Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shoes Advice please

Hi All,

looking for some feedback on what road shoes people are wearing and enjoying at the moment.
I have some Northwave Typhoons - Carbon sole but the ratchet buckle is going and the heels have had to be replaced twice in a year.

Realistically budget is £100-150
Would like stiff Fibre glass or carbon (latter preferred)
I have wide feet, size 44

Any feedback would be great, it's a bit of mindfield out there at the moment for shoes.

Joel.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

I_like_bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys really great feedback - i too was looking at Sidi and Specialized but sizing is my worry so going to pop into an LBS and try some on.
Never looked at Fizik but going to give them a try too.

Has anyone tried the Bont A Three - i know its a fiberglass shell but road.cc seems to rate them as very stiff.
Interested to know how the self-moulding came out.

Spooks | 10 years ago
0 likes

Tried on a pair of Fizik at the weekend and comfort was astonishing, I have a small but wide foot with a huge arch and these were supportive and super comfy........ Now saving for a set of R3's. Sizes seemed to come up small though

S1lver | 10 years ago
0 likes

For my first pair of shoes I bought the Mavic Avenir shoes simply because they were only £50 and it seemed like good bargain. I got them a half a UK size larger than I usually do (10 instead of 9.5) and they are a really good, comfortable fit. Although I don't ratchet the top down too much otherwise it makes my toes numb!

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've just bought some Giro Factors, in my size this time. First ride today and they're bloody marvelous. Lightweight, comfy, look good, great ratchet. Also they come with different arch supports, which is nice.

I've got a brand new pair of size 44s for sale which didn't fit me, if you're interested... though I suspect if you're a 44 in real shoes they will also be too small for you.

Skeletor | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sidi do also make their "Mega" series which are a wider fit than their usual counterparts. Might be worth a look. Nothing will beat going into a shop and trying a few on. I've been through Sidi, Mavic and have finally settled on Specialized which I love, but only because they fit me...which is only something done by trying a few on...

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I found Sidi to be very narrow though. Specialized, while they don't have the brand cachet of Sidi (or indeed general loveliness!), are wider. My 44s are very good, but as I only bought a lower-level pair, not that stiff (5.0). Go a little upmarket in their range and you may find what you're after.

Spofferoonie | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sidi. Anything by Sidi - had an issue with by road shoes not being stiff enough, switched to Sidi and hardly know I'm wearing them.

big shug | 10 years ago
0 likes

Really like my Giro Trans - proper sensible black with some shiny bits and a clicky ratchet; plus instep inserts. Have been comfortable on 100+k rides and have toe ventilation - not needed yet this year!

Latest Comments