Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vuelta al Pais Vasco - Stage 5

So, is today a breakaway stage or will the GC guys bring it back together for a big finish?

My money is on a select group reaching the finish together (mainly GC people) similar to the crazy stage during Tirreno-Adriatico.

My 1,2,3 for today is Sanchez, Quintana, Henao.  Sanchez has something to prove and Euskatel need a win, Quintana and Henao are both in great form and I can't see any group with Porte in making it to the finish at the front, why would you tow along Porte when he's just going to smash you to bits in the TT?

At this points in time Txurruka has pretty much sewn up the mountains and sprint jerseys so will he bother racing today?

No changes for me so I'll announce my team:

Contador, Porte, Quintana, Sanchez, Peraud, Ulissi, Txurruka, Cardoso, Betancurt

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

83 comments

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mangel & Tankink also gone. Down to 139 I think

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

10 points for a cat 1
6 points for a cat 2
3 points for a cat 3

Today there are 5 cat 3s (15 points) plus 4 cat 2s (24 points) and assuming they included it a cat 1 (10 points) making the max available 49 points.

Txurruka had a lead of 38 points on Didier at the start of the day, I assume he took the first just in case and then when he saw two people going up the road to take the remaining points just sat back as his job was done.

Sprint wise Txurruka was already in an insurmountable position before the stage.

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

Txurruka led by 48 going into the stage and took the first cat3 so that one's over.....Big Fat LR for Txurruka tomorrow as he rides around the TT course waving to everyone?

0 likes

Nerz, Kohler, Vanendert, Novikov abandon, but Schleck still rolling.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

J Izaguirre, Didier, Costa, Herrada, Moreno, Fuglsang, Silin, Cherel, Talansky & Navarro. Gap is 1'10"

I was spot on with Fuglsang, shame I didn't pick him, and also expected Movistar to throw a couple of people up the road.

Despite the strength in the break I still can't see it staying out right until the end.

0 likes

Maybe Saxo can do some work today

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

#PaisVasco 72.5km to go and gap is 57"

Quote:

#PaisVasco Txurruka and a teammate on the attack.

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fraile is out on his own at about 1:28. The rest are all back together

obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Go on Fraile my son!!

Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had Fraile earlier and dropped Talansky but can't see the latter scoring many points. I'm pretty sure it'll all come together when Movistar and Saxo come to the front. Only a minute gap.

Just remembered Fraile is in my purist! Go lad!! Also got G Izagirre, Talansky Sanchez, Porte and Contador in my purists so hopefully whatever happens one of my teams will do well!

Alan Tullett replied to obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes
obutterwick wrote:

Go on Fraile my son!!

Get in there lad! You can do it! Caja Rural rock! Euskadi stink!

0 likes

Fraile caught. Sanchez attacks!

0 likes

Damn! Shouldn't have got rid of Sanchez but Spilak and Contador up there so not a big deall! Omar finishes in top 20! Well done!

obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes

1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 11, 14. Happy for a change.

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Another full house for me looking at Eurosports pictures  16

2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10 on gc

JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes

Go Porte, go sky go

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

Porte wins!!!
2 Sanchez
3 Henao
4 Quintana
5 Weening
6 Gadret
7 Contador
8 Spilak
9 Ulissi
10 Caruso
11 Betancur
12 Poels
13 Danielson
14 Fraile
15 Monfort
16 Busche
17 Rui Costa
18 Cunego
19 Velits
20 Kreuziger

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

All of which means ... I've finally got a podium badge  4

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Any idea what happened to Peraud?

STEVESPRO 79 replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

Cannot see any group making it to the finish without Porte...

Similar result as yesterday for me....Sanchez should feature well with the GC top 6....Loads of 200 points fantasy teams again....

THINK I CALLED THAT ONE PRETTY WELL....  16  1  3

0 likes

Another full house and 180 I expect!
13478911 plus Txurruka and Didier! Not too bad!

At least chrisdstripes didn't have Sanchez and got rid of Ulissi, so we both didn't transfer so great. Raysilvester had Sanchez but no Henao so about equal there except my general team is stronger so I could be second in Forum Scorum tonight! It's a pity there aren't any big tours next week as I'm free in the afternoon. I might have to actually do some cycling!!  3

NeilG83 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Didn't think I could get close to yesterday's 255pts, but might have got close.

1,2,3,4,5,7,8,11 + Txurruka  4

After a poor start this competition is turning out quite well for me. Have 4 transfers saved for the TT too.

Does anyone have a full list of riders that have abandoned?

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Got fraile in my team  4

Ended up with 1,2,3,4,7,8,11,14 + Txurruka. Finally got my full house badge  4

keith roberts | 10 years ago
0 likes

would it be worth leaving txurrka in for the tt tomorrow?
will he still get points for leading the KOM even though its a shortish TT any ideas?  39  4  4

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

I imagine he will still get points, but the good DrH will advise i'm sure.

I'm leaving him in for my team as its a guaranteed 10 points for the KOM and the tt is quite lumpy so he may do quite well.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

More importantly do i leave in Henao / Quintana or get rid of one for Martin ?

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's assuming he finished today?  39

livestrongnick replied to livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

and he did nearly 16mins down...

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

69th at 15mins down. Think that answers my own question.

If it was flat yes but judging by the profile i dont think he has the legs at the moment to pull off a fast time.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Txurruka will get 10 points tomorrow assuming he a) starts and b) finishes in the time limit. That's 5 each for leading the sprint and KoM standings plus obviously any he gets on the actual stage itself.

Same logic applies to the likes of Didier etc and anyone else in KoM/sprint top 5 as there are no sprint/KoM points awarded tomorrow so no change in the standings.

Pages

Latest Comments