Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help please with the headset water promblem :''(

Hi there,
Could I have some advice please I currently own Eddy Merkx EMX-1 9 Months old and is facing the fact of a hefty repair bill for a new Headset , This is due to water damage , I cannot currently thing of how I have attained water in the headset, Has anyone had a similar problem with any other road bike or type of bike ?
And have you claim on the warranty or paid for the damages outright?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Eyebrox | 11 years ago
0 likes

This bike has an internal headset - and so neoprene strips top and bottom aren't needed. The workings should be sealed in. If water is penetrating the steerer tube it means either the headset unit is loose or the seals are damaged. Use the front brake and push the bike to and fro. If there is the slightest movement below the stem, you need to loosen the side-on retaining bolts, tighten the stem bolt then gingerly re-tighten the side-on bolts. The Park Tools site or Sheldon Brown will explain.

bike_food | 11 years ago
0 likes

You can buy a headset protector e.g. from lizard skins, it's a simple bit of neoprene that wraps around the bottom of the head tube and keeps all the crud out, costs a couple of quid and works wonders if using bike in rain with no guards.

spqr256 | 11 years ago
0 likes

First thought is how do you wash the bike? If you use a jet wash or a hose or anything like that then very easy to get water in the headset

Ashleyhoaken replied to spqr256 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi spqr256
Thankyou but i cannot think o why i would use a jethose

spqr256 replied to Ashleyhoaken | 11 years ago
0 likes

Haha me either, but I work in a bike shop, and the number of people who come in with this complaint, or water in their bottom bracket, and its because they wash it like that is insane

Latest Comments