Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Video Camera

Since I've been commuting I've had a couple of near misses mostly of the 'sorry mate I didn't see you' type; however tonight I was deliberatley forced into the kerb and nearly had a bad accident. By a London bus driver! I have complained to TfL but of course it's my word against his and nothing will happen. I tmade me think I would like a cheap video camera to attach to my bike. It doesn't have to be a top quality HD type but one that will record instances like this so I can back up any complaint I make. Has anybody out there any experience of using any?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

ricky1980 | 11 years ago
0 likes

mate try this

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2012/7/15/xdreme-camera-review.html

they are about the same quality as the contours but half the price. £90 delivered.

MT63 replied to ricky1980 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that; I just had a look at this and the review and I might just go for it!

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ah, yeah I'd assumed it was the gopro.

You can get the GoPro 3 for £199, and it's a much better camera than the 2.

As for your Bullet - no experience with that at all, sorry! All I know is that in my industry, the GoPro is pretty much ubiquitous for all action cams.

PJ McNally | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks bashthebox - do you mean this one?

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/gopro-action-camera

If so - that's not the one i ordered!

Mine will be the Bullet HD - which is no longer showing on the site.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh I saw that up on Sport Pursuit - it's not a good deal at all. It's the previous model, the GoPro 2, for the same price as you can get the 3 online. Send it back, toot sweet!

PJ McNally | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've just given in and bought the camera that's on SportPursuit at the moment - not cheap, but apparently you get what you pay for and it's a good deal.

The final straw (for me) was yet another dangerous overtake - while out riding with my wife and child no less, a driver revved, swung in close to us, the passenger jeered through the window and OPENED AND WAVED HIS DOOR at us - I'd call this assault, but with no camera evidence, what am I to do?

Most of the successful cameras on bikes - those that actually get good videos onto Youtube and to the Police - seem to be a notch above the cheapo ebay china knock-offs.

I did try an Oregon Scientific a year ago - ATC2K I think - but it was poor quality video, appallingly "wobbly" due to the poor video sensors. I got rid of it.

I know the Cycling Silk used to swear by the Veho Muvi though. I've never tried it, but it's very small and self-contained. Not waterproof though, and has a built-in battery. Millions of inferior knock-offs on ebay which are (apparently) no good - they fail to record properly, buttons break easily etc. You can tell them apart as the real thing has slider switches (and costs more), while the fakes just have buttons.

Good luck.

Latest Comments