Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

sram apex front mech

Almost from new I have had problems with the sram apex front mech throwing the chainoff the rings. More often refusing to move from the granny ring to the big ring. Not inexperienced I've returned it on a regular basis. Just had the bike serviced by Evans and after 30 miles back to square one. Throwing the chain and refusing to change up. Isthere a quick fix or do I scrap it and get a Shimano mech?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

mhtt | 11 years ago
0 likes

But the main thing to start with is to adjust the mech's position relative to the chainrings. It should be as low as possible without touching them, and in the same plane as the chainrings (not twisted), which might not be as easy to spot as one might think, since the front mechs are often a bit bendy, rather than rectangular.

jezzzer | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've got apex on my commuter and the front mech is a little temperamental, requiring quite precise adjustment to avoid what you've described. Rather than having to slog back to Evans all the time, spend 5 minutes reading how to set it up yourself, it's really not difficult. I would recommend fitting an inline adjuster in the gear cable, and with that and the two little screws on the mech, you should be able to get it running properly. That, of course, is assuming the mech hasn't been damaged (bent etc), in which case no amount of twiddling would fix it!

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not had a problem with the front mech. The mech may be faulty, but I'd try a different shop/mechanic/mech rather than mixing components.

crash144019 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Always been a problem. Live in Yorkshire so there's a climb every two miles. It's fine for tbe first few changes then it's out of tune. Been reading around and seems to be a common problem. Don't see wby shima mech shouldn't work but there's only o e way to find out

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think Evans is the problem here. When set up correctly they work fine.

I don't think double tap shifters work with Shimano mechs.

Latest Comments