Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dolan Preffisio... a light bike?

Recently bought a Dolan Preffisio frameset and built it up with an old Tiagra groupset and shimano rs20 wheel set.

It's been a lovely winter ride but currently a little portly for the summer. So my plan was to stick an Ultegra groupset on it that I have in the loft and buy a lighter wheelset. Maybe shimano rs80s or Mavic Krysiums.

Now my question is,am I going to get it down to a decent weight? Or should I save my pennies for a carbon frame and build myself a proper summer bike....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

If it were me...

I'd straight up swap the Preffisio for either a Hercules SL or an Ares.

Not sure what the difference is exactly... But I like the look of the Hercules SL.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Upgrading to RS80s will save about 330g.

Upgrading to Ultegra will save between 300g and 500g - can't locate weight for Tiagra.

Call it 700g total reduction. Nothing wrong with that, but if you're going to do it, don't do it just for weight.

As for the frame, ok it's no lightweight, but then weight isn't everything, by a long shot.

As per my post on the Aero bikes thread, I'm not blowen away by the change in feel due to my ~500g bike weight reduction. I get considerably more difference from losing 4kg of body weight.

chiv30 replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Upgrading to RS80s will save about 330g.

Upgrading to Ultegra will save between 300g and 500g - can't locate weight for Tiagra.

Call it 700g total reduction. Nothing wrong with that, but if you're going to do it, don't do it just for weight.

As for the frame, ok it's no lightweight, but then weight isn't everything, by a long shot.

As per my post on the Aero bikes thread, I'm not blowen away by the change in feel due to my ~500g bike weight reduction. I get considerably more difference from losing 4kg of body weight.

Surely that is the most obvious statement ever  7
You will always see a considerable improvement by a 3.5 kilo difference but the point here is if you can shave 1kg with little financial outlay do it , three things hurt a cyclist .....weight, gravity and wind resistance weight is the easiest to alter

notfastenough replied to chiv30 | 11 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

Surely that is the most obvious statement ever  7
You will always see a considerable improvement by a 3.5 kilo difference but the point here is if you can shave 1kg with little financial outlay do it , three things hurt a cyclist .....weight, gravity and wind resistance weight is the easiest to alter

Perhaps so, but my point was that everyone raves about how a good set of wheels will transform your ride, you'll fly up hills etc - after shedding a similar amount of bike weight as the OP, I thought the difference was much less pronounced than that.

PJ McNally | 11 years ago
0 likes

You weigh sub-70kg, I assume? Otherwise, why bother?

Ackie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good idea! I had my eyes on an Ares SL. What is the difference between that and the Hercules?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Trade it in for a Hercules SL.

Or...

Maybe a Vo2?  4

Ackie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bugger is it! I guess I'm not going to save much with wheels and the ultegra group set.
I've got a few sportives throughout the year so want something a little more sprightly..

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

1.86 kg that frame weighs.

That's pretty heavy.

Latest Comments