Home

At the end of 2010 I turn 50 ....  20

However, to celebrate that event/go into denial that it is happening (delete as applicable), I am planning to do a few cycle challenges throughout 2010. I have already decided that one will be to attempt a 25mile TT in 1hr 15mins (20mph av), and I plan to do all three stages of the Tour of Wessex Sportive (I have only ever done one). Another might be to climb Ventoux all three ways in one day.

I plan to use the opportunity to raise funds for the Motor Neurone Disease Association and a charity associated with dementia (the illnesses that afflicted my father and mother).

This post is really just to ask if anyone has any ideas for challenges. I don't plan to give up my day job so there will be no round the world trips but any other ideas would be much appreciated!

And of course I will keep people informed of my progress!

9 comments

TheHatter [770 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

Fair play to you - I'm wincing at the thought of them being my targets for when I hit 40

Tony Farrelly [2869 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

The Paris Roubaix sportive is on in 2010 - that's a challenge and you can do the whole thing - there and back in a long weekend.

Definitely keep us up to date with how you are getting on.

dave atkinson [6250 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

The Raid Pyrénéen is the one I really want to do. 710km and 18 cols in five days. http://www.bikepyrenees.com/hi/routes/raid_pyreneen.htm

maybe when I'm 40... not long now  1

Jon Burrage [998 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

The raid looks spectacular, wow. Thats my 30th sorted!...what I just typed scares me.

CotterPin [63 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

Tony - the Paris-Roubaix Sportive was one I was thinking of. I have done the Tour of Flanders sportive (140km) a couple of times in very bad and in good weather so I quite fancy myself being a bit of a hard man of the cobbles  1 Do you have an idea of the date - I think it is June, later than the pro-race.

The raid looks pretty impressive, too, Dave. If I can fit it in!

Tony Farrelly [2869 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

I did it last year and it certainly was a challenge - nice food at the feed stations though.

Here's a link to some details on the next one, been talking about giving it another go myself.

http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails.aspx?eventid=191

0 likes

Thanks. I have found the date of the Paris Roubaix sportive - 6th June:

(http://asso.nordnet.fr/vcrcyclotourisme/Site%20web/Paris_Roubaix_Cyclo/P...)

Which is likely to be a week after the Tour of Wessex. That'll be quite a challenge in itself!

Blackhound [442 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

I hit 50 in January this year and did the Flanders sportif in early April. I can recomend this (and watch the pro's the following day) but I found the cobbles tough going - harder than they look on tv. The Paris - Roubaix cobbles are supposed to be harder still.....

If Wessex is the main plan I would give P-R sportive a miss as a bit close - takes longer to recover at our age!

A bit of time in the Alps doing the big mountains is great. Easy to do on your own/small group or using one of the many tour companies

0 likes

Thanks for that, Blackhound. Food for thought. I will let you know my plans when they are better formed. A couple of other ideas I have had include some track riding and maybe one road race!!!???