Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Turning 50 - challenges to hold off the ageing process?

At the end of 2010 I turn 50 ....  20

However, to celebrate that event/go into denial that it is happening (delete as applicable), I am planning to do a few cycle challenges throughout 2010. I have already decided that one will be to attempt a 25mile TT in 1hr 15mins (20mph av), and I plan to do all three stages of the Tour of Wessex Sportive (I have only ever done one). Another might be to climb Ventoux all three ways in one day.

I plan to use the opportunity to raise funds for the Motor Neurone Disease Association and a charity associated with dementia (the illnesses that afflicted my father and mother).

This post is really just to ask if anyone has any ideas for challenges. I don't plan to give up my day job so there will be no round the world trips but any other ideas would be much appreciated!

And of course I will keep people informed of my progress!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

CotterPin | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that, Blackhound. Food for thought. I will let you know my plans when they are better formed. A couple of other ideas I have had include some track riding and maybe one road race!!!???

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

I hit 50 in January this year and did the Flanders sportif in early April. I can recomend this (and watch the pro's the following day) but I found the cobbles tough going - harder than they look on tv. The Paris - Roubaix cobbles are supposed to be harder still.....

If Wessex is the main plan I would give P-R sportive a miss as a bit close - takes longer to recover at our age!

A bit of time in the Alps doing the big mountains is great. Easy to do on your own/small group or using one of the many tour companies

CotterPin | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I have found the date of the Paris Roubaix sportive - 6th June:

(http://asso.nordnet.fr/vcrcyclotourisme/Site%20web/Paris_Roubaix_Cyclo/P...)

Which is likely to be a week after the Tour of Wessex. That'll be quite a challenge in itself!

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

I did it last year and it certainly was a challenge - nice food at the feed stations though.

Here's a link to some details on the next one, been talking about giving it another go myself.

http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails.aspx?eventid=191

CotterPin | 14 years ago
0 likes

Tony - the Paris-Roubaix Sportive was one I was thinking of. I have done the Tour of Flanders sportive (140km) a couple of times in very bad and in good weather so I quite fancy myself being a bit of a hard man of the cobbles  1 Do you have an idea of the date - I think it is June, later than the pro-race.

The raid looks pretty impressive, too, Dave. If I can fit it in!

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

The raid looks spectacular, wow. Thats my 30th sorted!...what I just typed scares me.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

The Raid Pyrénéen is the one I really want to do. 710km and 18 cols in five days. http://www.bikepyrenees.com/hi/routes/raid_pyreneen.htm

maybe when I'm 40... not long now  1

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

The Paris Roubaix sportive is on in 2010 - that's a challenge and you can do the whole thing - there and back in a long weekend.

Definitely keep us up to date with how you are getting on.

TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Fair play to you - I'm wincing at the thought of them being my targets for when I hit 40

Latest Comments