Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sub £1000 Carbon

Dear All

Newbie looking for some advice. I have a Ribble Winter Audax for the commute and light touring. I would like to get a more sporty/lighter Carbon bike for the weekend rides. Live in the Peak District so lighter = better. I have narrowed the search down to Planet X Pro Carbon (as would have to buy on cyclescheme)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV13/planet_x_pro_carbon_sra...

I like the look and the spec. Are there any other sub £1000 equivalents I should be looking at?

Many thanks for any help, Simon

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you don't get tempted by upgrades, what about another Ribble?

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm going to suffix my last post by saying I do now really want a new frameset, but that's because I'm an idiot who permanently wants new shiny things. The frame is great, and I've never once come close to finding its limits - though that might say more about my cautious descending and cornering than the frame itself. Whatever, for 40-45mph descents, it feels stable, and when I have the balls to point it into high speed corners, it sticks to the road.
Think there might be a tiny bit of flex when I really put power through it in the climbs - I can hear a little creak or two - but nothing to affect your performance drastically.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got the SL Pro frameset built up to a different spec, and I think it's a decent frame. For the money, it's brilliant... and the spec you get on it is very good value (though I think you'd want to upgrade the wheels as soon as you could).

Might be worth seeing what you can get for a grand from Canyon too.

ilovemytinbred | 10 years ago
0 likes

yep if you can find a Caad 10 for around a £1000 it would be great. A while back they were cheaper than that, but everything seems more expensive every time I look. I think it is a great bike, far superior to a lot of carbon bikes I have ridden.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a £1k bike in carbon, but with hindsight I may have been better with alu. My mate's Trek 1.9 rides better. I'd check out a CAAD.

bikerdavecycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

Je James I think it was, are doing carbon Peugeot with Campagnolo Veloce for £899. Great deal, especially if you want Campag.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mekk poggio 2.0, 2012 is still available at wiggle. Picked one up myself and its a stunner. (brakes are a bit naff though)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p20-105/

Don't write ally off though the CAAD8 6 Tiagra is a good'un

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad8-6-tiagra-2013-compa...

Always gets a good write up and was going to be my choice if the Mekk fell through on the sizes (which it almost did)

Latest Comments