Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Richmond Park Strava segments

Does anyone know how many segments are actually logged for Richmond Park?
I was staggered to see on one ride I did recently that it listed 146 segments

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough, I suppose people put efforts in where they aren't being watched.

andycoventry | 11 years ago
0 likes

My irritation has to be the cars who stop in the middle of the road to look at and take photos of the deer oblivious to everyone around them - saw one on Saturday stop on the bend on Dark Hill.

As Andybris says don't knock it till you have tried it - Its green, smooth by london's standards, relatively quiet and not an HGV in sight.

Andybris | 11 years ago
0 likes

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it;)
For those living in London, I'm sure it's an oasis.
I think the park is beautiful, and never tire of training there.

700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

Why on earth would you want to cycle in an area apparently so overcrowded with slow cyclists and with an enforced 20mph limit?!  13

Glad I don't live in London if this is what passes for a decent cycling route..

sm replied to 700c | 11 years ago
0 likes

First thing in the morning is fine. No hold ups and a super smooth ride. Nice to be able put you head down and challenge yourself for three laps. Beautiful scenary too plus the added danger of a deer run!

notfastenough replied to 700c | 11 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

Why on earth would you want to cycle in an area apparently so overcrowded with slow cyclists and with an enforced 20mph limit?!  13

Glad I don't live in London if this is what passes for a decent cycling route..

+99, I'd rather sit on the turbo and that's saying something!

mrkeith119 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Quite nice to ride round in the evenings after they close the gates to cars.

Andybris | 11 years ago
0 likes

I live in Sussex, so have an abundance of minor roads on my doorstep. However, I work in London, and RP is 12 mins. ride, and 4 segments away. It is a great place to ride and train in.
You do get all abilities and characters riding in the park. It has a 20mph speed limit which the police enforce fairly vigorously ( motorists and Cyclists alike)
They also have the power to impose on the spot fines for those cyclists who are not wearing Rapha kit!

mattyb95 | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's a 6.75mile lap so need to ride a few laps to make it worthwhile as the few hills there aren't massive. It's best avoided during rush hour or during the middle of the day at weekends as you just get too many cars and/or slower moving cyclists that you can't really build up any momentum as you have to keep stopping or slowing up.

I live about a 5 minute cycle from there so it's handy to tack on some extra miles at the end of my commute and the Saturday morning park ride with my club is good fun as is the organised training we do but when I have the time, would ride out to the Surrey Hills or Windsor, somewhere further afield and a bit more varied.

Oh, but you aren't far off about the wannabe cyclists, lot of expensive bikes being ridden by people with more money than sense. Still always quite satisfying to overtake them uphill sitting down on a singlespeed whilst they are hacking a lung up trying to drag their featherweight bikes and often very overweight arses up a relatively small incline. Best ones are those who bust a gut to beat you up a hill but then go backwards after the summit as you merrily pass them at your more measured pace.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not familiar with the place, but is RP worth riding round? I've got this (possibly completely wrong) image in my head of wannabes with high-end kit tootling round a park at 13mph.

Andybris | 11 years ago
0 likes

To be honest, I only use it to monitor my progress, or lack of it! I achieved a pb last week trying to catch a horse that had unseated its rider, and was last seen heading into Richmond

mattyb95 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Stupid thing is, when you create a segment online, it does suggest similar ones and asks do you want to continue so some people clearly are either just idiots or its to give them repeated high placings or KOM's, who knows.

You can hide all unecessary ones manually too which is what I tend to do otherwise any multi-lap ride becomes unintelligible to review afterwards or compare to previous rides!

Philiprints | 11 years ago
0 likes

It is absolutely crazy- if there's one place that could do with a cull (not deer) then RP is the place. Mr Strava should tidy it up a bit. Do think people creating segments on iPhones is much of the problem.

mattyb95 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Shed loads, don't know exactly the number but so many people have all added their own ones so every hill has multiple entries up and down, each with slightly different start and end points. Then you have different lap segments starting from each of the different gates and then if you add the ballet school loop in, the permutations are endless.

Just focus on the popular ones or any that you seem to do well on!!

Latest Comments