Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vuelta al Pais Vasco - Stage 5

So, is today a breakaway stage or will the GC guys bring it back together for a big finish?

My money is on a select group reaching the finish together (mainly GC people) similar to the crazy stage during Tirreno-Adriatico.

My 1,2,3 for today is Sanchez, Quintana, Henao.  Sanchez has something to prove and Euskatel need a win, Quintana and Henao are both in great form and I can't see any group with Porte in making it to the finish at the front, why would you tow along Porte when he's just going to smash you to bits in the TT?

At this points in time Txurruka has pretty much sewn up the mountains and sprint jerseys so will he bother racing today?

No changes for me so I'll announce my team:

Contador, Porte, Quintana, Sanchez, Peraud, Ulissi, Txurruka, Cardoso, Betancurt

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

83 comments

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fraile is out on his own at about 1:28. The rest are all back together

obutterwick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Go on Fraile my son!!

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fraile caught. Sanchez attacks!

0 likes

Damn! Shouldn't have got rid of Sanchez but Spilak and Contador up there so not a big deall! Omar finishes in top 20! Well done!

0 likes

1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 11, 14. Happy for a change.

chiv30 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Another full house for me looking at Eurosports pictures  16

2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10 on gc

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

Go Porte, go sky go

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Porte wins!!!
2 Sanchez
3 Henao
4 Quintana
5 Weening
6 Gadret
7 Contador
8 Spilak
9 Ulissi
10 Caruso
11 Betancur
12 Poels
13 Danielson
14 Fraile
15 Monfort
16 Busche
17 Rui Costa
18 Cunego
19 Velits
20 Kreuziger

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

All of which means ... I've finally got a podium badge  4

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Any idea what happened to Peraud?

0 likes

Another full house and 180 I expect!
13478911 plus Txurruka and Didier! Not too bad!

At least chrisdstripes didn't have Sanchez and got rid of Ulissi, so we both didn't transfer so great. Raysilvester had Sanchez but no Henao so about equal there except my general team is stronger so I could be second in Forum Scorum tonight! It's a pity there aren't any big tours next week as I'm free in the afternoon. I might have to actually do some cycling!!  3

NeilG83 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Didn't think I could get close to yesterday's 255pts, but might have got close.

1,2,3,4,5,7,8,11 + Txurruka  4

After a poor start this competition is turning out quite well for me. Have 4 transfers saved for the TT too.

Does anyone have a full list of riders that have abandoned?

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got fraile in my team  4

Ended up with 1,2,3,4,7,8,11,14 + Txurruka. Finally got my full house badge  4

keith roberts | 11 years ago
0 likes

would it be worth leaving txurrka in for the tt tomorrow?
will he still get points for leading the KOM even though its a shortish TT any ideas?  39  4  4

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

I imagine he will still get points, but the good DrH will advise i'm sure.

I'm leaving him in for my team as its a guaranteed 10 points for the KOM and the tt is quite lumpy so he may do quite well.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

More importantly do i leave in Henao / Quintana or get rid of one for Martin ?

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

That's assuming he finished today?  39

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

69th at 15mins down. Think that answers my own question.

If it was flat yes but judging by the profile i dont think he has the legs at the moment to pull off a fast time.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Txurruka will get 10 points tomorrow assuming he a) starts and b) finishes in the time limit. That's 5 each for leading the sprint and KoM standings plus obviously any he gets on the actual stage itself.

Same logic applies to the likes of Didier etc and anyone else in KoM/sprint top 5 as there are no sprint/KoM points awarded tomorrow so no change in the standings.

0 likes

Keeping Txurruka and Didier (best transfer I made). 18 points in the bag!

Martin, who knows? Was 3rd last year. Sanchez won ITT and race! But I doubt he'll do that this time. Velits and Castroviejo the best transfers I think! And this from a man who took out Sanchez last night!

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Only 73 finishers! That'll shorten tomorrows stage. Wonder if they'll start late or finish early  39

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

pcs says :-
DNF SCHLECK Andy RadioShack - Leopard

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Start late probably, they'll have a TV slot to aim for and will want the GC fight to be live so will just start later.

Also, did Schleck finish?

EDIT: no, he didn't  19

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just realised that not only will I get the podium badge but also it'll be my 50th badge  1 I know that's not particularly spectacular but it pleases me.

Philip Unwin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can't believe that with so many DNF that I still have 8 left in my purist team

Ghedebrav | 11 years ago
0 likes

Finally, a stage in this stinking race that I've got right. By my calculations, I might be looking at three awards for this one. Nonetheless, crappy showings in the early stages mean that I've had a bad Pais Vasco. Only good old Richie Porte reliably getting me points throughout.

He doesn't half look good, that Porte lad, does he? Team Sky will be quite the soap opera come the Tour...

northstar | 11 years ago
0 likes

Apparently the organisers stopped a lot of the groups at the back which included Andy Schleck, not sure why.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps they exceeded the time limits ????

keith roberts | 11 years ago
0 likes

anyhow thanks for the advice chaps, ta!  4

0 likes

Retirement is the best option, I fear. Better retiring before the UCI or WADA catch up with you.  3

Pages

Latest Comments