Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Continental GP 4 Season....is it just me?

Not sure if I'm just "cursed" but I keep getting deep (down to the thread) cuts in 23mm GP 4 Seasons; I did the third tyre this winter over the weekend...

I like these tyres a lot; they grip, they're light and they roll well but this is costing me a fortune. I ride a lot of back roads so, inevitably, encounter mud & general cr*p in the road, but nothing more than you would expect in this country and this time of year.

GP 4 Seasons seen to get universally great reviews; is the downside to that grippy compound that it cuts easily?

Has anybody else suffered this issue?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

the_mikey | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wet weather, glass and flints is a recipe that will summon the puncture fairy, although I've worn out gatorskins without ever getting punctures, but they have no grip on wet drain covers and cattle grids, so mostly I've compromised by using slightly cheaper grand prix tyres with better grip, and accepting that they'll pick up a puncture or two in their lifetime rather than living in fear and hoping there won't be any punctures with my continental gatorskins.

bike_food | 11 years ago
0 likes

Everyone who has just stated these tyres are great has just placed a curse upon themselves.

I run them on a dry weather only bike and GP 4 seasons on a wet weather bike, always been spot on.

It's worth checking for bits of flint etc embedded in tyre after a ride and pulling out.

That's me cursed too.

jengy | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was just thinking the same thing, had one go today with a 1cm+ cut on the side wall. And not exactly puncture fixing weather at the mo..
Do seem to get more flats than the Lithiums I had on b4. As they are nice to ride I've ordered another, so see how that goes...

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've somehow got a big slash on one of my gators, but it's not through the kevlar underneath so seems to be ok. Have ridden about 400km on it since I noticed it.... not dead yet (famous last words).

S1lver | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had one fail on me after only 80 miles! The bead has completely come out of its housing! As you can see from the picture. This caused the tube to somehow work its way out between the rim and the sidewall causing me to have a blowout. Just before a big decent luckily!

Thankfully Evans Cycles has replaced my order (GP 4 Seasons x2) completely, even the good tire! And I didn't have to send them back  1

keef66 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've been on 25mm GP 4 seasons since I got the bike. Rear tyre finally wore out after 4 winters / 4000 miles and the front (now on the rear) is still going. All my riding is on crappy back roads.

rbx | 11 years ago
0 likes

Haven't had any such problems. I got my first puncture on GP4S only recently after almost 2000 miles. That too was a tiny flint on a very nasty ride on small roads in really bad conditions. I do ride the 25mm version, though.

If you're getting the cuts in similar places, have you had a look if something is rubbing against it?

BerlinG | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm on Conti 4000 gps -- no such issues. Relatively decent roads though.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Contact Continental direct? I run the 4000 tyre on my bike and have not had any problems so far.

Latest Comments