Home

Hello All

New poster but long term lurker, finally got round to registering!

I will be buying myself a new bike this year, I'm due a payout from the insurance for having my bike written off last year, my winter bike is currently doing sterling service but I'm starting to get the new bike itch.

Where do I start?

I want a bike that will be universally admired, one that will float up hills, hammer the descents and be almost self-propelled on the flat.

I want the classic lines of steel, the magic of titanium and the lightweight of carbon.

Not much to ask for is it?

Perhaps I should just buy a Specialized Tarmac instead of the Enigma Esprit I'm currently lusting over..

41 comments

Raleigh [1667 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Its this easy:

Cervelo S1.

Super Domestique [1614 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

What's wrong with a Tarmac?

bike_food [173 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I love my 2010 Tarmac comp.

thebungle [104 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Nothing at all, it's all the bike I would most likely ever need and more but for me I want something a little 'different'.

The problem being of course that being different doesn't always equate to being better!

FWIW based purely on an aesthetic point of view none of the big brands currently really do it for me, be it Spesh, Giant or Trek, if I'm spending £2.5k upwards I really have to lust over it  1

0 likes

Fair enough.

I lusted after a Pinarello before I even owned a road bike, then through my first year or so on my Allez.

When I had the money and opportunity to get one though I compared it to a Tarmac Expert (both brands in same store) then I could see I was getting more pure race bike for my money. Beyond my capability I might add.

The fact that I could get a greater deal on the Spesh was the final straw. It was also amazingly comfy for the type of bike it is, including being more comfy than the Allez.

That said, if you have a niche bike itch then get scratching.

dave atkinson [6297 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

In other news, you've managed to be the 80,000th contribution to the site. So you win a pair of socks  1

0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

In other news, you've managed to be the 80,000th contribution to the site. So you win a pair of socks  1

Happy days!

If me that is, if not I'll just continue to hit the 'like' button on Facebook  3

Al'76 [110 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

After eighteen months on an Allez Elite, I picked up 2012 Tarmac SL3 in the Christmas sales for £2k (thank you Evans :D). Stiff, light, very fast and compliant.....loving it!

Might not be niche, but the fact (no pun intended) that a manufacturer is willing to issue a Whitepaper on their material selection, design & engineering etc. speaks volumes. Before I saw the Spesh on sale I thought long and hard about the new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (not exactly niche I know, but I like "bang for my buck"), but the UK sales rep (curt, generally unhelpful) wouldn't give any information on the frame at all; that, in conjunction with rumours of poor aftersales service, was enough to put me off.

Some brands get big and retain the principles that they had from the outset..I think Spesh is one of those brands.

I hear Cav is rather pleased to be back on one.

0 likes
Al'76 wrote:

After eighteen months on an Allez Elite, I picked up 2012 Tarmac SL3 in the Christmas sales for £2k (thank you Evans :D). Stiff, light, very fast and compliant.....loving it!

Might not be niche, but the fact (no pun intended) that a manufacturer is willing to issue a Whitepaper on their material selection, design & engineering etc. speaks volumes. Before I saw the Spesh on sale I thought long and hard about the new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (not exactly niche I know, but I like "bang for my buck"), but the UK sales rep (curt, generally unhelpful) wouldn't give any information on the frame at all; that, in conjunction with rumours of poor aftersales service, was enough to put me off.

Some brands get big and retain the principles that they had from the outset..I think Spesh is one of those brands.

I hear Cav is rather pleased to be back on one.

Mine is the SL3 too. Lovely bikes to ride.

0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

What was that Dave? 'as do all those that contributed to this thread up until your announcement?' Awesome!  16

oh well, you can't blame a guy for trying, right?  3

0 likes

Surely.

SURELY.

I was the Eighty Thousand and first contributor?

IS THAT WORTH NOTHING?

_

I had exactly the same thing, I wanted something different.

The S1 is that.

It certainly stands out on the line from all the average Dogmas and Tarmacs (Yes, people have Dogmas and tarmacs in Youth and Junior Races).

In a way, I'll be sorry that I'll probably not race on it again, but my team bike is bloody good.

Oh yeah...

Have you looked at Vo2?

notfastenough [3719 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Don't want much, do you?  4

Mind us asking what your budget is?

How about a Condor? Look? Colnago? Or, for even more niche, Starley? Spin Cycleworks?

Based purely on looks/brand/something a bit different, I'd go for the Look 675 in a heartbeat. Check out the pics/review on here.

0 likes
0 likes

Not much at all  4

Bikes I've considered so far and in no particular order are;

Condor Leggero
Condor Super Acciao
Enigma Esprit
Basso Astra.
handbuilt by Ricky Feather (he is 10 miles down the road)
handbuilt by an old skool builder (he is 10 miles up the road)

Now let's be honest, all those bikes would be lovely although they are in danger of really pushing the budget (£2.5k ish).

I enjoy fast riding and heading off out to explore, geometry wise I'd say most 'sportive' bikes are too relaxed but I'm not quite there for aggressive 'race' geometry either.

That 675 is certainly a striking looking bike although I must admit based on the pictures I'm not sure how fond I am of the integrated stem.

0 likes
0 likes

Or this, which can be done in ANY colour with ANY graphic you like:

0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Eh?

Eh?

I appreciate Cervelo but I don't desire one, still I admire your perseverance in trying to persuade me and others otherwise  3

0 likes

Look! Any colour you like!

0 likes

Even as a Cow!

700c [1065 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Lovely bike pics but can't help feeling you'd be a target - if you haven't got the speed to match the racy carbon look then that admiration of your peers will quickly disappear!

Go for Ti, you know it makes sense. It will be admired!  1

Mostyn [396 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Always a personal choice when buying a self-propelled two wheeled vehicle? What you need to think about is : The advise from others is good? Maybe? Did they say : I have that or this bike? Therefor it must be good!

Reviews are great to iron out the pro's & con's. But, before you purchase anything on recommendation; do your research.

Here's a few I'd recommend : The Spesh, as others have mentioned (I like it verymuch) now take a close look at Ridley Bikes. Canyon should not be overlooked! And the newest Giant Road Race Range of bikes is something to consider. Personally I'd look at the Cube Lightening Stealth. But the choice is yours. Good luck and enjoy searching for your dream mount.

0 likes

You mean you wouldn't be a target on this?  19

0 likes

You'd certainly be a tw@t!  4

notfastenough [3719 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

@Thebungle - that stem is definitely a love/hate thing, personally I love it.

Spin bikes are nice, but I don't think I'd be choosing those wheels!

andyp [1489 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

'You'd certainly be a tw@t! '

Why?

0 likes

Its hideous! Personal opinion of course and meant in jest,

but a bit ostentatious for me, I'm thinking if this was a car it'd be Jordan's pink Bentley..

ag_hind [9 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Just to be different get a Boardman SLR. Everyone will think you're a newbie on a halfords special. Then they'll choke on your dust as you leave them trailing in your super-light, incredibly well specced for price wake - and you'll feel great for buying British.

I see all the so-called "cool" brands out all the time, but hardly ever a CB SLR. If rarity and style is what you want you won't be disappointed, and a SLR9.0 should be in your budget.

Yes I have a 9.8 but then I'm worth it  3

Can't get out on mine enough.

0 likes
0 likes

Swung my leg over a Wilier Gran Turismo at the LBS last night, very nice bike, in danger of being an over fussy design but just about pulls it off. My only concern is the (lack of) value for money, it's £2999 for an Athena build with Fulcrum 3 wheels, I'd be looking at a better spec for that money.

thebungle [104 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Well..

I've had a letter from the 'claim' and it would appear a payout is getting closer  1

Since I last posted I've discovered the joy that is retro, I've decided that to fill the 'special bike' space in the garage I will focus on a bike which (unknown to me) was built near my hometown in the early 80s, restored to high standrad it would certainly be a bike for life.

Which means I can blow my money on a super racey carbon jobbie, keen to spend my money in the LBS I still like the look of the Wilier Gran Turismo, especially as there are now good end of season deals to be had on them, also under consideration is the 2014 Ridley Helium, the SL version has fantastic reviews and the 'normal' version appears to have benefitted from some of the trickle down effect.

choices...

Pages