Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro del Trentino - stages 1a and 1b

Is anyone else having a real headache picking teams for this race?  I can't decide what to do for the first day (is stage 1a a sprinty or climby stage!?) and there seems to be a lack of pickable mid price climbers.  There are the expensive (30+) GC guys and the cheap 10 credit and under riders but in between are a lot of riders I think are overpriced or unlikely to do anything.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

73 comments

drheaton replied to simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:

Stage 1a is underway so you've got just over an hour to figure out who's in the break and get them into your team. Bit of a cockup with the deadlines there I feel.

It happens, stage start times move around and it's often difficult to keep a track of them. As it's set and people would have been working to that deadline it seems fair to leave it as is.

For what it's worth I don't think it affects too much today with only one sprint and a cat 2 climb it won't be a high scoring break. Even if a break does get away I don' plan on changing my team as it's stacked towards the finish and later stages anyway.

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've gone big with my selection hoping to save transfers for when obvious changes become apparent  26

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

All done, that was a headache - 2 of my guys were on the list of removed riders yesterday so more late changes. Thought stages 1a and 3 looked difficult to predict, so have mainly gone with guys from the better TTT teams for standard, and climbers for stages 2 and 4 in purist. Very low expectations for today!

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Im gonna do a last update now, he wasn't on when I changed them earlier and Ive been out at work. Must have been a fair few changes today

Edit that, seems they have already been done for me, Cheers for that Dave, Dan or Keith, whoever updated them

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you want to put him in change the filter to all riders

obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Headache is right. Astana, BMC and Sky riders for me. Then some decent DS climbers.

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

Quite a few discrepancies between riders list and PCS startlists......particularly Bardiani Valvole(or COG as we call it!!).

looks like a 9am check if we've got a 10am deadline!!

davemchol | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is Oscar Gatto on the startlist for this race? dont think he is on the stage list?

Philip Unwin replied to davemchol | 10 years ago
0 likes
davemchol wrote:

Is Oscar Gatto on the startlist for this race? dont think he is on the stage list?

He is on the startlists I have seen, but you're right he's not down on the game.  7

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think it could be a low-scoring stage - very few obvious picks, if any! I've got one sprinter (and another kind-of sprinter) just in case the climb is deceptively not-too-bad, but mainly I've just gone for good riders in teams that might do well in the TTT, and hope for the best...

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

it depends how you look it at and what type of rider you expect to be there at the end. I have 1 out and out sprinter, one guy who can sprint but considering where he finished on the final stage of criterium internationl he can defo climb too. another who can sprint and climb. A guy who you wouldn't call a sprinter but should make the selection and has recent form. Another that should make the selection but is not really in for this stage. And two cheap riders. Also 2 GC guys and 1 eye on a solid total for part b.

apart from the cheap guys and 1 GC contender all those riders above are between 30 and 10 credits, including 1 i consider to be a GC rider.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

i reckon the climb on stage 1 is long enough and near enough to the end to mean the sprinters will get dropped and won't have time to get back on. it's a really steady climb, the kind that sky like to push the tempo on rather than an attacker's climb

adholman | 10 years ago
0 likes

its a tough choice. my team emphasises riders from teams i expect to do well in the TTT, who might also do well in what i expect will be a sprint finish (perhaps from a reduced bunch) in the morning road stage.

Pages

Latest Comments