Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Speedplay zero pedals

Got myself a set of speedplay pedals and after fitting realised your supposed to use some dry lube of which I have none. Can I use some grease for the bearings as a temp measure for my ride tomoz?
Also how much force is considered normal....... Takes all my 66kg to clip the right pedal in. Considering how bad I am at clipping in this may be amusing to the group tommorrow on our Sunday ride

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh I was just going to recommend doing exactly that - the suggested torq seems too low otherwise. I find that tightening through 2 notches (so it's hand tight) works a treat.

therevokid | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you do the 4 cleat screws up tighter than nipped up +
1/4 turn they're a pain to get in/out as well ...  1

MattT53 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah they take a few weeks before clipping in gets easy. Mine are easier than SPDs to get in/out of now. My big tip would be to use some Locktite/Threadlocker on the cleat screws or they end up disappearing. Dry chain lube on the cleat after every few rides or they sound a bit creaky.

Yorkshie Whippet | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've used Speedplay X's for over ten years and tried Zeros last year. Being a lightwieght I found clipping in became a pain in the hip. Since going back to X-series I've had no issues.

As for lube, GT-85 or Finish Line dry are good.Don't use wet or ceramic as these just discolour everything.

Anyone want a set of hardly used whitish Zeros, ti axle???:-)

steventhefifer replied to Yorkshie Whippet | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

Are the Speedplay Zero's, still for sale? If so, how much use, price and any photos available?

Regards,

Steven

netclectic | 10 years ago
0 likes

I find a little twist of the heel (out to in) can help if they are a little stiff but it's generally not a problem. Though I do have 80kg to help.

Spooks | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well as it was wet today it helped clipping in today and they felt good, still very concerned as to how much force is needed though. Will try a few more rides and go from there. Cheers for the info guys
S

MrsK | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have found them a massive pain in the arse to clip into but once you are there the lateral movement and degree of attachedness to the is awesome. If you stand in some mud waiting for a car to pass they are rubbish.

Very pretty though.

Ghostie | 10 years ago
0 likes

Pretty much echoing the above, but I think they are quite high maintenance. As a former Speedplay Zero user (disliked them - gone back to SPD SLs) a spot of dry lube (not grease) needs to be applied to the cleats as mentioned above. I think the use of grease is not recommended mostly to stop the cleats attracting grit, which could make it harder to unclip. You may need to readjust the screws on the cleat regularly as well to help with clipping in as these can loosen depending how often you clip in/out during a ride, which, in my experience, made clipping in harder the next time round. I also found it was necessary to clean the cleats and reapply lube regularly otherwise I couldn't clip in. They take a while to break in, so no I wouldn't use for a Sunday club ride without at least getting on and off with the bike stationery to ensure that you can clip in and out successfully. Personally, I found them initially like learning to use clipless pedals for the first time, but they are okay once they are broken in - a lot of people love them.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just use gt-85 or something in the meantime. The force required will get easier - try clipping in and out a good few times on your way to meet the group. They are worth the effort.

daveih | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have used speed plays for tears. Not sure what you mean re the lube/grease. They are pretty maintenance free. I grease the bearings once in a while, not that often. I also use dry lube on the cleats one a while to help clipping in out
As for the force needed, if yours are new, they will require more force, they will become easier as tie goes by

Latest Comments