Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrading a "cheap" bike

Hello,

My question is about upgrading a road bike. I intend to buy a fairly old road bike (gt force with that different frame shape around seat tube). Here's the deal, it is quite cheap and it comes with shimano 105 groupset (which I believe is good bargain for the price). Is that simple to upgrade the frame? You go buy a frame transfer all other components and that's it?
I hope I didn't make a mess out of it.
Thank you for any help.

Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd factor in £20 or so for new cables too.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

width of the stays and forks might need to be checked for the wheels, it should be okay they are usually a standard size. Steel will bend a little but carbon wont. at all.

Handlebars should be fine too just make sure your stem and the bars are same sizes. Its just a question of making sure things are the same sizes really. Double check everything and if your unsure make friends with a bike shop (if your not already) they'll recommend the best parts for you I'd imagine!

DofeDome | 10 years ago
0 likes

Okay, would I be able to keep handlebars just replacing the stem? It seems that there wouldn't be too much fiddling if all the sizes are standard. Are wheel sizes of any importance there? Thank you again  1

abandoneur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Going to have to check the size of the band on front derailleur, seat post, steering post (should be standard). But mainly the dimensions of the front derailleur and the seat post.

I'm currently doing something similar at the moment!

Oh, the headset will need to be replaced aswell.. maybe, then you will need dimensions etc for that.

Latest Comments