Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Staying visible!

Okay, so my girlfriend is worried about me being hit by a car and wants me to get some sort of high vis top whilst cycling. She suggested a high vis sash  26 , I refused B-). I use a front/rear light combo everytime I'm out. I was thinking of getting a fluro top (do these only really work in dull light or will they be good in summer too?) but wondering if I'd be better off with a bright coloured top (red or something) Suggestions/advice welcome and any ideas for tops to get.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

A V Lowe | 11 years ago
0 likes

Best get a Mr Bibbendum outfit then!

Cycle_Jim | 11 years ago
0 likes

I use front and rear lights which I feel do a good job of keeping me visible, I'll possibly buy a fluro to put her at ease - though I don't think its going to make much difference... I've only had one close call and I had lights on then so my feelings are if someone doesn't see me...they don't see me...not much to be done.
I can see why fluro would help in dull conditions, but I'd imagine it would be worse in bright/summer light looking washed out in the sun.

FMOAB | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nice strong flashing rear light if you/she are anxious. I do think that muted colours can disappear on the road, but I don't think they need to be hi vis. Even in bright sunlight, areas shaded by trees can be problematic with drivers legitimately doing 60mph, if they don't see you...

But the very thought of wearing a hi vis sash - I'm with you, no way!

northstar | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wouldn't bother with high viz, makes sod all difference to driver's attitude, your gf is worrying when she need not.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

This is just my opinion of course but the most common coloured cars are red, white and blue (plus shades of).

Avoid something that will match those as drivers will lose you in amongst parked cars etc.

I go out lit up like a christmas tree both from the front and rear. I wear a top that has reflective stripes on it as well.

No fluro colours just bright lights.

Pages

Latest Comments