Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Listening to music whilst out on a ride

I like to listen to music when I'm out on my own...
Is it the done thing?....is it even legal?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

64 comments

700c replied to davidw07 | 11 years ago
0 likes
davidw07 wrote:

When riding (IMHO) your ears are as important as your eyes and I certainly wouldn't advocate riding with both eyes shut - or even one come to that.

Think that's overstating it a bit! I imagine you cycle at night, when your vision is severely reduced? Listening to music is a personal choice of course, but it doesn't have to render you completely deaf, it has to be used wisely i.e not in heavy traffic and actually is quite motivational when riding solo.

IME perfectly safe to listen to music as long a conditions are right. Never been hit by a car in 15 years of riding with headphones..

Frantically searching for some wood to touch..  4

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't personally but it is not illegal just frowned upon by some, i don't care either way.

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 andy's comments - I too use only the left ear when
out on my own. tend not to use the ipod when in a group
though !

andycoventry | 11 years ago
0 likes

I do too, but only in one ear (left closest to the kerb) and not too loud. I have no problems hearing what is around me.

I also use cyclemeter on my iphone which I have set up to give notifications about distance - its useful to know how far you have cycled, its a good tool to keep going.

I don't see why listening to music would be illegal in itself, I suppose if you had an accident 'without due care and attention' might stick I suppose.

Pages

Latest Comments