Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib Shorts or normal shorts???

So, bibs or normal shorts? Or both? I got a few pairs of normal shorts but there starting to go transparent  3 so could probably do with some new 'uns! There for racing on the road and training (budget £70)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes

Being longer in body than leg I've found bibs to be inconvenient and uncomfortable at times, but waist shorts do tend to work their way south.

Looking at photos of Eddy Merckx I saw the ideal compromise, Eddy is shown in his hotel room wearing waist shorts with clip on braces attached.

All that is now needed is for the clothing manufacturers to introduce a range of adjustable cycling specific braces and this debate is over  16

Sadly Biggins replied to Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:

All that is now needed is for the clothing manufacturers to introduce a range of adjustable cycling specific braces and this debate is over  16

They could be called "Rock on Tommy", although this reference might be lost on younger viewers.

Kapelmuur replied to Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes
Sadly Biggins wrote:
Crosshouses wrote:

They could be called "Rock on Tommy", although this reference might be lost on younger viewers.

I saw them at a club about 30 years ago, funniest live act I've ever seen - hard to believe if you've only seen their abysmal TV shows.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I would have to agree, bashthebox. I went in the new Bike Rooms shop on Deansgate, and there is a massive printed image of that girl on the back wall. It's a striking image, and she's a cracking looker, but I really don't think it would encourage real women to leave out the makeup, grab their kit and work up an unglamourous sweat on a bike.

(Off-topic, I've no idea if anyone has actually bought anything in there, it looks like the most expensive way in town to get on a bike)

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think I'd rather 'fat wrestler' jokes than the current crop of Borat Mankini jokes in my house!

Definitely bibs, but then (sorry, no easy way to say this) I'm not sure how bibs circumnavigate the cleavage on a female?

ur_mum replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Definitely bibs, but then (sorry, no easy way to say this) I'm not sure how bibs circumnavigate the cleavage on a female?

Thermal underneath???  13

notfastenough replied to ur_mum | 11 years ago
0 likes
King of the Mountains wrote:
notfastenough wrote:

Thermal underneath???  13

Your emoticon suggests I've offended you, for which I apologise - that was certainly not my intention. What I'm trying to say is that my bibs run up my torso such that I'm unsure how comfortable such clothing could be if I were female. Obviously a base layer/underwear can be used, but that really wasn't my point. Never mind.

Incidentally, sometimes cycling clothing does merit slightly more sensitive discussions - if you disagree just look for some of the threads on seat pads etc. Genuinely no offence meant, but neither is there any point avoiding the question, otherwise we may as well all buy any old shite and not bother sharing experiences of them.

ur_mum replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Your emoticon suggests I've offended you, for which I apologise - that was certainly not my intention. What I'm trying to say is that my bibs run up my torso such that I'm unsure how comfortable such clothing could be if I were female. Obviously a base layer/underwear can be used, but that really wasn't my point. Never mind.

No offence taken, the emoticon was supposed to be a sort of, 'this is a suggestion, has anytone tried it' than a 'how dare you say that i'm so offended'  1 Maybe a jersey on top would be a better idea though???

Edgeley | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had been worrying that I was the only person whose wife started making fat wrestler comments whenever he got ready for a ride. Phew. I am in good company.

andycoventry | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bibs without a shadow of a doubt - I rode for a year in 'normal' shorts and not having the elasticated waist digging in is a god-send. Would never go back to shorts.

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

BTW bibs without a doubt!

StuayEd | 11 years ago
0 likes

Definitely bibs!

My first tentative venture into Lycra, like most, was a pair of normal cycling shorts. Eventually I bought a pair of bib shorts deciding that if the pro's wear them exclusively, there must be a reason!

Well the difference in comfort not having that elasticated waist was a revelation and I've never looked back!

For good value check out btwin at decathlon, mine have lasted a couple of seasons so far!

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, DHB do produce women's kit. After all the mockery I got from Mrs Biggins, she has got the bug herself and has got some DHB Vaeon longs which she says are very comfortable. There should be lots of alternatives too. Have a look at (for example) Ribble, Planet X, Wiggle, Sport Pursuit etc

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Don't DHB do womens' stuff?

I swear by my Assos Mille bib shorts, by the way. I know their female advertising is terrible, but their kit is great. Expensive, but there's a factory outlet store online that's good for bargains.

Squiggle replied to bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

I swear by my Assos Mille bib shorts, by the way. I know their female advertising is terrible...

WHAT??? That's the reason I cycle, I know that one day I'll run into Assos Girl. Then we'll spend a sordid summer smashing Faberge Eggs together while Mr Assos is busy standing over his bike on a jetty, glaring at his riding chums.  4

bashthebox replied to Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes
Squiggle wrote:
bashthebox wrote:

I swear by my Assos Mille bib shorts, by the way. I know their female advertising is terrible...

WHAT??? That's the reason I cycle, I know that one day I'll run into Assos Girl. Then we'll spend a sordid summer smashing Faberge Eggs together while Mr Assos is busy standing over his bike on a jetty, glaring at his riding chums.  4

That's my point. Assos's marketing of it's female range is designed, inexplicably, to appeal to men. You only have to look at the editorial pics for their new jerseys (PVC trousers, high heels, braless, absolutely nothing to do with cycling) to realise that. It's like an FHM photoshoot. Even the product pics for their female bibs are daft - hands barely covering naked boobs.
Now I think the Assos model is incredibly attractive, don't get me wrong, but why is it that the pictures of their female gear, to me, is more appealing than their men's range? Why is their female range being targeted at me? This makes no sense and perpetuates the image of a one sided sport, where men are men and women are podium girls.

ur_mum | 11 years ago
0 likes

Probably should of said this before (and I know the name doesn't suggest it) but I'm a woman!  32 (not very subtle, but hey ho)! And am having trouble finding woman's bib shorts! Any suggestions???

KirinChris | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bib shorts, no question.

I suspect many of the waist shorts wearers haven't spent much time cycling behind others of their persuasion.

Too often they display a gap between jersey and shorts - I've had some very distressing times looking at the top of people's hairy cracks, or trying not to.  13

Bib shorts keep the lower back sensibly under lycra.

stepho | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bib's absolutely.

My wife despises them but i would never wear anything else.

bike_food | 11 years ago
0 likes

Waist shorts for me.
Tried bibs, didn't get on with them.
Don't suffer any discomfort with waist shorts.

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bibs for me. Mrs Biggins always starts singing "I want to break free" by Queen when I put them on, although I remind her that the first time I wore them she asked whether you wear anything else with bibshorts. I said that you'd generally wear a jersey too  4 .

Could be worse I suppose. My friend's wife thinks he looks like Big Daddy with his bibs on  13

SevenHills replied to Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes
Sadly Biggins wrote:

Could be worse I suppose. My friend's wife thinks he looks like Big Daddy with his bibs on  13

My wife thinks i look like Mick McManus! I don't even have the dodgy looking dyed hair either  20

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

Whatever you are more comfortable in is the best option, shorts personally. Decent padding and fit is higher up on my choice list.

PJ McNally | 11 years ago
0 likes

bib shorts are normal shorts. At least where cycling is concerned.

Waist-high shorts dig in just where you don't need it, and are totally unsuited to riding in comfort. Honestly, your waist is constantly twisting and flexing as you ride - do you really want an elastic band around it?

(I have a few pairs of each, but prefer bibs).

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bib, bibs, bibs. Even a small belly is kept in order.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd say that the cut and the comfort of the pad-bum interface are more important than bib vs waist.

Some people swear by bibs. I have a pair of Shutt VR Club bibs. While the absence of elastic around the waist is nice it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Try Shutt, Lusso or dhb for value (the first two are made in the UK).

sm replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

I'd say that the cut and the comfort of the pad-bum interface are more important than bib vs waist.

+1
pad-bum-nether regions

sm | 11 years ago
0 likes

Shorts all the way. I've cycled hundreds and hundreds of miles and never had a pair not stay in place as if often the comment when people talk about the magical staying power of bib shorts. Maybe I'm the exception rather than the rule, just like my momma told me. Just make sure there's some nice padding down there!

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bib shorts all the way. You'll get change out of your budget with a pair of dhb aeron pros which are light, comfortable and very well reviewed everywhere. I have four pairs and have never thought about trying anything more expensive.

localsurfer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Vermarc stuff on planet-x is very good and cheap at the mo.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/clothing/vermarc

Pages

Latest Comments