Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Colnago CT1 versus more modern frames

Ok, I've got a nice Colnago CT1 B-Stay with mainly Chorus 10spd throughout (Record brakes and front mech) & Eurosport wheels. It's 9years or so old now and although I like the bike greatly, I cannot help but wonder what a more modern frame might be like in comparison. I. E. How much have frames moved on?

I missed out on a second hand CX1 frame but otherwise I've been looking at discounted mid-top end complete bikes like Eddy Merckx EMX3, Canyon CF8, De Rosa Merckx and Wilier Gran Turismo (all with Athena 11spd). The question is, compared to a 9yr old titanium/carbon mix frame, are these modern frames truly better (and worth me paying out for!).

Especially interested to hear from anyone who made the jump in a similar circumstance - and especially if you've ridden a CT1!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

bikerdavecycling | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is Parlee-King still a member? If so, apologies, just seen your question (don't ask) and yes, it is indeed "The Windmill" - Wymondham, east of Melton Mowbray for those wondering! And I've still that lovely bike.

Parlee-king | 10 years ago
0 likes

is that picture taken at the windmill?

bikerdavecycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks the Hatter & Badkneestom, I'll keep with the CT1 for at least another yearaand get full use out of it. Your feedback was v helpful.  1

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

I went to a full carbon bike (beone raw) from a colnago master and a Principia alu and honestly I regret it. I had to see what all the fuss was about but now think I'd go back to steel or alu.
The difference to my level of cycling is minimal at best.

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ahhh that's a great looking bike Dave!

I definitely understand the itch to try the best and most advanced. When it comes down to it, you won't hurt anything going to a few shops and trying out their wares. Especially if the geometry on yours is a little big for you, it'd be a great excuse to slap some mudguards on your CT1, call it your winter/rain bike (since the ti will outlive us) and treat yourself!

No matter what your choice, good luck!

0 likes

Thanks Tom. The frame of might be just a tiny smidgen (1cm) too large but that's a maybe and it perhaps only feels slightly too big as my Planet X crosser has a sloping top tube. It handles nicely, looks nice and all told is a decent, lovely bike but you can't help wondering if some performance improving bike was being missed out on. Plus I'm due to middle age crisis blow out....

I must admit, if it wasn't a Colnago, I would have been more likely to try something new but then I look at it and it makes me think twice...

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you're comfortable with the geometry, imho that's the biggest change. Other than that, not much really. I've been looking to get a CT1 or a Seven Odonata recently. The biggest technical advances seem to be in carbon layout (not huge in your frame) and weight cutting through improved processes.
The differences are not to the point where you should feel obsolete unless you need to have the 13lb frame (might I suggest losing 3lbs instead?)

Especially with that mainly titanium frame, that's a beaut you've got there. The carbon titanium frame basically renders the micro-suspension advances of today's frame moot.

Upgrade the drivetrain and brakes, maybe the seatpost or headstuffs!

0 likes

Eurosport? Damn predictive text! Eurus wheels.

Latest Comments