Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vuelta al Pais Vasco - Stage 5

So, is today a breakaway stage or will the GC guys bring it back together for a big finish?

My money is on a select group reaching the finish together (mainly GC people) similar to the crazy stage during Tirreno-Adriatico.

My 1,2,3 for today is Sanchez, Quintana, Henao.  Sanchez has something to prove and Euskatel need a win, Quintana and Henao are both in great form and I can't see any group with Porte in making it to the finish at the front, why would you tow along Porte when he's just going to smash you to bits in the TT?

At this points in time Txurruka has pretty much sewn up the mountains and sprint jerseys so will he bother racing today?

No changes for me so I'll announce my team:

Contador, Porte, Quintana, Sanchez, Peraud, Ulissi, Txurruka, Cardoso, Betancurt

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

83 comments

Stumps replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Txurruka will get 10 points tomorrow assuming he a) starts and b) finishes in the time limit. That's 5 each for leading the sprint and KoM standings plus obviously any he gets on the actual stage itself.

Same logic applies to the likes of Didier etc and anyone else in KoM/sprint top 5 as there are no sprint/KoM points awarded tomorrow so no change in the standings.

Cheers bud.

Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes

Keeping Txurruka and Didier (best transfer I made). 18 points in the bag!

Martin, who knows? Was 3rd last year. Sanchez won ITT and race! But I doubt he'll do that this time. Velits and Castroviejo the best transfers I think! And this from a man who took out Sanchez last night!

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

Only 73 finishers! That'll shorten tomorrows stage. Wonder if they'll start late or finish early  39

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

pcs says :-
DNF SCHLECK Andy RadioShack - Leopard

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Start late probably, they'll have a TV slot to aim for and will want the GC fight to be live so will just start later.

Also, did Schleck finish?

EDIT: no, he didn't  19

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just realised that not only will I get the podium badge but also it'll be my 50th badge  1 I know that's not particularly spectacular but it pleases me.

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

Can't believe that with so many DNF that I still have 8 left in my purist team

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Finally, a stage in this stinking race that I've got right. By my calculations, I might be looking at three awards for this one. Nonetheless, crappy showings in the early stages mean that I've had a bad Pais Vasco. Only good old Richie Porte reliably getting me points throughout.

He doesn't half look good, that Porte lad, does he? Team Sky will be quite the soap opera come the Tour...

obutterwick replied to simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:

Dreadful, dreadful start to the season. Still, there's only one way he can go from here.

Stumps replied to obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes
obutterwick wrote:
simon F wrote:

Dreadful, dreadful start to the season. Still, there's only one way he can go from here.

Retire  39  39  39

Philip Unwin replied to obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes
obutterwick wrote:
simon F wrote:

Probably a Luxembourg retirement home

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Apparently the organisers stopped a lot of the groups at the back which included Andy Schleck, not sure why.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps they exceeded the time limits ????

keith roberts | 10 years ago
0 likes

anyhow thanks for the advice chaps, ta!  4

keith roberts replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

thanks stumps, thought that was the case, but prudent to check/ask so many wise people out there!

obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Retirement is the best option, I fear. Better retiring before the UCI or WADA catch up with you.  3

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Scores updating, today was a nightmare, 50-odd non-finishers and 10 climbs so apologies for the delay.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Woohoo - 266 whopping points and 2nd on the stage  4

Thats my best result of the season.

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Can feel a gamble coming on tomorrow for the guy who at the moment for me,is the guy who impresses me the most in the world of cycling.....  3

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ive already made my transfers for tomorrow

Axed Henao, Quintana and Fuglsang for Sanchez, Martin and Castroviejo

JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes

Good day for me today, but it could have been so much better. I swapped Gorka for Peraud who was pointless...planning for thr ITT. If only I had gone for Sanchez...

ray silvester replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

Can feel a gamble coming on tomorrow for the guy who at the moment for me,is the guy who impresses me the most in the world of cycling.....  3

@TheJensie?

ray silvester replied to Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes

30 pt lead for you now Alan  39

Pages

Latest Comments