Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro D' Italia Roster

1 Just wanted to point out Levi Leipheimer is listed for the Giro!  1

Still with Omega Pharma-Quick Step at 18.9 points!  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

76 comments

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yep - thats what I'm intending - just trying to talk myself out of it - I don't think he is as obvious a choice as you do though! I haven't checked the details, but I'm sure last year the top 4 or 5 GC guys all outscored the top sprinter (Cav) in terms of fantasy points...

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Picked my purist team with one space spare - looking at Henao but dont know if he will be sacrificed for Wiggins.

BUT if Wiggins is not upto it Henao will be the main man, decisions decisions  39  39

JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have decided to drop three italians from my all italian purist team, and brought in three italians.
Nib Nib Nibali...

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ghedebrav, I understand what you are saying, but without revealing all my purist team, I would have to axe either Niemiec or Betancur for someone as cheap as Pelizotti or less (I already have 3 guys less than 6 credits)to get Cav in and that would be in place of Bouhanni. As I don't want to axe 3 of my other riders.

I don't think Cav and Pellizotti would outscore a combo of Bouhanni and Betancu/Niemiec, not sure what you think on this?

I think say Cav wins 5 sprint stages (which he won't win 5 anyway in opinion), Bouhanni will come 3rd on all those 5, he only looses out on roughly 50 points, Niemiec could top 10 if not better on at least 5 mountain type stages, and Pellizotti potentially outside the top 20. so Niemiec easily makes up the points. If its betancur he should be inside the top 5 in young rider too. Realistically I think if Cav wins 3, Bouhanni will win 1, and so Cav may only outscore by about 30/40 odd points, also Bouhanni has a better chance of hanging in on tougher stages that may be a reduced sprint if has his form of TOO.

charliemac74 | 10 years ago
0 likes

My Purist team is old skool:

1 x GC
1 x AR
1 x KM
1 x PC
5 x DS

I like structure.

DOWN WITH PENALTY TRANSFERS!!!

0 likes

Stage 2 scoring not looking good though.

0 likes

Potentially

d_jp | 10 years ago
0 likes

Some (useless ;)) stats about my Purist team:
5 Italians
3 ARs, 1 PC & the rest are DS

The most useful things is probably that I normally do really badly so I wouldn't copy me if I were you  3

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think if OPQS bought a stronger team then yeah,Cav would be a shoo-in for purist because if he wins stage 1 then they would podium in the TTT giving Cav the Maglia Rosa for a few stages but without their big diesels(Martin,Chava,Grabsch,Kwiatkowski etc) I think they could lose at least 20 seconds to Sky,Garmin,Astana and Greenedge meaning that anything up to 36 riders will be above him in GC wiping out any chance of points in that competition.

Also it's not a given that he wins as many of the sprint stages as everyone thinks.....there will be some super-motivated Italian sprinters(Ferrari,Nizzolo,Chicchi,Gavazzi,Modolo even Gatto).

Bear in mind also that all is not well in the Manxman's train if they were trying to draft in Petacchi at the last minute.....no Terpstra or Meerkat  26

I've no sprinters in my purist team.....there just isn't enough stages that suit them and if I was having just one of the 'Green PC' guys it would probably be Bouhanni or Degenkolb.

There is one guy that is an absolute must for every purist team though and I'd suggest he'd be the most popular rider outside of Wiggo/Nibali.....I'll reveal after the deadline but most of the forum regulars will not be surprised(just relieved he's not yet been flagged up).

enrique replied to chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

... I haven't checked the details, but I'm sure last year the top 4 or 5 GC guys all outscored the top sprinter (Cav) in terms of fantasy points...

Let me know if you find out otherwise... I had the impression the only riders that outscored Cav in the game last year were Hesjedal and Rodriguez...

drheaton replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

I think if OPQS bought a stronger team then yeah,Cav would be a shoo-in for purist because if he wins stage 1 then they would podium in the TTT giving Cav the Maglia Rosa for a few stages but without their big diesels(Martin,Chava,Grabsch,Kwiatkowski etc) I think they could lose at least 20 seconds to Sky,Garmin,Astana and Greenedge meaning that anything up to 36 riders will be above him in GC wiping out any chance of points in that competition.

You forget the 20 sec bonus for winning the stage, potentially Cav will be 20 seconds up on the field heading into the TTT and possibly more if he takes an intermediate sprint too.

Ghedebrav replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

... I haven't checked the details, but I'm sure last year the top 4 or 5 GC guys all outscored the top sprinter (Cav) in terms of fantasy points...

Let me know if you find out otherwise... I had the impression the only riders that outscored Cav in the game last year were Hesjedal and Rodriguez...

Also there a lot of serious GC contenders, none of whom are really obvious favourites in the same way that Cavendish is the outstanding sprinter. Of riders to pick at the outset, I can't see anyone as likely to score you lots of points.

If Greipel and/or Sagan were here too, things might be different.

ray silvester replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

You forget the 20 sec bonus for winning the stage, potentially Cav will be 20 seconds up on the field heading into the TTT and possibly more if he takes an intermediate sprint too.

Nope.

That's why I stated that I expected him to lose 20seconds or more.....and traditionally he's never gone for intermediate sprints.

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

By the way, for the record my Purist team would have been:

Cav
Nibali
Gesink
Navardauskas
Scarponi
Aru
Chalapud
Mezgec
Berard (or Azanza; I like to include a Basque for good luck)

Ghedebrav replied to Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

By the way, for the record my Purist team would have been:

Cav
Nibali
Gesink
Navardauskas
Scarponi
Aru
Chalapud
Mezgec
Berard (or Azanza; I like to include a Basque for good luck)

Swap out Scarponi for Uran and this would actually have been a not-half-bad team. After the utter failure of my Belgians in the ToC I may now ditch this 'national purist' idea...

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Still wavering over my purist team - 46 credits for last 2 riders. Want to go for Cav plus one, but there's always the chance he'll drop out halfway through, or get taken out by Ferrari again... If I don't pick him, I could bring in 2 good guys instead, but Cav could potentially score big in week one, which most of my others won't do. DAMN GAME.

Ghedebrav replied to chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Still wavering over my purist team - 46 credits for last 2 riders. Want to go for Cav plus one, but there's always the chance he'll drop out halfway through, or get taken out by Ferrari again... If I don't pick him, I could bring in 2 good guys instead, but Cav could potentially score big in week one, which most of my others won't do. DAMN GAME.

Barring catastrophic underperformance, Cav should really be first name on the roster for everyone's purist. No other rider is a likely to bag multiple stage wins, nor get as many sprint points thus consistent scoring even in high mountians. I'd even expect OPQS to do alright in the TTT. Even at his high price, he's still a bit undervalued.

He'd only consider dropping, I think, if he (or his train  39 ) performs disappointingly in the first few flat sprints, putting him out of contention for the overall points jersey.

So - pick Cav. Unless, that is, you're doing some silly experiment of picking only Andean mountaineers...

ray silvester replied to Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

Barring catastrophic underperformance, Cav should really be first name on the roster for everyone's purist. No other rider is a likely to bag multiple stage wins, nor get as many sprint points thus consistent scoring even in high mountians. I'd even expect OPQS to do alright in the TTT. Even at his high price, he's still a bit undervalued.

He'd only consider dropping, I think, if he (or his train  39 ) performs disappointingly in the first few flat sprints, putting him out of contention for the overall points jersey.

So - pick Cav. Unless, that is, you're doing some silly experiment of picking only Andean mountaineers...

Not so sure that OPQS will do so well in the TTT this time without Martin,Chavanel and Velits to tow them around?

No Cav in my purists......although my standards will have him for stage 1.

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Might've bottled my Colombian idea...

Could possibly set up a separate free account and just do that as purist for the Colombians. I just reckon I've got a decent idea of a good team.

OK, I should probably stick with the more fun option. Besides, surely Scarponi can't win anyway...?

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Three Italians - Gatto, Aru, Nibs.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nibali
Samtambrogio
Garzelli

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

There will be some last minute changes and it's likely an update will be required at least a couple more times before Saturday.

No doubt one will be done today and another tomorrow to tidy up any last minute changes. If Dave doesn't get chance I'll have a look over lunch.

Philip Unwin replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

There will be some last minute changes and it's likely an update will be required at least a couple more times before Saturday.

No doubt one will be done today and another tomorrow to tidy up any last minute changes. If Dave doesn't get chance I'll have a look over lunch.

Yes, I assumed you would be doing last minute updates. I just wanted to give anybody who had Basso in their plans a bit of a forewarning. Thanks for the hard work. Looking forward to Saturday, the Giro is definitely my favourite race of the calendar.

enrique replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

There will be some last minute changes... No doubt one will be done today and another tomorrow...

I saw on Cycling News Ramunas Navardauskas is in... But I don't know who he replaced...

Philip Unwin replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
drheaton wrote:

There will be some last minute changes... No doubt one will be done today and another tomorrow...

I saw on Cycling News Ramunas Navardauskas is in... But I don't know who he replaced...

I think it's Howes

ray silvester replied to Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes
Philip Unwin wrote:
enrique wrote:
drheaton wrote:

I think it's Howes

Ramunas is a genuine contender for maglia rosa after the TTT

enrique replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

... Ramunas is a genuine contender for maglia rosa after the TTT

Ooh! Good tip!  4 Thanks!...

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if the game roster has been fully updated. If not could I just point out that Ivan Basso has had to pull out and has been replaced by Damiano Caruso.

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

NIBALI....PIRAZZI....GAVAZZI....

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mine will have to be Scarponi, Santambrogio and Locatelli

Pages

Latest Comments