Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replace Tyre After Puncture?

Hi All,

Ive had a look at some past topics but cant find anything. Ive just had a puncture from glass, replaced roadside and removed the glass but now there's a 2-3mm "slash" in the tyre. On closer inspection i noticed a few of these which look similar but just havent caused punctures. I ride Gatorskins which i guess are fairly tough, but should i be worried about these and replace? When properly inflated the "slashes" are small enough not to open up.
Cheers  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

oddbydefault | 10 years ago
0 likes

My front Gatorskin (28) has done 3500 miles+ over some awful city streets and country roads. It's had one puncture (from a direct edge hit on a massive shard of glass) but is otherwise absolutely pitted with cuts and holes, many of them millimiters wide / long, which have expanded over time.

I've never bothered glueing them, just tweezered out the glass and carried on.

Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes

E6000 was recommended to me; it's flexible so seems to work pretty well.

That said, if the carcass is damaged bin it!

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

wetsuit glue gets good reports

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Copydex?

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes
cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

There is some other type of glue that someone was on about recently, a kiwi if i remember, who went a little more indepth about it stating that superglue was too hard and didn't give so not the best i shall have a look for it in the forum and post the link.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Inflate to the pressure you run, then get a torch and spin the wheel slowly, looking for little nicks of glass, take the glass out and replace with a little super glue. It'll keep your tyres going a little longer.

Anything you can fit your pinky finger nail into, replace the tyre

Latest Comments