Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

selecting a new bike - HELP!!

My mind is boggled with bikes, weights, groupsets, wheels ...
I currently ride a 2012 Raleigh Road Race. Its heavy to say the least and was always going to be a starting out bike for me to test the water with road cycling so to speak.

Now, I'm looking for a new bike, carbon or alloy, I'm not sure for summer.
I know I want a much lighter bike & shimano 105 at least.

My heart is set on a Ribble Evo Pro Carbon Naked. I've built it on the website with the following & looking for any sort of advice. If you have a ribble, would you suggest another bike for the same price bracket etc

52 frame
ribble headset 1 1/8
Shimano 105 groupset
Fulcrum racing 7 wheels
Ritchey comp road curve bars
Ritchey pro 4 axis 44
ITM headset carbon spacer
Fizik Ardea saddle
Ritchey comp v2 seatpillar
Michelin lithion 2 folding tyre
Continental inner tube
Fizik bar tap
& look keo classic pedals.

Everything on it is pretty much my dream bike. Don't know how light it will be or whether theres a better deal out there. Think it totals £1,279.

Thanks  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

The Ultimate AL is a lot of bike for the money. Both the 105 and Athena equipped models look great value and the frame is the same as the road.cc bike of the year. Well worth a look.

I've run Campag for thousands of miles and never noticed a racket so that's a new one on me.

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

If it's the bike you, as you say, have set your heart on then go for it.

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi im in the same predicament and after weeks of umming and ahhing ive trimmed my wish list down to the Canyon Roadlite 7.0 or £1300 for a Forme Axe Edge Comp (carbon),wheelset-4za cirrus clincher , groupset- campagnolo veloce, tyres schwalbe lugano

GillyMac88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Lots to consider then
I'll mess around on ribble again with the wheels your advising.

Dont know how good Ribbles are but I suppose they are what you make of them spec wise?!

Thanks again for your input guys  1

gavcsmith | 10 years ago
0 likes

agreed, would not use those wheels, go for Mavic Kysrium Elite's. Good weight and indestructible wheels , shimano 105 compatabile.

IMO.. unless you are looking at CAT 1/2 racing, getting out on your bike and riding it will make you loose weight, which is a greater advantage to you than paying a lot for a light bike..

GillyMac88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers!
I am totally lost as you can see! I thought R7 were fairly light so this is a great help!
Never considered campag as was informed at the weekend they make a racket when changing gear?

Ive also been told that the Ultimate AL by Canyon is a decent bike for my budget. Thoughts?

Im thinking about weight of the bike. Hoping to start racing this summer.

And being quite pedantic about stuff is my problem!

Thanks for your help again  4

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

For £1367 you could get the same bike with Campagnolo Veloce and Zonda wheels which I reckon is a great deal better value.

But that's no help if the OP wants a 105 drivetrain.

Since the Ribble is the bike you want then just go for it. I'd choose R501s (a safe bet) then swap them to the 'winter' bike when you can justify lighter hoops such as Ultegra 6700, which are underrated IMHO, or some nice handbuilts.

Bedfordshire Clanger replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:
Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

For £1367 you could get the same bike with Campagnolo Veloce and Zonda wheels which I reckon is a great deal better value.

But that's no help if the OP wants a 105 drivetrain.

Since the Ribble is the bike you want then just go for it. I'd choose R501s (a safe bet) then swap them to the 'winter' bike when you can justify lighter hoops such as Ultegra 6700, which are underrated IMHO, or some nice handbuilts.

I interpreted the OP to have 105 as a minimum spec. I think that Veloce is comparable to 105 hence the suggestion. If I'm wrong, I bow to your superior pendantry.

Personally, I wouldn't go for R501 over R7 and I wouldn't spec either on a 'dream bike'

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for better wheels. R7 are robust and quick rolling but heavy and the freehub makes a racket too. For £1367 you could get the same bike with Campagnolo Veloce and Zonda wheels which I reckon is a great deal better value.

Latest Comments