Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Nice little bonus idea?

Just a thought - how about at the end of a competition (or perhaps at the end of the overall) any points you haven't spent are added to your score? It should have a minimal impact as you would still need to have a complete team but is a nice tiebreaker and a little reward for buying economically.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Enrique, I'm pretty sure thats how it was going to work last year for the big prizes, had there been a draw.

JAndrewHill - Bonus points should go to EVERYONE, not in my regional league + me, so I can win something  19

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

How about players lose -1pt if a rider in their squad Does not start a stage, does not finish or gets disqualified (eg. for finishing outside the time limit).
(The DNS should not count for a one day race or first day of a stage race..)

And a +10pt for anyone from the northwest for coming from the north west ;0)

enrique replied to JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:

How about players lose 1 pt if a rider in their squad does not start a stage [or finishes] outside the time limit...

Well, if there were any good reason to lose a point, I'd pick the ones above.... But I'll say this, I always wanted to have a good reason to be awarded extra transfers, and well, still think in terms of a previous thought - awarding the lowest 5 ranked teams, or another number, an extra transfer at the end of a competition.... something small and irrelevant to keep people in the game long after their chances of winning are gone... Just thinking...

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

An old idea I had was selling unused transfers at the end of a race for the cost of an additional transfers, 10 points.

But to be honest the game is about picking the best riders each day, encouraging lazy easy picks (like the old Lanterne Rouge points for last on GC) isn't part of how the game works.

enrique replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

An old idea I had was selling unused transfers at the end of a race for the cost of an additional transfers, 10 points...

Well, changing the subject, I wouldn't sell the transfers, but (!), I've always wanted to suggest that they be used as a tie-breaker.

The game rules say:

In the event of a tie, the following criteria, where applicable, will be used to determine the winner:

• Highest single stage score posted within the competition
•Most scoring riders on the stage
•Highest scoring individual rider on the stage
•Coin toss

I would suggest two tie-breakers go before the current ones.

My suggestions, which would take place BEFORE any of the above, would be:

1. Lowest budget on the stage. Meaning the team owner would be rewarded for getting the highest point total on the stage with the least use of the more expensive riders.

2. Most transfers left. Meaning the team owner would be rewarded for planning out well and using the least amount of transfers to get the highest score.

Just thinking out loud here.  1

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

NO again.

Why would you want rewarded even more for just picking an easy choice.

We'd have people filling their teams with GC guys at the end of the tour, NOT what the game is about....

sm replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ah, I see your point. I only play as a purist so such a tactic would not be possible.

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well, everyone starts with a pot of money/points, the game is how you spend that, so no points for spending less than you have available.

Hang on. You are Arsene Wenger and I claim my five pounds...

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

NO.......  19

That makes no sense to me at all. You are trying to pick the best team you can to make the most points. Not pick a cheap team just to get bonus points.

I could pick a team of riders for 27 points, knowing I would get 123 every time  19

msw replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well yes, but you would get 123 per competition, not per stage - plus whatever your team of 3pt domestiques earned of course - I had half-conceived it as applying at each point where unlimited transfers are available. Never mind though - clearly not a great idea after all, I will have to form my own breakaway league of low-scoring misers.

enrique replied to msw | 11 years ago
0 likes
msw wrote:

Well... clearly not a great idea after all, I will have to form my own breakaway league of low-scoring misers.

Actually, I wouldn't mind joining a league where the object would be to get the lowest points possible in a competition... Call it Reverse Fantasy Cycling.. and, without picking "grayed out" riders, see if you can make it through a whole competition without scoring a single point! That'd be fun!  1

ray silvester replied to enrique | 11 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
msw wrote:

Well... clearly not a great idea after all, I will have to form my own breakaway league of low-scoring misers.

Actually, I wouldn't mind joining a league where the object would be to get the lowest points possible in a competition... Call it Reverse Fantasy Cycling.. and, without picking "grayed out" riders, see if you can make it through a whole competition without scoring a single point! That'd be fun!  1

Steady on enrique.....GKam's already trying that  3

sm replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

How about bonus points if your rider is in the top 20 GC positions at the end of a tour? At the moment the points are skewed towards stage winners rather than picking the overall GC at the end of the competition. Having the winner at the end of the tour is surely more valuable than winning a stage or leading the GC overnight?

Latest Comments