can shop around by looking at the geometry charts on bike websites and narrowing down which ones are worth a look. Then you look for local stockists of those brands, assess which ones are helpful, and you'll be well on your way.

Or, if that just sounds geeky, just get the bike fit, let them recommend a bike, then pick the fastest-looking colour!  4 There aren't many bad bikes at that price anyway.

PedalRaptorPedal | 10 years ago
0 likes

Awesome! That's great thank you very much!

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just looking at your profile, it says London.

So have a check here for bike fitting places

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/bike-fitting-in-london/

If can work out cheaper if you contact them, say you are looking at buying a new road bike, they can do the fit and knock a little of the price of a bike if you buy with them  3

Jaltham | 10 years ago
0 likes

Quite a lot of "Womens" bikes these days are just mens bikes with a different paint scheme, if you find a bike that fits you best, get that!
If you're comfortable you will be faster!

0 likes

Sorry stumpy, LBS? I'm not sure what that means...

paulfg42 replied to PedalRaptorPedal | 10 years ago
0 likes
PedalRaptorPedal wrote:

Sorry stumpy, LBS? I'm not sure what that means...

local bike shop

I've got a Cube Agree and it's a great bike. got a Merida hybrid too and I would definitely give their road bikes a look next time I need a bike.

0 likes

Thank you for all your suggestions!

GKam84 or crash do you know how to/where to get a proper bike fit measure done?

I'm looking at spending between £800-£1000 on my first bike, is that a good price range?

Stumps replied to PedalRaptorPedal | 10 years ago
0 likes
PedalRaptorPedal wrote:

Thank you for all your suggestions!

GKam84 or crash do you know how to/where to get a proper bike fit measure done?

I'm looking at spending between £800-£1000 on my first bike, is that a good price range?

Check with your LBS they will tell who does a bike fit in your area. It will cost about £100 but its worth every penny.

As for your price range you can get some brilliant bikes in that range.

jill1morton | 10 years ago
0 likes

I should also say that my bike is not female specific geometry and I am no giant at 5'5".

jill1morton | 10 years ago
0 likes

When I was looking for a carbon bike I quickly came to the conclusion that whatever the bike shop owner rode was the best bike that they could recommend  16 I sickened myself, after months (and after trying approx 5 perfect bikes) I found a bike that I love riding. I paid the money for a bike fit and it was well worth it.

As others have said, do your research, narrow down the list based on what your priorities and budget are and try out the bikes.

crash144019 | 10 years ago
0 likes

No real experience of racing as I ride for transport and fun. That said as previously said. Get a bike fit well worth the money before throwing serious money at a bike and go to a shop and try before you buy. Also ignore branding and gender specific frames. If it works for you then its fine

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its ok listening to recommendations. But unless you get your hands on all of those models and try them out, you won't know.

FIRST things first, if you are looking at becoming a total roadie. GET a bike fit done. You will get the dimensions that are the best fit for you, then compare them to different bikes. A woman's specific frame might not be right at all.

I cannot give any more advice on your problem, because its a hard one. But get a bike fit before going any further.

Latest Comments