Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

mini pump for giant defy 2

Hi all. Have just bought my first road bike, a 2013 Giant defy 2. I bought a Zefal HPX as a frame pump but it doesn't fit the frame. Can I buy a mini pump that I can attach using the holes for the one of the bottle cages and if so can anyone suggest a decent and reasonably priced one? I've already bought a floor pump for at home. Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

shm98 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi all. Many thanks for your posts. I went for a Topeak Road Morph with gauge in the end.

snooks replied to shm98 | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's a good pump. I switched to Lezyne but if you need to pump a flat that one will do it for you and a little faster and easier than the Lezyne. The Lezyne pump bottle cage combination is a little sleeker though.

Eg3ftp1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Blackburn airstik is small enough to go in a specialized small saddle bag, very reliable and will get to 100psi without your arm dropping off. Also comes with a lifetime guarantee.

60kg lean keen ... | 11 years ago
0 likes

Lezyne Pressure Drive + Lezyne Flow Cage HP, you get a choice of colours and is rattle free. Looks good and works.

Tom Amos | 11 years ago
0 likes

I also really like the look of the Lezeyne. BUT I have read in the review on wiggle that the pump rattles when you ride. Is this true? That puts me off no end.

Kapelmuur replied to Tom Amos | 11 years ago
0 likes
Tom Amos wrote:

I also really like the look of the Lezeyne. BUT I have read in the review on wiggle that the pump rattles when you ride. Is this true? That puts me off no end.

Mine doesn't. I haven't had to use it yet, but it's a beautifully engineered product and a black pump on a black frame is almost invisible.

I used to carry a pump in my jersey but found that it caused slight bruising on my back during a long ride.

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

'The kind of people who think a tiny pump clipped to the bottle cage mount spoils the aesthetics either don't ride much or they are the annoying type that scrounges a pump/multitool/tube/levers from someone who bothered to carry one.'

bizarre.

snooks replied to andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

Exactly.
I'm using the Lezyne power cage bottle cage which has a pump bracket integrated into the cage along with a Lezyne road drive pump.

hotweathercyclist | 11 years ago
0 likes

Leyzene pressure drive pump, i bought mine and never used it till last week. I got a new tube in a pumped and ready to roll in minutes, Well worth the money.

Forester replied to hotweathercyclist | 11 years ago
0 likes

Lezyne kit seems good quality generally from experience

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

IMHO putting a lump of metal in your rear pocket is an unwise thing to do, especially when they are sold with a bracket.

The kind of people who think a tiny pump clipped to the bottle cage mount spoils the aesthetics either don't ride much or they are the annoying type that scrounges a pump/multitool/tube/levers from someone who bothered to carry one.

andycoventry replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

IMHO putting a lump of metal in your rear pocket is an unwise thing to do, especially when they are sold with a bracket.
quote]

Thats why we have rear pockets - I am confused why wouldn't you?. In case you fall off and impale yourself on it - how bizzare.

Mini CO2 pump and repair kit for me with spare canister and tube in tiny seat bag - works fine for me.

Simon E replied to andycoventry | 11 years ago
0 likes
andycoventry wrote:

Thats why we have rear pockets - I am confused why wouldn't you?. In case you fall off and impale yourself on it - how bizzare.

"Impale"? I don't sharpen mine.

If you ever have the misfortune to land on your back with a metal object in your rear pocket you'll know about it!

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for lezyne pumps - the large Lezyne road drive is my choice and it looks so good it deserves to be on show on the frame!
As for CO2 I've seen them fail when used by others too many times to be convinced and then theres the fact you're paying for air which seems just wrong.

YorkshireMike | 11 years ago
0 likes

I found the Giant Mini Road Plus pump on eBay last week and it arrived yesterday. I have the Defy 1 and don't think I'd ever put a pump on her - it'd ruin that beautiful profile! Keep it small enough to put in your jersey and you're onto a winner. The Mini Road Plus is perfect and a work of art in itself  4

http://www.shopgiant-bicycles.co.uk/3402/products/giant-control-mini-roa...

badkneestom | 11 years ago
0 likes

First comment, I'm an American who enjoys this amazing cycling site.. anywho:

Get a CO2 chuck or small CO2 inflator. Mini pumps, as stated above, look terrible, clunk against the frame, and disappear over fences after furiously pumping away for 10m on the side of the road only to see that you've finally made it to 60psi.

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

You don't need a frame pump, why would you want to clutter up your new steed in such a way? Do you expect to get a lot of punctures? You've already got a track pump for checking your pressures so just get a nice micro-pump to stick in your back pocket when you ride.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I like my Lezyne Pressure Drive. Well built, has double-ended flexible hose that screws onto Presta or Schraeder valves.

Super Domestique replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

I like my Lezyne Pressure Drive. Well built, has double-ended flexible hose that screws onto Presta or Schraeder valves.

Totally agree with this.

Latest Comments