Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which rims??

Have a budget for a new wheelset for racing and also training daily (replacing the wheels which came with my CAAD 8 TIA which have been thoroughly destroyed my north london's best potholes  2 ) , around £250 but could push up to £300. Thinking of building a set with 105 or ultegra hubs but I'm not too sure about the rims - any ideas?

OR.. scrap the building and get fulcrum racing 5's or fulcrum quattro's???

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

issacforce | 11 years ago
0 likes

mavic cxp 33 hanbuilt wheels spoke count 36 rear 32 front about £220 from lbs bomb proof

Iwein Dekoninck | 11 years ago
0 likes

I recently bought a pair of Shimano RS80s from Planet X bikes for £319 for my CAAD 10. Weigh a smidge over 1500 grams. Very happy with them.

racingcondor | 11 years ago
0 likes

While I love my Open Pro's for training wheels I think there are better options for a raceworthy set.

Ambrosio Excellight are very nice indeed but if you're willing to import then there is plenty of choice and options for lower spoke counts (if that's an option at your weight to pothole ratio).

Kinlin 270
Pacenti SL23
Velocity A23

Or the slightly heavy but very tough bikehubstore C472.

If you're willing to sacrifice a little wet weather durability then I'd also look at Novatech hubs which are both cheaper and lighter than the Shimano and the Zenith's and come with more drilling options.

james mckay | 11 years ago
0 likes

now then should I save £50 and make em myself?  39 ...
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPAMEXCEL/ambrosio_excellence_tqb_st...

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

If youmwant factory wheels, go for Campagnolo Zonda. Very quick and make a lovely hum on the tarmac.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have handbuilts made of Shimano 105 and Mavic Open Pro rims and Ambrosio Zenith hubs and Evolution rims, I'm very happy with both sets. Each combination has been bullet proof with Sapim spokes. The Ambrosio hub is amazingly quiet.

_SiD_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

Second the Ambrosio rims. Zenith hubs good as well - fully serviceable.

james mckay | 11 years ago
0 likes

cheers, thanks for that, I think I'll do some rewarding DIY then and do the handbuild  4 and I'll be sure to check out those miche hubs!

matt1705 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Handbuilt wheels will be a lot easier to repair if they are trashed by any potholes. In terms of rims, for your budget, I'd say best bet was either Mavic Open Pro or Ambrosio Excellight/Excellence, the Open Pro are probably more readily available and cheaper than the Excellights (which are more comparable), so they're probably your best bet.
Also, on the hubs, have you considered Miche Primato hubs? they're alot more serviceable due to sealed bearings and are in most cases slightly cheaper than your Shimano equivalents.

Latest Comments