Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Choosing a new bike, how hard can it be?

Hello All

New poster but long term lurker, finally got round to registering!

I will be buying myself a new bike this year, I'm due a payout from the insurance for having my bike written off last year, my winter bike is currently doing sterling service but I'm starting to get the new bike itch.

Where do I start?

I want a bike that will be universally admired, one that will float up hills, hammer the descents and be almost self-propelled on the flat.

I want the classic lines of steel, the magic of titanium and the lightweight of carbon.

Not much to ask for is it?

Perhaps I should just buy a Specialized Tarmac instead of the Enigma Esprit I'm currently lusting over..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

41 comments

pirnie | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've recently acquired a Gran Turismo, and its a brilliant bike. But be warned, it does have a habit of making you ride it as fast as possible!

If you can get a good end of season deal I'd go for it, especially considering the (in my opinion) downgrade of the new GTR

thebungle | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that. What had you before?

I must admit I'm not a fan of the crankset on it for looks and at that price I don't especially want to have to change!

pirnie | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had a Trek 1.5, so a fairly big upgrade. Not surprising that the difference is so noticeable, but I'm very happy.

I can why you say that about the crankset, personally I quite like it, but each to their own. It's Wilier branded too so it might not be the easiest to sell it on if you were to switch it out

ilovemytinbred | 10 years ago
0 likes

One of the many bikes I have had is the s-works sl3 tarmac. It is the best bike I have ever ridden. I have had top end ti bikes which I love, but IMO for fast riding the Spesh is best!- But then everyone is different and the Ti bike still looks better.

If I could afford another top bike I would find it ard to look past the tarmac sworks SL4 or the cannondale supersix evo.

thebungle | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've finally got my hands on a new bike, I went for the Wilier Gran Turismo, a cracking deal from the LBS sealed the deal.

Delighted with it so far, the handling is the standout feature, it is so eager to corner.

Still settling into the slightly more aggressive position, the stem at 120mm is at the limit of what is suitable for me, good excuse to keep riding though!

//i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258/rafladdie/IMG_2722_zpsde025e0c.jpg)

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Congrats. Nice bike  16

Bike Swanky replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

Congrats. Nice bike  16

I'll second that - very nice.

Would you have liked a Di2 equipped Eddy Merckx on 2 years 0% finance for aroudn the £2.5k mark?

We've got some gorgeous Merckx and DeRosas with 25% off and 2 years 0% finance right now:
http://bikeSwanky.co.uk/catalog/153?items_per_page=10&page=5

thebungle replied to Bike Swanky | 10 years ago
0 likes
Bike Swanky wrote:
Super Domestique wrote:

Congrats. Nice bike  16

I'll second that - very nice.

Would you have liked a Di2 equipped Eddy Merckx on 2 years 0% finance for aroudn the £2.5k mark?

We've got some gorgeous Merckx and DeRosas with 25% off and 2 years 0% finance right now:
http://bikeSwanky.co.uk/catalog/153?items_per_page=10&page=5

Does it come with a free tin of spam?

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

24  41

Sorry but that comment was very funny Bike Swanky

pirnie replied to thebungle | 10 years ago
0 likes

Congrats!! Glad you finally got things sorted out, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I've been enjoying mine! It's been getting a lot of envious looks out with my club lately  16

thebungle replied to pirnie | 10 years ago
0 likes
pirnie wrote:

Congrats!! Glad you finally got things sorted out, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I've been enjoying mine! It's been getting a lot of envious looks out with my club lately  16

Thanks!

Considering I was in two minds about it I now absolutely love it - it looks just 'right', looking forward to really getting to grips with it and although it will be far from a garage queen I certainly won't be running it through the worst of the weather.

Pages

Latest Comments