Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tiernan Locke quits Paris - Nice

Does anyone know why JTL quit the race? I cant find any articles. I had big hopes for him this year, I thought he could be a potential GT contender. Does anyone think he might not be able to cut it at the highest level?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I checked on Sky's site, nothing listed for next month, just till the end of March

Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes

Looking ahead, will Sky let JTL defend his Tour of Britain title?

Gkam84 replied to Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:

Looking ahead, will Sky let JTL defend his Tour of Britain title?

I would hope so, to be honest, its just a "turn up and keep sponsors happy" race for sky, go along, do the corporate thing, get in a break, win a stage here and there and get other British teams some race coverage  3

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

He has said a few times that Ardennes is his main early season goal, and that of those races Amstel suits him better than say LBL (he also rode much of Amstel in World Champs of course). Also that he may ride Vuelta, though far too early to say for sure.

Talking of which, Gkam - gonna be a while until any team line-ups go up on race website (though Sky are usually pretty good at announcing line-ups in advance on their site).

Good spot on the teams listed though, I like that  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I just went to look up see if he was racing Amstel, don't know yet.

Little things amused little minds though....go here

http://www.amstel.nl/evenementen/amstelgoldrace/wedstrijd/teams

Then scroll down, look at the teams....score back and switch to the other language version....look at the teams again  19

NeilG83 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think we will only know if JTL can cut at World Tour Level after the Ardennes classics; which should suit him and he may be a protected rider as Sky have few other options for those races.

As for him being a Grand Tour contender he has said himself that he is unlikely ever to do well in one due to the time trials and long mountain passes.

Alan Tullett replied to NeilG83 | 11 years ago
0 likes
NeilG83 wrote:

I think we will only know if JTL can cut at World Tour Level after the Ardennes classics; which should suit him and he may be a protected rider as Sky have few other options for those races.

As for him being a Grand Tour contender he has said himself that he is unlikely ever to do well in one due to the time trials and long mountain passes.

I agree. Amstel Gold is probably the best race for him as it isn't as highly regarded as some of the others. I think GT and EBH will be the main classics riders for Sky and GT has a good chance of achieving something.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am not saying don't have an opinion, just from the way you are saying that JTL doesn't seem to have what it takes/has lost what it takes to be at the highest level.

We are only a few races in to the season, how many has JTL been in?

Lets just look at the World Tour, Paris Nice was his first WT race with Sky and he got ill....

Then the lower ranked races.....

163rd at Palma while working for Swift who finished 3rd

DNF at Campos, again working for Swift (10th)

85th at Serra De Tramuntana, working for others Henao 2nd, Swift 5th (5 in the top 20) Wiggo finished just ahead

Unsure of his final placing for Alcudia, again working for Uran and Henao who came 9th and 10th

51st at the Algarve while working for Uran and Henao

SO, as you seen, he's been a DS all season, his next race, if he's well again is the Criterium International 23rd March, he'll be a DS again....

Until he's given a chance, he can't really prove himself.

He had a great season in 2012, but if you look at the team he was in, he was the clear top man and given the leaders role everywhere he races. There is a pecking order in Sky, as shown with Froome and Wiggo. He will have to wait his turn.

mclark_bizmanagement replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I am not saying don't have an opinion, just from the way you are saying that JTL doesn't seem to have what it takes/has lost what it takes to be at the highest level.

We are only a few races in to the season, how many has JTL been in?

Lets just look at the World Tour, Paris Nice was his first WT race with Sky and he got ill....

Then the lower ranked races.....

163rd at Palma while working for Swift who finished 3rd

DNF at Campos, again working for Swift (10th)

85th at Serra De Tramuntana, working for others Henao 2nd, Swift 5th (5 in the top 20) Wiggo finished just ahead

Unsure of his final placing for Alcudia, again working for Uran and Henao who came 9th and 10th

51st at the Algarve while working for Uran and Henao

SO, as you seen, he's been a DS all season, his next race, if he's well again is the Criterium International 23rd March, he'll be a DS again....

Until he's given a chance, he can't really prove himself.

He had a great season in 2012, but if you look at the team he was in, he was the clear top man and given the leaders role everywhere he races. There is a pecking order in Sky, as shown with Froome and Wiggo. He will have to wait his turn.

I agree with you. JTL needs time, he has hardly been in the top flight for very long after a long break. He has got talent and I think Sky is a good team for him to build up his career with, all be it him being slightly older than the average newbie rider.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

WOW, it seems that Chiv30 does not understand that cycling is a TEAM sport, you do not go out every day and only think about yourself.

You get given objectives for the stage/race/month/season.....etc by your TEAM and you stick to them as much as possible.

From the races that JTL has been with Sky, he's not been a leader, nor been given free reign to go and attack yet.

Look at Porte last year. He was doing all the work for Wiggo at the TdF. He was given a chance in the Paris Nice and took it, winning the GC and two stage. JTL was there as support for Porte. Until getting sick, he was doing a great job early doors in the stages of driving the peleton on.

You remember EBH in the TdF last year? Not much....thats because he gave his all in the early part of the stages to drive the race on and keep Wiggo in with a chance of winning the GC. By the time the race went live, most stages, EBH was blown and out the back.....

chiv30 replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

WOW, it seems that Chiv30 does not understand that cycling is a TEAM sport, you do not go out every day and only think about yourself.

You get given objectives for the stage/race/month/season.....etc by your TEAM and you stick to them as much as possible.

From the races that JTL has been with Sky, he's not been a leader, nor been given free reign to go and attack yet.

Look at Porte last year. He was doing all the work for Wiggo at the TdF. He was given a chance in the Paris Nice and took it, winning the GC and two stage. JTL was there as support for Porte. Until getting sick, he was doing a great job early doors in the stages of driving the peleton on.

You remember EBH in the TdF last year? Not much....thats because he gave his all in the early part of the stages to drive the race on and keep Wiggo in with a chance of winning the GC. By the time the race went live, most stages, EBH was blown and out the back.....

I understand cycling perfectly having followed it for years and being a member of a club , I realise the importance of domestiques however I also know how good JTL is / was last season , I believe going to sky doesn't suit him much as it didn't suit cav but he is nowhere near the form he showed last season and even on slightly lumpy stages this year he hasn't been part of sky's insane dieseling or a ds that shows he can climb ....I have an opinion one which is obviously not allowed to be aired on this forum as it puts peoples noses out of place ....

As for EBH I saw him at the head of the peleton for 3 weeks working for Wiggo , I also cheered him on as he was leading out cav on the champs as I was there ....so please before you go all playground , like most ppl on the forum I not only understand cycling I thoroughly enjoy the team ethic in the sport and appreciate that one man doesn't win a race

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Jesus guys, I didn't answer that question on purpose, because it may cause arguments.

He CAN make it at the highest level,

1, he's joined the wrong team at the wrong time.

2, he will just be a bit part player this season, he will not be given a change unless something major happens to one of the GC guys.

3, It will take a couple of years for him to come through the sky ranks before they will put him up for a big grand tour GC place

chiv30 | 11 years ago
0 likes

JTL , as I commented the other day , hasn't impressed at all this season on stages where I would have expected him to perform ....again I'll say he doesn't look like he is going to deliver at the highest level unfortunately

Leviathan replied to chiv30 | 11 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

...again I'll say he doesn't look like he is going to deliver at the highest level unfortunately

Jeez, we are barely into March. Give the guy a chance, he has been riding with a world team for what 6 weeks. Jump to conclusions much?

chiv30 replied to Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:
chiv30 wrote:

...again I'll say he doesn't look like he is going to deliver at the highest level unfortunately

Jeez, we are barely into March. Give the guy a chance, he has been riding with a world team for what 6 weeks. Jump to conclusions much?

He has been riding with a world team since the end of last season , he has had the same training regime as the others , I just don't believe he has what it takes at the highest level against the best in the world , I hope I'm wrong but I can't see it

Ron Keegan | 11 years ago
0 likes

In response to the silly question, contained in the opening post to this thread; JTL has already demonstrated he is able to "cut it at the highest level."
Top 20 in the 2012 World Road Race Championship - just 5 sec. off the podium - proves the point.

millskid replied to Ron Keegan | 11 years ago
0 likes

It is not a silly question! We shall see over the course of the season, although he has done nothing yet.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Portal also filled us in Jonathan Tiernan-Locke who was forced to pull out of the race during the day. He continued: “The only sad thing today was that Jonathan had to abandon. He was suffering with a few stomach problems and he was totally empty. No one wants to stop at this point in the race but there was nothing he could do. We saw on Wednesday exactly what he is capable of.”

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,28543_8550076,00.html

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

He's been ill for a few days and was being sick

Latest Comments