Giro D' Italia Roster

by enrique   April 13, 2013  

Smile Just wanted to point out Levi Leipheimer is listed for the Giro! Smile

Still with Omega Pharma-Quick Step at 18.9 points! Smile

76 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

I don't know if the game roster has been fully updated. If not could I just point out that Ivan Basso has had to pull out and has been replaced by Damiano Caruso.

philip unwin

posted by Philip Unwin [714 posts]
2nd May 2013 - 9:21

like this
Like (0)

There will be some last minute changes and it's likely an update will be required at least a couple more times before Saturday.

No doubt one will be done today and another tomorrow to tidy up any last minute changes. If Dave doesn't get chance I'll have a look over lunch.

posted by drheaton [3350 posts]
2nd May 2013 - 9:31

like this
Like (0)

drheaton wrote:
There will be some last minute changes and it's likely an update will be required at least a couple more times before Saturday.

No doubt one will be done today and another tomorrow to tidy up any last minute changes. If Dave doesn't get chance I'll have a look over lunch.

Yes, I assumed you would be doing last minute updates. I just wanted to give anybody who had Basso in their plans a bit of a forewarning. Thanks for the hard work. Looking forward to Saturday, the Giro is definitely my favourite race of the calendar.

philip unwin

2nd May 2013 - 9:59

like this
Like (1)

Nibali
Samtambrogio
Garzelli

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7033 posts]
2nd May 2013 - 10:22

like this
Like (0)

Three Italians - Gatto, Aru, Nibs.

Ghedebrav's picture

posted by Ghedebrav [802 posts]
2nd May 2013 - 11:52

like this
Like (0)

drheaton wrote:
There will be some last minute changes... No doubt one will be done today and another tomorrow...

I saw on Cycling News Ramunas Navardauskas is in... But I don't know who he replaced...

Vive Le Road.cc Fantasy Cycling Game!

posted by enrique [1104 posts]
2nd May 2013 - 20:15

like this
Like (0)

enrique wrote:
drheaton wrote:
There will be some last minute changes... No doubt one will be done today and another tomorrow...

I saw on Cycling News Ramunas Navardauskas is in... But I don't know who he replaced...

I think it's Howes

philip unwin

2nd May 2013 - 21:23

like this
Like (0)

Might've bottled my Colombian idea...

Could possibly set up a separate free account and just do that as purist for the Colombians. I just reckon I've got a decent idea of a good team.

OK, I should probably stick with the more fun option. Besides, surely Scarponi can't win anyway...?

Ghedebrav's picture

2nd May 2013 - 23:50

like this
Like (0)

Still wavering over my purist team - 46 credits for last 2 riders. Want to go for Cav plus one, but there's always the chance he'll drop out halfway through, or get taken out by Ferrari again... If I don't pick him, I could bring in 2 good guys instead, but Cav could potentially score big in week one, which most of my others won't do. DAMN GAME.

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1354 posts]
3rd May 2013 - 8:10

like this
Like (0)

Philip Unwin wrote:
enrique wrote:
drheaton wrote:

I think it's Howes

Ramunas is a genuine contender for maglia rosa after the TTT

posted by ray silvester [1520 posts]
3rd May 2013 - 12:11

like this
Like (0)

chrisdstripes wrote:
Still wavering over my purist team - 46 credits for last 2 riders. Want to go for Cav plus one, but there's always the chance he'll drop out halfway through, or get taken out by Ferrari again... If I don't pick him, I could bring in 2 good guys instead, but Cav could potentially score big in week one, which most of my others won't do. DAMN GAME.

Barring catastrophic underperformance, Cav should really be first name on the roster for everyone's purist. No other rider is a likely to bag multiple stage wins, nor get as many sprint points thus consistent scoring even in high mountians. I'd even expect OPQS to do alright in the TTT. Even at his high price, he's still a bit undervalued.

He'd only consider dropping, I think, if he (or his train Thinking ) performs disappointingly in the first few flat sprints, putting him out of contention for the overall points jersey.

So - pick Cav. Unless, that is, you're doing some silly experiment of picking only Andean mountaineers...

Ghedebrav's picture

3rd May 2013 - 13:11

like this
Like (0)

By the way, for the record my Purist team would have been:

Cav
Nibali
Gesink
Navardauskas
Scarponi
Aru
Chalapud
Mezgec
Berard (or Azanza; I like to include a Basque for good luck)

Ghedebrav's picture

3rd May 2013 - 13:18

like this
Like (0)

Yep - thats what I'm intending - just trying to talk myself out of it - I don't think he is as obvious a choice as you do though! I haven't checked the details, but I'm sure last year the top 4 or 5 GC guys all outscored the top sprinter (Cav) in terms of fantasy points...

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1354 posts]
3rd May 2013 - 13:28

like this
Like (0)

Ghedebrav wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

Barring catastrophic underperformance, Cav should really be first name on the roster for everyone's purist. No other rider is a likely to bag multiple stage wins, nor get as many sprint points thus consistent scoring even in high mountians. I'd even expect OPQS to do alright in the TTT. Even at his high price, he's still a bit undervalued.

He'd only consider dropping, I think, if he (or his train Thinking ) performs disappointingly in the first few flat sprints, putting him out of contention for the overall points jersey.

So - pick Cav. Unless, that is, you're doing some silly experiment of picking only Andean mountaineers...

Not so sure that OPQS will do so well in the TTT this time without Martin,Chavanel and Velits to tow them around?

No Cav in my purists......although my standards will have him for stage 1.

3rd May 2013 - 13:31

like this
Like (0)

ray silvester wrote:
... Ramunas is a genuine contender for maglia rosa after the TTT

Ooh! Good tip! Big Grin Thanks!...

3rd May 2013 - 14:07

like this
Like (0)

chrisdstripes wrote:
... I haven't checked the details, but I'm sure last year the top 4 or 5 GC guys all outscored the top sprinter (Cav) in terms of fantasy points...

Let me know if you find out otherwise... I had the impression the only riders that outscored Cav in the game last year were Hesjedal and Rodriguez...

3rd May 2013 - 14:13

like this
Like (0)

Picked my purist team with one space spare - looking at Henao but dont know if he will be sacrificed for Wiggins.

BUT if Wiggins is not upto it Henao will be the main man, decisions decisions Thinking Thinking

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2429 posts]
3rd May 2013 - 14:26

like this
Like (1)

I have decided to drop three italians from my all italian purist team, and brought in three italians.
Nib Nib Nibali...

J Andrew Hill

Its a marathon, not a snickers

JAndrewHill's picture

posted by JAndrewHill [1153 posts]
3rd May 2013 - 17:32

like this
Like (0)

enrique wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:
... I haven't checked the details, but I'm sure last year the top 4 or 5 GC guys all outscored the top sprinter (Cav) in terms of fantasy points...

Let me know if you find out otherwise... I had the impression the only riders that outscored Cav in the game last year were Hesjedal and Rodriguez...

Also there a lot of serious GC contenders, none of whom are really obvious favourites in the same way that Cavendish is the outstanding sprinter. Of riders to pick at the outset, I can't see anyone as likely to score you lots of points.

If Greipel and/or Sagan were here too, things might be different.

Ghedebrav's picture

3rd May 2013 - 18:43

like this
Like (1)

Ghedebrav, I understand what you are saying, but without revealing all my purist team, I would have to axe either Niemiec or Betancur for someone as cheap as Pelizotti or less (I already have 3 guys less than 6 credits)to get Cav in and that would be in place of Bouhanni. As I don't want to axe 3 of my other riders.

I don't think Cav and Pellizotti would outscore a combo of Bouhanni and Betancu/Niemiec, not sure what you think on this?

I think say Cav wins 5 sprint stages (which he won't win 5 anyway in opinion), Bouhanni will come 3rd on all those 5, he only looses out on roughly 50 points, Niemiec could top 10 if not better on at least 5 mountain type stages, and Pellizotti potentially outside the top 20. so Niemiec easily makes up the points. If its betancur he should be inside the top 5 in young rider too. Realistically I think if Cav wins 3, Bouhanni will win 1, and so Cav may only outscore by about 30/40 odd points, also Bouhanni has a better chance of hanging in on tougher stages that may be a reduced sprint if has his form of TOO.

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3504 posts]
3rd May 2013 - 20:50

like this
Like (0)

My Purist team is old skool:

1 x GC
1 x AR
1 x KM
1 x PC
5 x DS

I like structure.

DOWN WITH PENALTY TRANSFERS!!!

Downhill bikes don't make you cool.

www.beestoncc.co.uk

charliemac74's picture

posted by charliemac74 [166 posts]
3rd May 2013 - 23:03

like this
Like (1)

Stage 2 scoring not looking good though.

www.beestoncc.co.uk

charliemac74's picture

3rd May 2013 - 23:04

like this
Like (0)

Potentially

www.beestoncc.co.uk

charliemac74's picture

3rd May 2013 - 23:07

like this
Like (0)

Some (useless Wink) stats about my Purist team:
5 Italians
3 ARs, 1 PC & the rest are DS

The most useful things is probably that I normally do really badly so I wouldn't copy me if I were you Wink

posted by d_jp [92 posts]
3rd May 2013 - 23:14

like this
Like (0)

I think if OPQS bought a stronger team then yeah,Cav would be a shoo-in for purist because if he wins stage 1 then they would podium in the TTT giving Cav the Maglia Rosa for a few stages but without their big diesels(Martin,Chava,Grabsch,Kwiatkowski etc) I think they could lose at least 20 seconds to Sky,Garmin,Astana and Greenedge meaning that anything up to 36 riders will be above him in GC wiping out any chance of points in that competition.

Also it's not a given that he wins as many of the sprint stages as everyone thinks.....there will be some super-motivated Italian sprinters(Ferrari,Nizzolo,Chicchi,Gavazzi,Modolo even Gatto).

Bear in mind also that all is not well in the Manxman's train if they were trying to draft in Petacchi at the last minute.....no Terpstra or Meerkat Nerd

I've no sprinters in my purist team.....there just isn't enough stages that suit them and if I was having just one of the 'Green PC' guys it would probably be Bouhanni or Degenkolb.

There is one guy that is an absolute must for every purist team though and I'd suggest he'd be the most popular rider outside of Wiggo/Nibali.....I'll reveal after the deadline but most of the forum regulars will not be surprised(just relieved he's not yet been flagged up).

4th May 2013 - 9:58

like this
Like (0)

ray silvester wrote:
I think if OPQS bought a stronger team then yeah,Cav would be a shoo-in for purist because if he wins stage 1 then they would podium in the TTT giving Cav the Maglia Rosa for a few stages but without their big diesels(Martin,Chava,Grabsch,Kwiatkowski etc) I think they could lose at least 20 seconds to Sky,Garmin,Astana and Greenedge meaning that anything up to 36 riders will be above him in GC wiping out any chance of points in that competition.

You forget the 20 sec bonus for winning the stage, potentially Cav will be 20 seconds up on the field heading into the TTT and possibly more if he takes an intermediate sprint too.

posted by drheaton [3350 posts]
4th May 2013 - 10:16

like this
Like (0)

drheaton wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

You forget the 20 sec bonus for winning the stage, potentially Cav will be 20 seconds up on the field heading into the TTT and possibly more if he takes an intermediate sprint too.

Nope.

That's why I stated that I expected him to lose 20seconds or more.....and traditionally he's never gone for intermediate sprints.

4th May 2013 - 10:40

like this
Like (0)

enrique wrote:
Not that it's relevant, but for some reason Tiziano Dall 'Antonia has a back-slash (\) in the middle of his last name in the game - "Tiziano Dall\'Antonia" Smile

Not that it's relevant, but for some reason now Tiziano Dall 'Antonia has 3 (!) back-slashes (\) in the middle of his last name in the game - "Tiziano Dall\\\'Antonia" Smile

9th May 2013 - 18:37

like this
Like (0)

enrique wrote:
Not that it's relevant, but...

I think Cyclingnews.com has Vincenzo Nibali as ViNcenzo, but in the game he appears as Vicenzo...

16th May 2013 - 22:50

like this
Like (0)

Ghedebrav wrote:
By the way, for the record my Purist team would have been:

Cav
Nibali
Gesink
Navardauskas
Scarponi
Aru
Chalapud
Mezgec
Berard (or Azanza; I like to include a Basque for good luck)

Swap out Scarponi for Uran and this would actually have been a not-half-bad team. After the utter failure of my Belgians in the ToC I may now ditch this 'national purist' idea...

Ghedebrav's picture

16th May 2013 - 23:01

like this
Like (0)