Tour De Romandie

by stumps   April 20, 2013  

With only 3 days till the race starts are we going to get it opened before the end of the weekend. Impatient i know but i'm at work Monday and the kids of an evening makes it kind of difficult.

98 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

This one is a bit of a lottery.....but for fantasy purposes I think thats its just what we need to get the pulses racing....Not many safe option picks in this one,as we all know from our pre-race tinkering....Good luck to all... Smile

"Shut up enrique"

STEVESPRO 79's picture

posted by STEVESPRO 79 [487 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 13:06

like this
Like (6)

The race could go any number of ways and I don't think that we'll really know who's a contender until the end of today.

Hesjedal/Betancur are both racing the Giro so likely won't go hard for the full race, Gesink too (although he perhaps has more to prove) and then there's the likes of Moreno who might feel he needs time in the hills before the final time trial so the race could really break up.

Add on top of that the fact that three of six days are 'transitional' stages and it may be that picking obvious single stage point scorers (Martin for the TT, Pinot/Rolland for the queen stage) might not be the best tactic. A team with Gavazzi, Dumoulin or Meersman might take three stages and a raft of top 10s and put us all to shame but I was afraid of how unpredictable that may be and stuck to the safer option of climbers.

Also, my biggest concern for this week is not picking Albasini...

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 13:12

like this
Like (6)

ray silvester wrote:

2)Anyone know the cut off point for youth eligibility? Is Talansky eleigible?

For a reason I cannot find, Talansky is not eligible for the young riders Jersey despite still being under 25 Thinking
I was only able to confirm this once the startlist for the prologue was produced, so apologies if this affected your selecting riders.

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3879 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 13:26

like this
Like (5)

I think Dumoulin could top 10 in the prologue...
Then i went Gavazzi and Bouet for tomorrow in my standard and just Meersman in my purist. but I plan on bringing Meersman into my standard after today.

23rd April 2013 - 13:27

like this
Like (4)

Meersman, Nizzollo, Dumoulin, those are the riders I'm looking at for later in the week.

Probably will avoid Matthews if he's working for Goss, and no idea how Cav will do on the 'flat' stages. But there's plenty of sprinting options in the race with Viviani, Bookwalter, Blythe and Ferrari all racing.

23rd April 2013 - 13:32

like this
Like (4)

Que Sera, Sera......Whatever will be, will be.....

"Shut up enrique"

STEVESPRO 79's picture

23rd April 2013 - 13:34

like this
Like (5)

drheaton wrote:
Ghedebrav wrote:
Hoogerland seems pretty bargainous, but somehow he won't fit in my purist (it's him or Grabsch, and I'm going Grabsch). Other than that I'm pretty settled on my team, not too much hair-tearing. Worth bearing in mind that it's a short tour and there are two TTs Smile

Hoogerland is an odd one, he's cheap because he hasn't scrored points. I hate to say it but I think to a certain extent his career is built on being knocked off in the Tour, I don't remember him ever doing much else.

Hoogerland 4th from the first six. He's certainly not going to do anything today.

philip unwin

posted by Philip Unwin [775 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 13:43

like this
Like (7)

Live leaderboard here - Brajkovic the early leader!

http://www.matsport.fr.php53-23.ord1-1.websitetestlink.com/Tribune/index...

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1596 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 13:49

like this
Like (6)

We all fell in love with Johnny as a result of some shi*e driving and a barbed wire fence...sadly his legs dont match his heart at this level.... Sad

"Shut up enrique"

STEVESPRO 79's picture

23rd April 2013 - 13:52

like this
Like (3)

1 122 BOARO M. TST 13:44.740
2 101 BRAJKOVIC J. AST 01
3 81 GESINK R. BLA 06
4 53 DENNIS R.* GRS 21
5 15 IGNATENKO P. KAT 24
6 172 BILLE G. LTB 36
7 22 BAKELANTS J. RLT 44
8 42 BRAMBILLA G. OPQ ST
9 92 BÉRARD J. ALM 45
10 155 MOUREY F. FDJ 46

So far...

Gesink showing well Smile

23rd April 2013 - 14:04

like this
Like (5)

Early days, but Kelderman has just topped the above!

chrisdstripes's picture

23rd April 2013 - 14:08

like this
Like (6)

Adam Blythe's had a bit of a mare - 24 secs slower than anyone else at the mo, and 3:27 behind Kelderman. Could be a good shout for last man home which might be good news for anyone that picked him with tomorrow in mind...

chrisdstripes's picture

23rd April 2013 - 14:18

like this
Like (3)

Depends, that's some 30% over Kelderman's time so could he be out of the time limit?

23rd April 2013 - 14:23

like this
Like (10)

Blimey, you're right - maybe he crashed?

Ruben Plaza just gone 2nd - continuing his good form...

chrisdstripes's picture

23rd April 2013 - 14:36

like this
Like (4)

Avoided the big names and packed my team with cheaper GC riders and watched them all fail:

Spilak-rubbish
Peraud- Who?
Martin-surely should have done better?

The Talansky/Porte double did okay.

I was just wondering how Froome gets to TT better than Talansky and Porte and Martin given past results? Is it just me or does it seem a little odd? Just thinking out loud, and I know I probably shouldn't doubt so much, but to be honest I am a bit worried by performances like that.....

posted by stevemarks [409 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 17:07

like this
Like (4)

stevemarks wrote:
I was just wondering how Froome gets to TT better than Talansky and Porte and Martin given past results? Is it just me or does it seem a little odd? Just thinking out loud, and I know I probably shouldn't doubt so much, but to be honest I am a bit worried by performances like that.....

Um, Froome took second in a couple of long TTs at last years TdF (beating Porte, Van Garderen, Evans, Chavanel and only losing out to Wiggins) and took bronze at the olympics (when he wasn't far behind Martin on a flat course less suited to him). It's not as if he's never done well in a TT before.

Likewise, this is a hilly TT where climbing was more important than pure power (why Martin was down in 16th). This isn't a surprise.

23rd April 2013 - 17:16

like this
Like (5)

drheaton wrote:
stevemarks wrote:

Um, Froome took second in a couple of long TTs at last years TdF (beating Porte, Van Garderen, Evans, Chavanel and only losing out to Wiggins) and took bronze at the olympics (when he wasn't far behind Martin on a flat course less suited to him). It's not as if he's never done well in a TT before.

Likewise, this is a hilly TT where climbing was more important than pure power (why Martin was down in 16th). This isn't a surprise.

I accept all that; I am aware that Froome is a good TT guy, and I am not surprised that he did well, just a little surprised that he did so well. When Quintana did well in a TT recently questions were asked widely, and I was shocked by that reaction as I thought it was not a surprise. Maybe it's just sour grapes that I didn't pick him, I dont know, but I have had a gut reaction about some of his performances before and maybe I am biased against him, maybe it's something I should get over, but it's still eating away at me a bit and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Sick Sick Sick

posted by stevemarks [409 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 17:50

like this
Like (3)

For me, there's a line between believable and questionable. Froome and Quintana's performances were well on the right side of believable given recent form and their respectively solid TT results.

It's hard to find the line sometimes. When Gaudin won the Paris-Nice prologue I had no idea who he was but as a track cyclist a strong prologue shouldn't have been a shock.

23rd April 2013 - 18:20

like this
Like (7)

If you had been following Froome's career for the past 5 or 6 six years from his Barloworld days you would have seen a steady improvement in both his climbing and his TTs. His performances are in line with his age. he couldn't stay with the podium winners in last years Vuelta day after day in the mountains, that's where I would be asking questions.

philip unwin

posted by Philip Unwin [775 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 19:31

like this
Like (3)

I think Froome and various Colombians have come to the fore because their natural advantages due to their birth/upbringing at high altitudes are now NOT being negated by widespread doping.

posted by ray silvester [1808 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 20:29

like this
Like (7)

Not sure altitude plays as large a part as you may think, read this:

http://inrng.com/2013/04/colombia-cycling-altitude/

23rd April 2013 - 20:31

like this
Like (4)

TERatcliffe26 wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

For a reason I cannot find, Talansky is not eligible for the young riders Jersey despite still being under 25 Thinking
I was only able to confirm this once the startlist for the prologue was produced, so apologies if this affected your selecting riders.

I think some tours have lower age limits for qualification hence the question....no hard feelings for what you believed was the correct answer Wink

A good TT for Pinot bodes well for his future as a GC guy and his battles with Tejay could be the future of the sport?

23rd April 2013 - 20:31

like this
Like (8)

Totally agree with Stevemarks comments....This was a tough prologue to call but in all honesty I think its utter bolloc*s when riders enter a race and then dont give 100%.....Spilak and Peraud could not have gone harder on that stage, given current form, I dont think so.......

"Shut up enrique"

STEVESPRO 79's picture

23rd April 2013 - 21:59

like this
Like (5)

I'm convinced Spilak and Peraud actually gave 100%. They were in excellent shape at Pais Vasco, couple weeks ago. Many riders were sick afterwards and it's not easy to mantain that shape tho (recover without losing form). A lot of riders racing Romandie are close to peak form between Ardennes and Giro. Not anyone can be top 20 on any day. There are many factors that can be decisive in a 7.5 km prologue (shape, mental strength, preparation, weather). Spilak is on my team too and I expect some fine racing from him this week. Thinking Big Grin

posted by arsene [217 posts]
23rd April 2013 - 22:22

like this
Like (6)

ray silvester wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

I think some tours have lower age limits for qualification hence the question....no hard feelings for what you believed was the correct answer Wink

A good TT for Pinot bodes well for his future as a GC guy and his battles with Tejay could be the future of the sport?

No worries, Its the cut off that confuses me, Nizzolo was 24 in Jan and is classed as a young rider, Talanksy was 24 in Nov and is not classed as a young rider, so maybe it has something to do with age on Jan 1st of the calender year?

Pinot surprised me as did a few others, including Clement considering it was so hilly. Could well be interesting, id throw Talansky, Betancur and Quintana in the mix too

23rd April 2013 - 22:42

like this
Like (9)

arsene wrote:
I'm convinced Spilak and Peraud actually gave 100%. They were in excellent shape at Pais Vasco, couple weeks ago. Many riders were sick afterwards and it's not easy to mantain that shape tho (recover without losing form). A lot of riders racing Romandie are close to peak form between Ardennes and Giro. Not anyone can be top 20 on any day. There are many factors that can be decisive in a 7.5 km prologue (shape, mental strength, preparation, weather). Spilak is on my team too and I expect some fine racing from him this week. Thinking Big Grin

Sorry but Im just not buying into that philosophy...Stage was made for Spilak,Peraud and Velits....FACT...they did not ride...

"Shut up enrique"

STEVESPRO 79's picture

23rd April 2013 - 22:48

like this
Like (5)

drheaton wrote:

Good article

24th April 2013 - 0:14

like this
Like (7)

ray silvester wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Good article

Interesting read with some witty comments.....Rigoberto Uran...team Sky's `mane` man.... Smile

"Shut up enrique"

STEVESPRO 79's picture

24th April 2013 - 7:42

like this
Like (6)

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:
ray silvester wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Good article

Interesting read with some witty comments.....Rigoberto Uran...team Sky's `mane` man.... Smile

But if it's to do with attitude rather than altitude then why are their great riders(Colombia) all climbers?

24th April 2013 - 17:41

like this
Like (7)

In Columbia there are more mountains, less flat roads, and to do well on the local junior scene you need to climb. Perhaps its a failing of the system but it just doesn't seem set up to produce sprinters.

24th April 2013 - 18:44

like this
Like (5)