Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dream Bike Dilemma

Okay, so I'm hoping for the advice of someone with a bit more experience at building bikes and selling components online than I have here.

For a while I've been looking at a Wilier Gran Turismo frameset and building it up to my own specs, as an upgrade from my current Trek 1.5, and I finally got a test ride on an Izoard XP a few weekends ago and now I'm pretty much sold on getting the GT. The problem is, apparently Wilier are sold out of the GT frameset in my size in both of the colours I like it in  20

So it seems my options are: to wait for next years model (anyone know when Wilier tend to bring their new bike out?), get the frameset in a colour I don't particularly like (Seems silly to be so hung up on colour but this is a bit of a dream bike for me so it feels like it does matter), or to buy a complete bike with Campag Athena on it, and then strip the parts I don't want and try to sell them.

If I was going with the last option I'd probably end up changing the groupset and wheels and a few other minor parts, and replacing it with SRAM force, and a wheelset I already have. What I'm worrying is that I'll end up majorly out of pocket.

Here's the spec:
http://wilierbikes.co.uk/2013/product.php/63/1/granturismo_athena_11s__2...

Do people think I'd be silly trying to sell the groupset and wheels off the bike and expecting to make enough money back to cover the new groupset and some of my wheels? Alternatively, any other suggestions would be welcomed!!!

(sorry for the essay!)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't really know the answer to why I like it so much. I think its one of the best looking frames I've seen, and its a reputable brand which is kinda important to me. Although I haven't actually managed to ride the frame yet! But I've ridden the Izoard XP, which has more or less the same geometry, and it felt amazing. The problem is I have limited time and transport and no bike shops nearby really, so trying out bikes isn't easy.

I agree with your maths more or less. If I did buy the complete bike I'd be keeping the finishing kit that came off it, so selling the wheels and groupset, I'd be looking at more or less a £2000 frame, which is £400 more than the GT sells for... If anyone wants to suggest a comparable frameset I'm more than happy to listen, but I'm a bit lost trying to start looking myself feeling like I'd "decided"

I guess the other options are to buy the full bike and learn to love the Campy, or to use the Athena to replace the Tiagra on my winter bike... which seems slightly ridiculous

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ok, different question then - why is it your dream frame? Are you particularly fussed about the construction/geometry, or is it that it's a decent quality frame, it fits you, and you think that the colourway you want looks smokin?!

Not having a go at all, that seems like a perfectly good way of choosing a frame to me. However, it does raise the question of how many frames you've looked at. Some of the frames that are a bit more difficult to get hold of look awesome. You checked out Dedaccai for example?

Or to look at it another way, let's say you spend £3k on the complete bike. In fact, let's knock a bit off for a LBS deal, say £200. A quick Google search suggests that Athena seems difficult to obtain standalone, but Chorus is £900, so it would need to significantly undercut that. Say £600, + £300 for the Fulcrum R3 wheels. You've then spent circa £2k on the frame and finishing kit. If you don't need the finishing kit (and you probably won't get that much for it), ask yourself whether you could have a nicer frame for £2k? That's big money - Condor? Deda?

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

That was my plan, problem is it's the frameset that's out of stock. Apparently I can only buy the complete bike.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can't you just buy the frame and fork and build it up yourself?

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

I agree with you about looking further afield, but from what my bike shop are saying, the issue is that ATB, the UK distributor can't get hold of a frame in my size (it probably doesn't help that I need an XXL, so I imagine not that many were made) I might have a dig around to see if I can find something but I don't hold out much hope.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think I'd be tempted to look further afield for the frame - there are a fair few places selling Wilier these days.

In fact, if you know the frameset/size etc, can you source it online? I'm all for supporting the LBS, but they have to meet your needs in order to do that.

There have been ads on here where someone has bought a complete bike only to sell off the bits. There were two sellers who bought Cannondale Supersixes and were both selling SRAM groups, Cosmic Carbones etc. All great kit, but you need to have buyers available with that kind of cash disposable, which most people don't these days.

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers rbx, that's exactly what I'm worried about. It probably won't help that the chainset and brakes on the GT are wilier branded FSA parts and so I won't actually have a complete Athena groupset to sell either.

Upgrading later doesn't really make sense as force and athena are about the same level groupset and I don't really want to go higher, but thanks for the suggestion

rbx | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just a word of caution from my experience : components off a bike can be bloody hard to sell unless you mark them down heavily and sell on ebay/gumtree. I haven't found an lbs till date who'd buy them, or even do an exchange deal. Maybe one of the smaller ones would do that if you buy the bike from them but I'm yet to meet any around London (tried 4 independent apart from Evans and cycle surgery).

On ebay and gumtree, probably due to presence of components from stolen bikes), the markdown can be huge.

Converting my brand new bike from compact to triple cost me almost £200 and I still have the front mech and chain ring unsold. They were all fsa and shimano 105 components.

If you can afford it, I'd say use the existing components and then upgrade a while later, relegating these to winter/backup service.

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the reply Chris, I have spoken to my LBS about them changing the groupset for me, but they don't seem up for it. Apparently it's "not cost effective" for them. I'm more than happy to get the parts myself and have the skills and tools I'd need to fit them, so that's not an issue. My worry is being left with a Campy groupset I don't need and I'm not able to sell, but I guess that'd be a risk I'd have to take. (I do kind of agree with you about Campag on an Italian bike but I just can't get on with the thumb shifters!) But I should be able to sell a brand new, full groupset fairly easily right?

@Bikeboy76, somehow they've run out of both the Matt Black and Dark, only the red and white version available as a frameset in my size, and it just doesn't do it for me for some reason!

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

How can they have run out of Black? Or Silver? Fess up, you are after apple green you hipster you.

Chris | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, Wilier road bikes start being released towards the end of the year so you'd be waiting till Sept/Oct for the next year's model. You can't possibly wait that long!
Colour is very important. You've got to love it every time you look at it, so definitely get the complete bike and take it from there.
You will of course be out of pocket if you change loads of bits straight away. Personally I'd keep the lovely Athena 11 speed on my nice Italian road bike, but if you must replace it with SRAM then a decent LBS might be prepared to do the component swap for you, assuming you buy the bike from them, at a very minimal cost. Some places will simply charge you for any difference in price between the components you're replacing, so that's worth investigating. If you already have some wheels you could maybe flog the R3's that come with the bike and recoup that cost with a bit of luck.
Or, why not keep it Campy like a sweet Italian road bike should be?

Latest Comments