Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Staying visible!

Okay, so my girlfriend is worried about me being hit by a car and wants me to get some sort of high vis top whilst cycling. She suggested a high vis sash  26 , I refused B-). I use a front/rear light combo everytime I'm out. I was thinking of getting a fluro top (do these only really work in dull light or will they be good in summer too?) but wondering if I'd be better off with a bright coloured top (red or something) Suggestions/advice welcome and any ideas for tops to get.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Brett, are you just designing stuff from the waist up?

I'd be very interested in some Brett Clouser Over Trousers.

notfastenough replied to cojones | 10 years ago
0 likes
cojones wrote:

I am doing the London - Paris this year and one compulsory piece of kit is as follows...

Hi-viz vest compulsory!
With BS EN471 class 2 standard label to wear in bad weather conditions

Now I have two questions...where the heck do I buy one and why would the French be interested in a BS item?!!

It's a BS item alright, but maybe not quite in the way you were thinking! I'd have a major issue with mandatory hi-vis. Perhaps they have arranged for you only to share the road with yellow cars.

giff77 replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:
cojones wrote:

I am doing the London - Paris this year and one compulsory piece of kit is as follows...

Hi-viz vest compulsory!
With BS EN471 class 2 standard label to wear in bad weather conditions

Now I have two questions...where the heck do I buy one and why would the French be interested in a BS item?!!

It's a BS item alright, but maybe not quite in the way you were thinking! I'd have a major issue with mandatory hi-vis. Perhaps they have arranged for you only to share the road with yellow cars.

Whether we like it or not it is part of the Highway Code in France. Here is an excerpt including the HiViz thing. I'm having to get the hold of a vest myself. Don't really wish to get in an argument with a gendarme.

Highway code for cyclists in France.

NB. The lines below are given solely for information, and are valid at the time of writing. They do not constitute an exhaustive list of all laws and rules governing riding a bicycle in France, and may in time be changed..
To be roadworthy, bicycles must be equipped with a bell, fully functioning brakes, and after dark with reflectors and front and rear lights.
The wearing of cyclists' crash helmets is not compulsory in France, but is strongly advised. Cyclists must also wear a high-visibility waistcoat if cycling after dark outside urban areas.
In urban streets, cyclists must use the marked cycle lanes where these exist.
Cyclists must obey traffic signs and signals in the same way as other road users; this includes respecting "no entry", "one way" and "stop" signs.
Like cars, cyclists riding behind each other on a roadway are obliged to keep a safe distance between them. Cyclists may ride two-abreast, but only during hours of daylight. At night, single file cycling is obligatory.
Drinking and cycling: cyclists are subject to the same alcohol limits as other road users. Cycling while under the influence of alcohol can lead to a hefty fine, the impounding of the cycle, and/or the withdrawal of the cyclist's vehicle licence if he/she has one.

brettclouser replied to Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

@Cycle_Jim,

The pattern has evolved and the final resting place for that design ended up looking similar to golf tees. This absolutely works for jerseys as well and is something that I will look into doing once I get things up and running. Thanks for your feedback Jim!

Brett

brettclouser replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

@farrell,

The jacket that you see there is the very first piece I've done. My ultimate goal would be to create clothing for a cyclist for both sport and commuting uses. Could you please expand upon what you're visualizing? Are you saying you'd like to see a similar reflective application on pants or some type of pant shell that you could throw on over your existing shorts/trousers that has a similar effect?

Brett

Pages

Latest Comments