Vuelta al Pais Vasco - Stage 4

by drheaton   April 4, 2013  

Tough decisions to make today, will Txurruka go in the break again?  Will the same people be racing for the win or will the slightly easier finale make for a different selection.

My transfer decisions are basically which 2 of 3 riders do I drop for which 2 of 3 I want?

I can either drop Fuglsang and Barguil for Ulissi and Didier or another sub 6 credit rider or I can drop Peraud and Barguil for Ulissi and Txurruka.

I don't really want to drop Peraud and I'm worried that Txurruka pretty much has the jersey sewn up now so won't go in the break today but he's a guaranteed 10 points whatever happens.

121 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

damn u fuglsang!! no full house cheers then.....

'Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you'

livestrongnick's picture

posted by livestrongnick [1706 posts]
4th April 2013 - 17:28

like this
Like (3)

Why do I have the feeling that having 1-6, 13 and 15 on the stage and 1-6 and 9 on GC (with no Txuruka and 10 penalty points) will not scare anyone?

posted by cgipryan [74 posts]
4th April 2013 - 17:37

like this
Like (1)

Timbo13 wrote:
Txurruka rolled in 129th on stage

Readying himself for the big assault tomorrow perhaps? Wink

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1540 posts]
4th April 2013 - 18:02

like this
Like (1)

arsene wrote:

Spilak took the points, so it must have been bfore he got caught. There was even a 2k descent. So I'd score that. Wink

I'd score it too. Go on Dave, you know it makes sense!

chrisdstripes's picture

4th April 2013 - 18:03

like this
Like (0)

The same finish was used in last years Vuelta, so I'd suggest doing the same as whatever was done then.

posted by Wig_Billy [574 posts]
4th April 2013 - 18:20

like this
Like (3)

Usually such finishes are not scored.

posted by Alan Tullett [1432 posts]
4th April 2013 - 18:28

like this
Like (1)

Wig_Billy wrote:
The same finish was used in last years Vuelta, so I'd suggest doing the same as whatever was done then.

I remember it was scored then Contador took the points i guess. Nerd

posted by arsene [217 posts]
4th April 2013 - 18:29

like this
Like (2)

arsene wrote:
Wig_Billy wrote:

I remember it was scored then Contador took the points i guess. Nerd

Looking back at my palmares, and the results from that stage, I think the climb was scored. Froome took 34 fantasy points which I can only make work if he was given the 2 points for 4th over the climb. (3rd on the stage and 4th on GC for 32 + 2 for the climb)

posted by simon F [978 posts]
4th April 2013 - 18:46

like this
Like (1)

1,2,3,5,6 for the stage and 1,2,3,4,5. Overall....plus a few extras for txurrika...not bad

J Andrew Hill

Its a marathon, not a snickers

JAndrewHill's picture

posted by JAndrewHill [1209 posts]
4th April 2013 - 19:04

like this
Like (1)

Alan Tullett wrote:

If the finish line is also the KOM line, then they aren't scored, but that isn't the case here. I don't care either way, but it seems funny to have it as a discretionary rule when it could just be black-and-white - all KOMs count unless it is also the finish line.

chrisdstripes's picture

4th April 2013 - 19:31

like this
Like (3)

Personally i think if its a summit finish you should get KOM points, you would if it was a mountain earlier in the stage so why not here ?

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2674 posts]
4th April 2013 - 19:41

like this
Like (1)

Because you don't get sprint points on a flat stage but you do in intermediate sprints, what's the difference?

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
4th April 2013 - 19:59

like this
Like (2)

chrisdstripes wrote:
Alan Tullett wrote:

If the finish line is also the KOM line, then they aren't scored, but that isn't the case here. I don't care either way, but it seems funny to have it as a discretionary rule when it could just be black-and-white - all KOMs count unless it is also the finish line.

Its discretionary because every stage is different, what if the summit is 500mm before the finish line, or 1km? Surely 500m is too close to the finish, that's practically a summit?

4th April 2013 - 20:03

like this
Like (3)

Rather than being a summit finish, this was more of a PLUMMET finish....as Talanski and a.n.other will concur

J Andrew Hill

Its a marathon, not a snickers

JAndrewHill's picture

posted by JAndrewHill [1209 posts]
4th April 2013 - 20:05

like this
Like (3)

It's the same finish as Stage 3 of last year's Vuelta. The finish is approx 2km after the KoM point. The KoM was scored then so it should probably be scored this time. I don't really care one way or the other though. I'd just like a decision so we can all find out our scores for the day.

3uk.gif

4th April 2013 - 20:25

like this
Like (0)

drheaton wrote:
... I'll have to take a look at the profile when I score the stage...

Why oes it take so long to score the stage and put up the results? Sad

Alan Tullett wrote:

chrisdstripes wrote:

If the finish line is also the KOM line, then they aren't scored, but that isn't the case here.... it seems funny to have it as a discretionary rule when it could just be black-and-white - all KOMs count unless it is also the finish line.

I agree... Score it...

stumps wrote:
Personally i think if its a summit finish you should get KOM points, you would if it was a mountain earlier in the stage so why not here ?

I agree...

Vive Le Road.cc Fantasy Cycling Game!

posted by enrique [1520 posts]
4th April 2013 - 20:28

like this
Like (0)

Apologies for the delay, after a stewards enquiry the official decision is that the points count.

In future, if it's a HM (high mountain stage, as today's is) then it's not officially a summit finish and therefore the KoM point will apply.

Make sense?

Scores are updating.

4th April 2013 - 20:29

like this
Like (3)

drheaton wrote:
Apologies for the delay, after a stewards enquiry the official decision is that the points count.

In future, if it's a HM (high mountain stage, as today's is) then it's not officially a summit finish and therefore the KoM point will apply.

Make sense?

Scores are updating.

All seems perfectly reasonable and makes sense. Thanks for sorting it out (with or without the stewards' help)

4th April 2013 - 20:31

like this
Like (1)

enrique wrote:
drheaton wrote:
... I'll have to take a look at the profile when I score the stage...

Why oes it take so long to score the stage and put up the results? Sad

Enrique, the full results have only been available for a short while (we have to wait for official results on all climbs/sprints etc) so it's not like we can update them immediately on the finish of the race. I can't rely on unofficial twitter feeds or anything like that, I need cold hard official results or something like what Cycling News provides which is what I usually use.

Anyway, those doing the scoring also have jobs and other commitments that mean that it may take until 8pm or 9pm to put up scores some days. Apologies if this is too late for you but we're doing it voluntarily.

4th April 2013 - 20:34

like this
Like (2)

I think I've got this right - I have 3 transfers for tommorrow but if i don't use one, I will lose it / won't have 5 for the TT?

Thanks

posted by northstar [1083 posts]
4th April 2013 - 21:24

like this
Like (2)

JAndrewHill wrote:
Rather than being a summit finish, this was more of a PLUMMET finish....as Talanski and a.n.other will concur

That deserves a big laughing face Laughing

chrisdstripes's picture

4th April 2013 - 21:28

like this
Like (1)

NeilG83 wrote:
1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9 for me today! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Nice one Neil - stage win!

chrisdstripes's picture

4th April 2013 - 21:28

like this
Like (1)

northstar wrote:
I think I've got this right - I have 3 transfers for tommorrow but if i don't use one, I will lose it / won't have 5 for the TT?

Thanks

It depends, are you premium? Standard players can carry two forward so can have at most 4, there is no limit on how many transfers a premium player can roll forward.

4th April 2013 - 22:08

like this
Like (2)

Yeah, I'm premium, i thought the same rules applied, thanks dr Cool

posted by northstar [1083 posts]
4th April 2013 - 22:18

like this
Like (2)

I have been playing this game for almost 2 years and have finally finished 1st on a stage. 255pts for me today.

Have got all the badges except the 10,000pts now too. Big Grin

posted by NeilG83 [224 posts]
4th April 2013 - 22:35

like this
Like (2)

NeilG83 wrote:
I... finally finished 1st on a stage. 255pts for me today.

Wow! Pretty cool! Nice! Smile You must be 1st on the High Scores for the season, too! Smile

Vive Le Road.cc Fantasy Cycling Game!

posted by enrique [1520 posts]
4th April 2013 - 22:50

like this
Like (2)

NeilG83 wrote:
I have been playing this game for almost 2 years and have finally finished 1st on a stage. 255pts for me today.

Chapeau NeilG83......I'll race you to the 10K badge?

Although I've Still never had a stage win Thinking

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
5th April 2013 - 0:31

like this
Like (2)

ray silvester wrote:
NeilG83 wrote:

Chapeau NeilG83......I'll race you to the 10K badge?

Although I've Still never had a stage win Thinking

I think you'll beat me to 10K Ray. You're more than 500pts ahead of me at the moment.

Kept the same team for today, so I can have 4 transfers available before the TT.

posted by NeilG83 [224 posts]
5th April 2013 - 15:20

like this
Like (1)

TERatcliffe26 wrote:
ray silvester wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
drheaton wrote:
Dropped Spilak, Barguil and Fuglsang, drafted in Cardoso, Txurruka and Ulissi

Contador
Peraud
Porte
Sanchez
Quintana
Ulissi
Cardoso
Txurruka
Betancurt

In the end decided that Spilak was boring and steady enough to get rid of, can't see him getting more than 15 points today. Plan is to keep it broadly the same tomorrow then bring in Martin, Talansky and a couple of others and drop Contador, maybe Quintana and possibly Sanchez.

Drop Contador, really?

Quintana had a good ITT recently too (Paris-Nice Col D'Eze)3rd behind Porte/Talansky and beating Tejay,Kloden,Peraud,Chavanel,Coppel,Menchov,Velits and Spilak amongst others¬!!

Yes but that was totally different, 9km up a hill is what Qunitana is good at, not 24km on rolling terrain

As I said Wink

posted by ray silvester [1752 posts]
6th April 2013 - 17:11

like this
Like (2)

ray silvester wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
ray silvester wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
drheaton wrote:
Dropped Spilak, Barguil and Fuglsang, drafted in Cardoso, Txurruka and Ulissi

Contador
Peraud
Porte
Sanchez
Quintana
Ulissi
Cardoso
Txurruka
Betancurt

In the end decided that Spilak was boring and steady enough to get rid of, can't see him getting more than 15 points today. Plan is to keep it broadly the same tomorrow then bring in Martin, Talansky and a couple of others and drop Contador, maybe Quintana and possibly Sanchez.

Drop Contador, really?

Quintana had a good ITT recently too (Paris-Nice Col D'Eze)3rd behind Porte/Talansky and beating Tejay,Kloden,Peraud,Chavanel,Coppel,Menchov,Velits and Spilak amongst others¬!!

Yes but that was totally different, 9km up a hill is what Qunitana is good at, not 24km on rolling terrain

As I said Wink

Well I paid the price, it was a surprise though

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3785 posts]
6th April 2013 - 17:54

like this
Like (3)