Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

perfect training for great legs?

I used the wife's eliptical cross trainer last Friday and boy they were sore (doms) the following day! I thought I had stuffed myself for our regular Sunday club run. But, come sunday morning, I climbed onto the bike and the legs were fine. Climbed off at the cafe stop and they felt sore ( doms etc), climbed back on the bike,for the return journey, and they were ok.
I think this proves that cycling doesn't give your legs a complete work out. I am now going to include the cross trainer in my routine as long as the wife lets me use it  1
Has any one else got any comments?/observations?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Gary rb | 10 years ago
0 likes

A clip from the article mentioned by 'Shred' above:

I think a better question is what are you doing off the machine that combats what it may potentially do to your body on it? Using one periodically, and you can most likely get by relatively unscathed.

Like cycling, if you stay on top of insuring proper function of what I like to call “the big three” (glutes, lower abdominal wall and lats), you can most likely use one and not have it affect you all that much.

If you do use one for your cardiovascular activity, I’d recommend limiting your exposure each week, and be sure to add in running if you are able to, hiking when you can, swimming if you’ve got access to a pool and riding a bike if you’ve got one.

so like many activities there are pros and cons to be aware of.....even cycling  1

Gary rb | 10 years ago
0 likes

thanks for your replies,
my way of thinking was that the cross trainer will strengthen the muscles that cycling may not work as hard and give a better balance of power for the legs on the whole. It felt that it was working the muscles cycling was missing. It will not replace specific cycle training but maybe enhance it and offer some variety. As it will not be used often I don't think it could do any harm and of course a good stretch afterwards would be good practice.

ilovemytinbred | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cycling does work the legs differently to running and probably also differently to the trainer you are using. So for general conditioning then why not? However do not assume it will improve your cycling (if that is your aim) and it reduces how much specific training you can do on the bike as you will be recovering from you cross training. Basically if you want to be fast on your bike, all of your cv training should be on the bike (that is my view anyway). Personally I would just do a bit of strength/core work instead.

Shred | 10 years ago
0 likes

There have been some talk that they can cause shorter hip flexors and other imbalances. They are probably fine to use for all round strength, but be sure to stretch as usual.

http://veloreviews.com/blog/2012/06/20/elliptical-machine-friend-or-foe/

Latest Comments