Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Milan - San Remo

Can I just put a dampener on things by saying that the forecast for Lombardy and Liguria on Sunday is heavy rain.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

160 comments

Alan Tullett replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Stanadrd

Sagan
Cancellara
Pozzato
Nibali
Santambrogio
Hushovd
Kiryenka
Jerome
Offredo

Purist

Sagan
Cancellara
Gilbert
Bardet
Geschke
Ponzi
Bandiera
Stannard
Offredo

Our standard teams are very similar:
I've got

Sagan
Nibali
Gilbert
Pozzato
Florencio
Santambrogio
Bodnar
Offredo
Songezo Jim

Purist is a bit of an experiment with none of the favourites, could do well if there is a crash or mechanicals of a few of the top names, and will keep me interested with so many riders in the mix.

John Degenkolb (ARG)
Geraint Thomas (SKY)
Gerald Ciolek (MTQ)
Luca Paolini (KAT)
Michal Kwiatkowski (OPQ)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Thor Hushovd (BMC)
Xavier Florencio (KAT)
Danilo Hondo (RSN)

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeh i did a similar thing with my purist team changed it up from my standard but couldn't drop Sagan, so hoping at least 1 of my teams does well.

Benway | 11 years ago
0 likes

Almost zero thought went in to this. And the purist looks seriously left field.

STD:

Sagan
Cancellara
Thomas
Moser
Hushovd
Kiryienka
Offredo
Schar
Nordhaug

PURE:

EBH
Viviani
Bozic
Haussler
Stannard
Tjallingi
Oss
Flecha
Terpstra

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

This is going to turn into a MESS. No-one will go in the break, because they are just going to get stopped at 117km to be put on buses for 50km....

A few retirements already

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The race will re-start in Arenzano in two hours: 137km from San Remo. Gap between six leaders and bunch is now at 9:15. 10km to Ovada. #msr

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well my standard team has already scored 10  19

Peter Sagan
Fabian Cancellara
Geraint Thomas
Tom Boonen
Juan Antonio Flecha
Vincent Jerome
Dominik Klemme
Pablo Lastras
Maarten Tjallingii

My Purist should do not to bad either

Peter Sagan
Vicenzo Nibali
Philippe Gilbert
Tom Boonen
Marcel Sieberg
Oscar Gatto
Jonas Aaen Jorgensen
Yoann Offredo
Grega Bole

archieboy | 11 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Well my standard team has already scored 10  19

Peter Sagan
Fabian Cancellara
Geraint Thomas
Tom Boonen
Juan Antonio Flecha
Vincent Jerome
Dominik Klemme
Pablo Lastras
Maarten Tjallingii

My Purist should do not to bad either

If Lastras finishes?

Peter Sagan
Vicenzo Nibali
Philippe Gilbert
Tom Boonen
Marcel Sieberg
Oscar Gatto
Jonas Aaen Jorgensen
Yoann Offredo
Grega Bole

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ovada, km 117, the cyclists will be taken up by coach and across the highway, moved up to Arenzano, km 160, where it will be made again at 14.30 the gaps detected before Turchino. At that point they will be 137.2 kilometers to the finish line on the waterfront Italo Calvino. (Google translate with one change).

Just in time for Eurosport coverage we hope. Is this going to help the sprinters? I haven't got Cav this year as do few other teams. This will surely help him and Greipel or will the cold favour other riders?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

a mentally tough MSR this year due to weather......Race will re-start at 15:00 and skip Le Manie

TERatcliffe26 replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

a mentally tough MSR this year due to weather......Race will re-start at 15:00 and skip Le Manie

My teams are screwed  39 Cav to win?

Actually my tip is Pozzato now

simon F replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Dropping Le Manie should help my sprint-y purist team. Could be less good for my standard though. 85km to pull back 7'10" - not much time to cruise along there then.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm not going to say this lightly, but I think there should be NO scoring today.

The goal posts have been moved and its screwed the race right up.

simon F replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I'm not going to say this lightly, but I think there should be NO scoring today.

The goal posts have been moved and its screwed the race right up.

Don't agree. It's cycling. Weird shit happens - you just have to live with it, unless they cancel the rest of the race.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

They have taken out nearly 100km now with some of the major parts of the race being cut. Its totally turned the race upside down....

NO SCORES

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Scoring should go ahead regardless.

Its got to be a hard man today.

And they don't come much harder than Cancellara.

0 likes

My line is its luck of the draw, and also because Le maine has been missed out still doesn't mean it will be a sprint and whoever will win will win. Scoring should go ahead

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Organisers have cut Le Maine, and there are now 85K left to race at #msr for a race distance of 202K (down from 298K).

Alan Tullett replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

My teams are screwed  39 Cav to win?

Actually my tip is Pozzato now

I hope so. He was my second pick after Sagan. Having got burnt in Roma Maxima by not having him I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.

JAndrewHill replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't agree GKam. Its the luck of the draw....if there is a finish and a winner than so be it....we can't expect sunshine every day. . .
and my standard team has no sprinters and no one in the break, so i am not going to benefit from scoring as usual.

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cipressa is going to be very important now, which it hasn't been recently. Sprinters in with a better chance but the cold and rain don't suit them that much! The favourites are still the favourites, but Cav and Greipel could easily top ten. Degenkolb could do well I hope. If a race isn't cancelled scoring must go ahead. I would have thought Gkam84 would be happy; he's got someone in the break and maybe the unthinkable will happen and the break will stay out.

Lost faith in t... | 11 years ago
0 likes

keep the scores its a fun game and its a bit petty to make it a zero score stage when technically the race is still running and has a winner.

its unfortunate and im sure we are all going to loose points in it but the end of the day its fun.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Boonen abandons

The have cut the heart out and made it like two stages now.

SHITE race now and I think 0 points all round is the fairest way. If I had thought this would happen, make picks would have been totally different

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Terpstra, Boonen & Vandenbergh all out for OmegaPharma

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have to agree, we should still score it, this was unpredictable and to be fair nobody really should gain an advantage unless they specifically picked a team hoping for half the stage to be snowed off. If they did that then fair play to them, that's a hell of a risk to take. If half the field crash we'd score it, this stuff happens.

No one can say how the race will play out, the climbers and strong men will go hell for leather up any climb to drop the sprinters so anything could happen.

rcorbin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Zero points is utterly ridiculous! It's a race, if half the peloton woke up this morning and DNS because they didn't fancy it, you wouldn't zero the scores.
Plus with the recent late changes to stages, the game would lose a lot of credibility.

0 likes

Still 130km to race not 85km

I don't think this race has changed at all, because the pace will be higher now

Scores should stand, a race is a race, if it starts and it finishes, its tough what happens between those two points.
When you pick a team you are not picking a guarantee and that has not changed in anyway. What you thought may happen may have changed, but what you thought may happen may not have happened anyway

Philip Unwin | 11 years ago
0 likes

I sent a message at 7.37 this morning about the heavy snow. I ignored my own message and assumed it would not be a sprint finish. If it is a sprint finish we've all been burned. Let's live with it.  22

ray silvester replied to rcorbin | 11 years ago
0 likes
rcorbin wrote:

Zero points is utterly ridiculous! It's a race, if half the peloton woke up this morning and DNS because they didn't fancy it, you wouldn't zero the scores.
Plus with the recent late changes to stages, the game would lose a lot of credibility.

Absolutely right!!

Try aking the bookies for your money back if you backed Boonen?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You pick your team based on the route given and the startlist.

You don't pick it on 2/3 of a course. Taking out nearly 100km had totally changed the route and which riders should be picked.

Pages

Latest Comments