Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help me spend money!

Right, so, I've currently got a Cannondale MTB, a 2011 Trek 1.5 and am getting a fixie / s/speed for commuting at the end of May (probably a Felt Brougham). The plan is to stop using my Trek for "everyday" and use the fixie.

The question now is do I a) Get a new £1k road bike when my BTW scheme ends in September. I like the look of the Cannondale CAAD 8 w/ 105 for £1049 or

b) spend money on upgrading the components on my Trek such as brakes, groupset and wheels (and anything else I fancy)?

I might struggle to spend £1k on upgrading components on my Trek and will do it bit by bit (unless my LBS is 'flexible' on its approach to the BTW scheme  3 )

I suppose the question is - which is likely to give me the better bike after spending £1k?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

sm | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's sacrilege to say this on a road bike forum, but having recently got a fixed as my commute bike, I can't recommend it enough. Sure, it was like learning to ride again when I first jumped on but riding fixed is just so much fun.

Forget about the hipster crap. Riding fixed is just a different experience, hard to describe until you've tried it. I still love my road bike, but for short, sharp commutes, fixed every time. Light, low maintenance and, I'll say it again, fun.

djgorey replied to sm | 10 years ago
0 likes
sm wrote:

I still love my road bike, but for short, sharp commutes, fixed every time. Light, low maintenance and, I'll say it again, fun.

I love nothing more than sitting on my road-bike for 100km, but I just think that for the quick rides in to work, the ease of fixed and being able to ride in normal clothes will be more fun. Loads of other benefits - easier to clean being the primary one! My road bike gets caked in road-grime from commuting. I'm a little apprehensive about riding fixed (the bike I'm eyeing up has a flip-flop rear hub so I'll start with the freewheel), but then again, I was apprehensive about doing 35mph descents and I learnt how to do those!

sm replied to djgorey | 10 years ago
0 likes
djgorey wrote:

I'm a little apprehensive about riding fixed.

Don't be. I was too, both about riding fixed and being clipped in for the first time when commuting. Just make sure you get the gearing right, use a front brake and take it easy. Oh and remember not to freewheel! Seriously, it's a huge amount of fun. Plus, as you say cleaning is no longer necessary.

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

stick some flat pedals on the trek and convert it into a singlespeed?

pirnie | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar decision and went down the route SammyG suggested, converting my Trek 1.5 to a winter bike. However, based on what you've just said spending about a grand on upgrades for the Trek would make it into a lovely bike! If you're still on the stock wheelset that'd be a good place to start. Putting some Mavic Ksyrium Elites on mine made a world of difference to the performance of the bike!

djgorey replied to pirnie | 10 years ago
0 likes
pirnie wrote:

If you're still on the stock wheelset that'd be a good place to start. Putting some Mavic Ksyrium Elites on mine made a world of difference to the performance of the bike!

I'm still on stock everything apart from the pedals. I like the idea of upgrading the Trek. It is the first bike I got when I came back to cycling, I ride it every day and did my first metric century on it and had my first off on it. I know the frame is pretty bog standard and probably made in the same factory as everybody elses, but I like the bike and it is still lighter than my mate's Tifosi track fixie.

A good set of wheels, Ultegra groupset and some decent brakes (ones that stop in the rain when I want them to, rather than when they feel like it) would make the bike, I think, a lot better.

I think I've convinced myself!

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why use the fixie for the summer? Add that cash onto the £1000 and get a decent summer bike and use the trek for winter?

djgorey replied to spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

That was my initial plan - I was looking at a £2k Ghost or Lapierre, maybe a De Rosa, but I really fancy a bike I can just sling my leg over and ride without having to change my shoes and/or shorts. I'm moving offices early next year somewhere a lot closer to home where the ride will take less time than it currently takes me to get my winter gear on!

Latest Comments