Bike Fitting in Scotland

by Cyclosis   April 23, 2013  

Hi Folks,

Anyone got a recommendation for a good bike fitter in Scotland? Preferably in Glasgow, but I'd be willing to travel for some real experience.

Thanks,

Jim

8 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I haven't used them but I know Dales has a fitting room and also AthElite in Hamilton offers a full Retul fit.

netclectic's picture

posted by netclectic [116 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 15:59

like this
Like (1)

Dales seems to have a long waiting list — but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone have direct experience?

Having had an injury, I'm keen to work with someone with some solid bio-mechanics knowledge.

Is that place in Hamilton still open? The Retul thing looks interesting, but is it a 'fitting by numbers' approach without the need for experience/knowledge?

Jim

posted by Cyclosis [33 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 16:11

like this
Like (1)

AthElite aren't listed on the Retul site anymore, there is one in Stirling though - https://www.retul.com/find-a-fitter/#/United%20Kingdom

I had a Retul fit at Bikescience in Bristol and it definitely wansn't just a 'fitting by numbers', it was a 2+ hour session tailored specifically to my needs. I have a sizable leg length difference from an old motorbike injury and the fitting made a huge difference for me.

I would suggest you give them a call and tell them about the specifics of your injury.

It worked for me.
Good luck!

netclectic's picture

posted by netclectic [116 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 16:52

like this
Like (1)

Only place I know of is Dales. Possibly Alpine bikes at bottom of Great Western. The bike show is on this weekend at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome. You may be able to find a contact there.

giff77's picture

posted by giff77 [1032 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 18:20

like this
Like (1)

Both alpine bikes in Glasgow do fitting as well, but i think the one that became a Trek concept in townhead has motion capture etc. available if you're so inclined.

posted by mhtt [41 posts]
24th April 2013 - 0:12

like this
Like (2)

Craig Hardie at Hardie Bikes is the man to speak to.

More inane drivel at @andybris

posted by Andybris [11 posts]
26th April 2013 - 13:26

like this
Like (2)

I'd also recommend Craig Hardie or, if you'd prefer somewhere closer to home, the Trek Concept store at Tiso Glasgow Outdoor Experience.

I've been fitted by Craig and know quite a few people who have also been fitted by him or at Alpine Bikes in Edinburgh. They both use the Trek Fit system which, like any good bike fit should, take into account your own range of movement and any potential imbalances or injuries you may have. Don't be put off by it being Trek branded either, you won't get a hard sell, only recommendations for what changes to make to improve your fit. Everyone i know who has had one has been impressed, even people who didn't feel there was anything wrong with their position on the bike.

From what i've been told, I don't have any direct experience of the Retul system, Retul and Trek are quite similar, especially with the motion capture technology that has been added recently. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Just to end this essay, have a look at Cancellara on his solo run to win Flanders; the people that do the Trek fit training in the UK did the Radioshak team bike fits at an early season training camp - if seeing how good and comfortable he looks on the bike isn't a good advert for bike fitting I don't know what is.

tl:dr
get a Trek or Retul fit, you won't regret it Smile

posted by mustard [72 posts]
26th April 2013 - 17:39

like this
Like (1)

Not used them , yet, but in looking at the set up at Hardie Bikes in Cairneyhill, Fife, looks like a fairly intensive and full on fitting.

Je vie dans l'espoir constant

Strathlubnaig's picture

posted by Strathlubnaig [113 posts]
27th April 2013 - 21:46

like this
Like (0)