Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Choosing a new bike, how hard can it be?

Hello All

New poster but long term lurker, finally got round to registering!

I will be buying myself a new bike this year, I'm due a payout from the insurance for having my bike written off last year, my winter bike is currently doing sterling service but I'm starting to get the new bike itch.

Where do I start?

I want a bike that will be universally admired, one that will float up hills, hammer the descents and be almost self-propelled on the flat.

I want the classic lines of steel, the magic of titanium and the lightweight of carbon.

Not much to ask for is it?

Perhaps I should just buy a Specialized Tarmac instead of the Enigma Esprit I'm currently lusting over..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

41 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Surely.

SURELY.

I was the Eighty Thousand and first contributor?

IS THAT WORTH NOTHING?

_

I had exactly the same thing, I wanted something different.

The S1 is that.

It certainly stands out on the line from all the average Dogmas and Tarmacs (Yes, people have Dogmas and tarmacs in Youth and Junior Races).

In a way, I'll be sorry that I'll probably not race on it again, but my team bike is bloody good.

Oh yeah...

Have you looked at Vo2?

Al'76 | 11 years ago
0 likes

After eighteen months on an Allez Elite, I picked up 2012 Tarmac SL3 in the Christmas sales for £2k (thank you Evans :D). Stiff, light, very fast and compliant.....loving it!

Might not be niche, but the fact (no pun intended) that a manufacturer is willing to issue a Whitepaper on their material selection, design & engineering etc. speaks volumes. Before I saw the Spesh on sale I thought long and hard about the new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (not exactly niche I know, but I like "bang for my buck"), but the UK sales rep (curt, generally unhelpful) wouldn't give any information on the frame at all; that, in conjunction with rumours of poor aftersales service, was enough to put me off.

Some brands get big and retain the principles that they had from the outset..I think Spesh is one of those brands.

I hear Cav is rather pleased to be back on one.

Super Domestique replied to Al'76 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Al'76 wrote:

After eighteen months on an Allez Elite, I picked up 2012 Tarmac SL3 in the Christmas sales for £2k (thank you Evans :D). Stiff, light, very fast and compliant.....loving it!

Might not be niche, but the fact (no pun intended) that a manufacturer is willing to issue a Whitepaper on their material selection, design & engineering etc. speaks volumes. Before I saw the Spesh on sale I thought long and hard about the new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (not exactly niche I know, but I like "bang for my buck"), but the UK sales rep (curt, generally unhelpful) wouldn't give any information on the frame at all; that, in conjunction with rumours of poor aftersales service, was enough to put me off.

Some brands get big and retain the principles that they had from the outset..I think Spesh is one of those brands.

I hear Cav is rather pleased to be back on one.

Mine is the SL3 too. Lovely bikes to ride.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

In other news, you've managed to be the 80,000th contribution to the site. So you win a pair of socks  1

thebungle replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

In other news, you've managed to be the 80,000th contribution to the site. So you win a pair of socks  1

Happy days!

If me that is, if not I'll just continue to hit the 'like' button on Facebook  3

Super Domestique replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

What was that Dave? 'as do all those that contributed to this thread up until your announcement?' Awesome!  16

oh well, you can't blame a guy for trying, right?  3

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough.

I lusted after a Pinarello before I even owned a road bike, then through my first year or so on my Allez.

When I had the money and opportunity to get one though I compared it to a Tarmac Expert (both brands in same store) then I could see I was getting more pure race bike for my money. Beyond my capability I might add.

The fact that I could get a greater deal on the Spesh was the final straw. It was also amazingly comfy for the type of bike it is, including being more comfy than the Allez.

That said, if you have a niche bike itch then get scratching.

bike_food | 11 years ago
0 likes

I love my 2010 Tarmac comp.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

What's wrong with a Tarmac?

thebungle replied to Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nothing at all, it's all the bike I would most likely ever need and more but for me I want something a little 'different'.

The problem being of course that being different doesn't always equate to being better!

FWIW based purely on an aesthetic point of view none of the big brands currently really do it for me, be it Spesh, Giant or Trek, if I'm spending £2.5k upwards I really have to lust over it  1

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Its this easy:

Cervelo S1.

Pages

Latest Comments