Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vuelta al Pais Vasco - Stage 4

Tough decisions to make today, will Txurruka go in the break again?  Will the same people be racing for the win or will the slightly easier finale make for a different selection.

My transfer decisions are basically which 2 of 3 riders do I drop for which 2 of 3 I want?

I can either drop Fuglsang and Barguil for Ulissi and Didier or another sub 6 credit rider or I can drop Peraud and Barguil for Ulissi and Txurruka.

I don't really want to drop Peraud and I'm worried that Txurruka pretty much has the jersey sewn up now so won't go in the break today but he's a guaranteed 10 points whatever happens.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

121 comments

livestrongnick replied to ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Dropped Spilak, Barguil and Fuglsang, drafted in Cardoso, Txurruka and Ulissi

Contador
Peraud
Porte
Sanchez
Quintana
Ulissi
Cardoso
Txurruka
Betancurt

In the end decided that Spilak was boring and steady enough to get rid of, can't see him getting more than 15 points today. Plan is to keep it broadly the same tomorrow then bring in Martin, Talansky and a couple of others and drop Contador, maybe Quintana and possibly Sanchez.

Drop Contador, really?

Quintana had a good ITT recently too (Paris-Nice Col D'Eze)3rd behind Porte/Talansky and beating Tejay,Kloden,Peraud,Chavanel,Coppel,Menchov,Velits and Spilak amongst others¬!!

Exactly my thinking too  39 Contador out and bring in guys mentioned above.....only had contador for mountain points don't intend on keeping him for TT!

TERatcliffe26 replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I'll be keeping Betancurt, possibly Txurruka if I can afford to then bringing some of the mid-price TTers at around 15-20 credits. Dropping Contador allows me to do that. In fact I may not bother with Talansky/TJVG if I think I can spread the credits around better but it'll depend alot on GC points available.

Also, I don't want to take too much of a hit on penalty transfers.

I agree, there aren't many sub-10 points riders worth picking for the TT. I think that's just the way the values fall on these short races. One TT stage in amongst 21 in a Grand Tour means it's has less weight and therefore TTers would be cheaper, one TT stage in 6 means it's considerably more important.

Just looked at my team and there will be no real benefit in me dropping Contador, due to the other changes I will have to make

It will look something like this I think

Peraud (for Henao)
Porte
Fuglsang
Martin (for Quintana)
Contador
Sanchez (for Spilak)
Serry (for Pineau)
Txurruka
Betancurt

drheaton replied to ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Quintana had a good ITT recently too (Paris-Nice Col D'Eze)3rd behind Porte/Talansky and beating Tejay,Kloden,Peraud,Chavanel,Coppel,Menchov,Velits and Spilak amongst others¬!!

Yeah, but he hasn't shown as much form on flatter TTs, uphill is different and I wouldn't expect the same people to be as high up this time around. Porte has shown flat form before, as has Talansky, I'm not sure if Quintana has.

Anyway, you don't have to listen to me  4

Philip Unwin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Van den Broeck abandoned

0 likes

7 on a break
Izagirre (3)
Martinez
Schleck
Vorganov
Roche
Vanendert
Preidler
Don't think the peleton will let that many go

0 likes

8km later caught

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

roche in there so saxo don't have too chase and sets up bertie  39

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can't be a very interesting race today. No escapes allowed and both diariovasco and biciclismo have had nothing to say for 20 mins or so.

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Typical. Just after I said that, 5 riders start to get away and Egoitz Garcia abandons.

0 likes

A group of five have 30 secs
Velits
Vorganov
Ratto
Taaramae
+1

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Egoitz Garcia was a DNF yesterday actually. I only noticed because he was in both my teams and I thought he might have been last man home. Ratto in the break today would make up for it tho - a bit of a bonus for my purists if it sticks...  4

0 likes

adv 2.20

0 likes

+1 is Montaguti

TERatcliffe26 replied to chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Egoitz Garcia was a DNF yesterday actually. I only noticed because he was in both my teams and I thought he might have been last man home. Ratto in the break today would make up for it tho - a bit of a bonus for my purists if it sticks...  4

Same for me with Ratto in my purists, hopefully will take the sprints

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Typical, I knew this would happen, first day I have Txurruka in my team he isn't in the break  14

0 likes

Montaguti was almost a permanent fixture in my team last year. not touched him this year  2

simon F replied to chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

I don't think this will be allowed to go to the finish. Velits is only at 1:49

0 likes

1st mountain
1 Ratto
2 Montaguti
3 Vorganov
adv 5 mins

0 likes

30 metre visibility in the fog is going to make the descents a bit hairy

chrisdstripes replied to simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

Yeah, I meant sticks as in becoming the day's break, which it looks like it is. I'm sure it will all be back together before the last climb, but hopefully not until after the last intermediate sprint...

simon F replied to chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Yeah, I meant sticks as in becoming the day's break, which it looks like it is. I'm sure it will all be back together before the last climb, but hopefully not until after the last intermediate sprint...

I realised that was what you probably meant soon after I posted but it was too late  46

0 likes

Sprint 1
1 Montaguti
2 Velits
3 Vorganov
Eurosport time!

0 likes

Abandoned
Brajkovic
Gerrans
Elissonde
Roy
De Gendt

0 likes

2nd moutain
1 Vorganov
2 Montaguti
3 Velits

ray silvester replied to Philip Unwin | 11 years ago
0 likes
Philip Unwin wrote:

Abandoned
Brajkovic
Gerrans
Elissonde
Roy
De Gendt

First flight to Paris?

Philip Unwin replied to ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:
Philip Unwin wrote:

Abandoned
Brajkovic
Gerrans
Elissonde
Roy
De Gendt

First flight to Paris?

Especially if Cancellara keeps falling off!

0 likes

Sprint 2
1 Ratto
2 Montaguti
3 Vorganov

chrisdstripes replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

Same for me with Ratto in my purists, hopefully will take the sprints

Ratto going well - won the second sprint and will be in the top three over the cat 1 climb here...  4

Philip Unwin replied to chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:
simon F wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

Maybe, just maybe

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Looking a bit different now, yes!

Pages

Latest Comments