Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vuelta al Pais Vasco - Stage 5

So, is today a breakaway stage or will the GC guys bring it back together for a big finish?

My money is on a select group reaching the finish together (mainly GC people) similar to the crazy stage during Tirreno-Adriatico.

My 1,2,3 for today is Sanchez, Quintana, Henao.  Sanchez has something to prove and Euskatel need a win, Quintana and Henao are both in great form and I can't see any group with Porte in making it to the finish at the front, why would you tow along Porte when he's just going to smash you to bits in the TT?

At this points in time Txurruka has pretty much sewn up the mountains and sprint jerseys so will he bother racing today?

No changes for me so I'll announce my team:

Contador, Porte, Quintana, Sanchez, Peraud, Ulissi, Txurruka, Cardoso, Betancurt

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

83 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Scores updating, today was a nightmare, 50-odd non-finishers and 10 climbs so apologies for the delay.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Woohoo - 266 whopping points and 2nd on the stage  4

Thats my best result of the season.

STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can feel a gamble coming on tomorrow for the guy who at the moment for me,is the guy who impresses me the most in the world of cycling.....  3

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ive already made my transfers for tomorrow

Axed Henao, Quintana and Fuglsang for Sanchez, Martin and Castroviejo

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good day for me today, but it could have been so much better. I swapped Gorka for Peraud who was pointless...planning for thr ITT. If only I had gone for Sanchez...

Alan Tullett replied to obutterwick | 11 years ago
0 likes
obutterwick wrote:

Go on Fraile my son!!

Get in there lad! You can do it! Caja Rural rock! Euskadi stink!

livestrongnick replied to livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

and he did nearly 16mins down...

Stumps replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Txurruka will get 10 points tomorrow assuming he a) starts and b) finishes in the time limit. That's 5 each for leading the sprint and KoM standings plus obviously any he gets on the actual stage itself.

Same logic applies to the likes of Didier etc and anyone else in KoM/sprint top 5 as there are no sprint/KoM points awarded tomorrow so no change in the standings.

Cheers bud.

obutterwick replied to simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:

pcs says :-
DNF SCHLECK Andy RadioShack - Leopard

Dreadful, dreadful start to the season. Still, there's only one way he can go from here.

keith roberts replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

thanks stumps, thought that was the case, but prudent to check/ask so many wise people out there!

ray silvester replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

Can feel a gamble coming on tomorrow for the guy who at the moment for me,is the guy who impresses me the most in the world of cycling.....  3

@TheJensie?

ray silvester replied to Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

30 pt lead for you now Alan  39

Stumps replied to obutterwick | 11 years ago
0 likes
obutterwick wrote:
simon F wrote:

Dreadful, dreadful start to the season. Still, there's only one way he can go from here.

Retire  39  39  39

Philip Unwin replied to obutterwick | 11 years ago
0 likes
obutterwick wrote:
simon F wrote:

Probably a Luxembourg retirement home

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had Fraile earlier and dropped Talansky but can't see the latter scoring many points. I'm pretty sure it'll all come together when Movistar and Saxo come to the front. Only a minute gap.

Just remembered Fraile is in my purist! Go lad!! Also got G Izagirre, Talansky Sanchez, Porte and Contador in my purists so hopefully whatever happens one of my teams will do well!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

#PaisVasco 72.5km to go and gap is 57"

Quote:

#PaisVasco Txurruka and a teammate on the attack.

Philip Unwin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Maybe Saxo can do some work today

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

J Izaguirre, Didier, Costa, Herrada, Moreno, Fuglsang, Silin, Cherel, Talansky & Navarro. Gap is 1'10"

I was spot on with Fuglsang, shame I didn't pick him, and also expected Movistar to throw a couple of people up the road.

Despite the strength in the break I still can't see it staying out right until the end.

0 likes

Nerz, Kohler, Vanendert, Novikov abandon, but Schleck still rolling.

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

Txurruka led by 48 going into the stage and took the first cat3 so that one's over.....Big Fat LR for Txurruka tomorrow as he rides around the TT course waving to everyone?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

10 points for a cat 1
6 points for a cat 2
3 points for a cat 3

Today there are 5 cat 3s (15 points) plus 4 cat 2s (24 points) and assuming they included it a cat 1 (10 points) making the max available 49 points.

Txurruka had a lead of 38 points on Didier at the start of the day, I assume he took the first just in case and then when he saw two people going up the road to take the remaining points just sat back as his job was done.

Sprint wise Txurruka was already in an insurmountable position before the stage.

0 likes

Mangel & Tankink also gone. Down to 139 I think

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think Txurruka probably done the maths and took the first one which I think seals the peas as it were!!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I never bothered to work out how many KoM points are available today, can Herrada catch Txurruka?

Philip Unwin replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I never bothered to work out how many KoM points are available today, can Herrada catch Txurruka?

Txurruka started with 61 Herrada with 6. 10 mountain passes today, but Txurruda has already won the first, so I think it's impossible.

0 likes

mountain 3
1 Herrada
2 Silin
3 Talansky

0 likes

mountain 2
1 Herrada
2 Silin
3 Hesjedal
Silin has been the star of my disastrous purist team, giving me my fourth lanterne rouge of the season on stage 1, now he's in a break. Let me down on stage 3 though by foolishly finishing second last.

0 likes

Valls & Vichot abandon. Any guesses on the number of finishers today? I think they're down to 141 now.

0 likes

Casar gone. come on 'drheaton' what odds are you offering for Schleck not finishing.

0 likes

Gilbert gone. Schleck still going

Pages

Latest Comments