Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Strict Liability Campaign

Cycling Campaign to bring Scotland in line with the rest of Europe.

This has launched this morning in Scotland (separate legal system from rest of UK as most of you probably know).

http://www.cycling-accident-compensation.co.uk/strict-liability.aspx

Long needed but I would have liked to see the emphasis shared with predestrians as well as cyclists which could help to broaden support.

England & Wales to follow?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mixed views on this. The campaign's focus on compensation is probably going to give the wrong message, when it should just focus on improved safety of vulnerable road users.

So although there may be some spin off benefit as less motorists would get away with injuring cyclists, I imagine most accidents are simply that -they are not deliberate and would have happened anyway.

Also it will antagonise the non-cycling motorist and contribute to 'them and us' perception.

How about focusing on proper punishment of drivers when they are to blame?

mrmo replied to 700c | 11 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

I imagine most accidents are simply that -they are not deliberate and would have happened anyway.

How often do cars suddenly just break, suddenly just crash?

Or

How often do drivers misjudge a gap, not pay attention, claim to be blinded by a low sun, not change bald car tyres, drive at inappropriate speed, use the phone, etc etc etc.

There are very few "accidents" there are alot of incidents where if the driver was paying attention no one would have been killed or injured.

Latest Comments