Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling in France

Right, I somehow managed to be selected to join a band of intrepid cyclists making their way from Paris to London. So far the training is going ok. I commute and am averaging 200 miles per week on an 80 inch fixed wheel with a few wee extras tagged on. What I really need to know is. What can I do recovery wise between each day while on the road? Nutritionally etc. also, what can I expect on the French side from drivers etc as I have never cycled mainland Europe before. I know what to expect once I hit the shores of this green and pleasant land though  2
thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Manchestercyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

Eat between 12 and 2. That's when the cafés will be open and the shops shut. Outside those hours it's the opposite. At least in the cantal (where I often visit) it is always true. The drivers are very considerate too. Best of luck.

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

I cycled in France for the first time last summer, only trouble I had was from a car with GB plates  2

Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think a lot of shops still close for lunch so that's something to bear in mind if you need supplies in the middle of the day

cojones | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm doing London to Paris this year and the event guide/manual says to stock up on food at lunchtime as the evening meals are a 'bit basic'. Obviously this depends on the company organising the ride and the places you stay but it's worth being aware of. Stick a couple of Soreens in your luggage and chomp away on that as you go!

I've only ridden on the atlantic coast but generally roads are good so you spend less time scanning for pot holes and cracks than you do here, drivers on the most part are considerate and give you plenty of room and wait until it's safe to pass (probably because they don't have to dodge cyclists making last minute swerves to avoid 6" deep potholes)!

rJD | 10 years ago
0 likes

My experience is limited to Brittany but, there, drivers were *exceptionally* thoughtful & considerate to cyclists, though city centres (like anywhere) could be really manic.

Latest Comments