Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why don't you see Pro's eating bananas?

Just wondering! Too difficult to peel? Slippy skins a danger to the peloton?

And what real food do you like to eat on the bike? Soreen for me. Difficult to chew in winter and I must like quite the plonker biting huge chunks off the full loaf as I cycle, but it's tasty and does the job nicely. Especially when it sticks to the teeth!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

51 comments

Ali Gibb | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jam sarnies, cheddar sarnies, bananas and grab bag mix of raisins, nuts, peanut M&Ms and jelly babies. With a mars bar for emergencies and pain au chocolat/coffee stops too.

chrisl | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure I remember a photo of Andre Greipel with a banana in his back pocket last year, so maybe we just don't see the pro's eating them. They're not sponsored, so wouldn't demand screen time  3

peterben | 9 years ago
0 likes

bashthebox: it's not that rice is a haven for bacteria. The problem only really arises if the rice is cooled too slowly, it should be spread out on a baking tray and then (once it has cooled for 5 mins or so) put into the fridge.

Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am rigorously writing down these suggestions. I usually take jelly babies and flapjack if I can get a hold of it, as I can never be bothered to make it, does anyone have any shortcut recipe tips?

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

Prob more to do with the insulinergic response than the decomposition of the peel...

lolol | 9 years ago
0 likes

Few things taste better than wine gums when you're knackered, you can write PRO on the packet in felt tip, which turns them into a high energy sports product.
I was wondering about banana skins too, I tend to not chuck them in the hedge if there are cars/ people around, because they wouldnt see the skin, just some bloody cyclist littering.
Corn cobs never ever break down, not that I have ever taken corn on the cob out on a ride, just saying.

NigelSign | 9 years ago
0 likes

Soreen malt loaf for me, keep it in a whole loaf in your back pocket and just bite a bit off when you are ready. Also if space is tight,, squash it down flat

Quince | 9 years ago
0 likes

In response to the original questions, bananas seem to get a peculiar amount of screentime in this Shimano video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyzpTct0Nwk

paulrbarnard | 9 years ago
0 likes

I make flap jacks that are great when cycling and so much better tasking than the bulk of commercial bars, but the big question is what do you wrap them in???? Cling film is not a one hand open possibility while riding, two handed is a challenge if they have been pressed firmly in the pocket. Greased paper comes undone of it's own accord and just putting them straight in your jersey pocket results in a variety of messy possibilities. For this reason my home made endeavours are restricted too the turbo.

IngloriousLou replied to paulrbarnard | 9 years ago
0 likes
paulrbarnard wrote:

I make flap jacks that are great when cycling and so much better tasking than the bulk of commercial bars, but the big question is what do you wrap them in????

Avent baby pots? They're solid and slip into a jersey pocket, you can put them thru the dishwasher and with a lid they're watertight. Google 'em up and see. I have a cupboard full we no longer use and can send you a free one!

glynr36 replied to paulrbarnard | 9 years ago
0 likes
paulrbarnard wrote:

I make flap jacks that are great when cycling and so much better tasking than the bulk of commercial bars, but the big question is what do you wrap them in???? Cling film is not a one hand open possibility while riding, two handed is a challenge if they have been pressed firmly in the pocket. Greased paper comes undone of it's own accord and just putting them straight in your jersey pocket results in a variety of messy possibilities. For this reason my home made endeavours are restricted too the turbo.

You want the paper backed foil,it's perfect for home wrapping stuff.

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love taking yellow bendy potassium-rich fruits out to eat on my rides, but it just doesn't seem worth the risk these days. Each one is a potential banana-skin.

Quince | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been making a... thing composed of apple juice-soaked dates, walnuts and sultanas, whizzed up with cocoa power; they're based on Nakd bars, but less exorbitantly expensive and cringily 'life-styley'. They taste a bit like chocolate truffles, but I'm having a hard time encouraging them to be solid. I've cooked the mixture with oats before, but doing late always obliterates their taste and sweetness to an extent I can't make sense of.

I'm interested in trying out Onigiri (Japanese rice balls) for something more savoury (Japanese food tends to be good at savoury), but they're too much of an exotic product to be economically viable, so I'd like to learn how to make them. They're just (strangely delicious) rice with a bit of punchier stuff in the middle, so it can't be that hard. I ate little else when I was in Japan, and they're an excellent source of quick energy. Like a rice sandwich.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Chocolate coated hard nougat, has milk, almonds, chocolate and sugar. Get a big long bar and chop it into manageable chunks. Absolutely delicious!

But mostly I don't eat much, just zero cal electrolyte drinks and carry a couple of bars that I don't mostly eat, a gel in case a big hill suddenly appears at the end that I often need, and a protein recovery something to eat on the train home.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

How long to rice cakes last for then? I'm always a bit wary of old rice; it's a haven for bacteria.

S13SFC | 9 years ago
0 likes

Mince pies. Stock up on the top end ones just after xmas and whack them in the feezer.

My Mrs goes an awesome "bike cake" as well which combined with a couple of bananas always keeps me going.

Gels are there for the last hard miles if required.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Feedzone portables is my god send.
Gels/bars/drink mixes give me the gut rot in the hour (all since I did LEJOG in 2012 and did 9 straight days using them when needed, not living on them).
The rice cakes are the best, tried the original egg & bacon ones, then found out about the books, bought them and the stuff in there is awesome.
If you already have a well equipped kitchen you probably have most of the stuff needed, I had to buy some cup measures and a few more baking trays.

Converted many mates to 'real food' on the bike now with them trying what ever I made for that weeks ride, and it's super cheap.
10 rice cakes (which are the similar nutritional numbers to most bars) cost me around £3 to make, 10 bars? £15ish?

spin sugar | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have always struggled with energy gels and other concentrated products. They just don't sit well with me so I have spent quite a lot of time looking at this and have been trying various "proper" (for want of a better word) food items. The guys who did the original Feed Zone book now have one out called Feed Zone Portables which is very good and you'll recognise a lot of stuff in there that the pros use. It is US based and so all the measurements are in cups etc but once you have the tools it's all relatively straightforward. It has multiple rice cake recipes, pie recipes and baked egg recipes. I would definitely recommend it. Takes a bit of time stocking up but otherwise not too bad in terms of prep. I also love Kate Percy's Go Faster Food - that mostly deals with meal time but there are recipes towards the back that can be adapted to portables. For a quick sweet fix I can also recommend Fruit Peelers (think most supermarkets have them now) - individually wrapped and in sticks, easy to slip into a jersey pocket and still not quite as sickly as gels.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes! I've just got onto jelly babies too. Lidl ones are dirt cheap. I was munching the sour jelly worms from the natural confectionary company before that, but my local sainos stopped stocking them. Bugger.

Other things - zipvit bars, kinetica cola gels. Sometimes a wrap on long rides. Occasionally I pull my finger out and make some flapjacks.

IngloriousLou replied to bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Yes! I've just got onto jelly babies too. Lidl ones are dirt cheap. I was munching the sour jelly worms from the natural confectionary company .

Lidl do Sour Worms - they're my absolute favourite cycling snack when I'm feeling low, mentally or physically.

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

JELLY BABIES!!!!!!!!!

IngloriousLou replied to mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

SOUR WORMS!!!!!111!!!ELEVEN!  1

See how happy they are, who couldn't like that.

For ease of eating I use an old Avent baby food pot (without a lid) stuffed into a jersey pocket, I don't have the co-ordination to go fishing about back there and not fall off the road.

PJ McNally replied to IngloriousLou | 9 years ago
0 likes
IngloriousLou wrote:

For ease of eating I use an old Avent baby food pot (without a lid) stuffed into a jersey pocket

Genius! I will try this on my next ride! And there was me thinking they were only useful for storing half eaten tins of beans, scooping 2 portions of rice, making salad dressing, etc etc.

gthornton101 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Definitely the soreen malt loaf for me, pre-sliced of course.

For longer rides I also like the bitesize flapjack pieces a certain orange Supermarket does, put in a sandwich bag and in jersey pocket!

WashoutWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the OP may have been making humorous reference to rule 16 regards the yellow jersey bananas also have yellow jerseys?

joemmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

if you're after a savoury boost then try new potatoes. Skinned, boiled and dried then add some salt and a little olive oil - a little bit of grated cheese can be nice as well - wrap them in foil and they make a good snack. Easy to digest and can counteract all that sickly sugary stuff.

pdows47 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've not heard anything about banana skins not breaking down, I'd have thought that any fruit waste (apple cores, orange peels etc.) would all break down just as well. When I go out I take some home made flapjacks (banana and chocolate with sunflower seeds) and for really long ones, some fruit, normally banana, or a satsuma for something different, but they do need you to stop to eat them. I always have a gel as well, just in case I make a right dogs dinner of eating (excuse the pun) and end up bonking.

andylul | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've been buying sun-dried bananas from H&B - same banana-y taste, zero packaging.

Someone also told me that they were told on the DIVA Ride that in the UK, banana skins don't break down at the road side (which was ironic, because she was broken down at the road side)

Can anyone prove or dispel this potential myth?

Chuck replied to andylul | 9 years ago
0 likes
andylul wrote:

Someone also told me that they were told on the DIVA Ride that in the UK, banana skins don't break down at the road side (which was ironic, because she was broken down at the road side)

Can anyone prove or dispel this potential myth?

I think this is one of those sort of half true things. Throwing that stuff away somewhere like the top of a Scottish mountain is a bad idea because they can stay there a very long time (and I think orange peel is supposed to be the worst offender here).

But a hedge by the side of the road in the UK is a very different environment and I reckon it'll disappear pretty quickly there. On top of that, they start to go soon enough when they're just sat in a fruit bowl so I find it hard to believe they won't decompose when they're out in the elements!

Tour Le Tour | 10 years ago
0 likes

Now I'm hungry...

Pages

Latest Comments