Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Really really OT: neighbour wants to turn his house into a pub..!

Rightio...I live in a very quiet village with only 180 homes
We have no pub (last one closed 10 yrs ago), no school or shop...
It's actually really peaceful and a close friendly community  1

However, a chap further along my road is seeking planning permission to turn his cottage into a pub that will open on Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday lunchtimes and evenings.

I am going to object but was just wondering "how would you feel...?"  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have to say, although I love a good pub, I would object to it also if it was near my house.

Maybe we will all follow the Scandinavian example soon where it is so expensive to drink out that everybody holds social nights in their own house and rotates the location.

charliemac74 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Surely with only 180 homes, they are all well within walking distance of this house and parking should not be problem at all?

I can understand the problem you may face with noise, but again, in such a small place, people shouldn't be that bad, because everyone knows everyone  39

colhum1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your views chaps...
perhaps I'll be in the minority when the application goes in.
Don't get me wrong, part of me thinks it could be good.
However, not sure that I want the noise etc late at night, there is only on street parking too so that'll cause disruption.
On the plus side...I do like a pint of real ale.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't see where the problem is either.

I'd love something like this.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think I'd be quite happy with this. It's not like it was a chain or brewery pub which is only interested in profit and doesn't care how this is acheived. Your new village pub will be a freehouse and it's opening times look to facilitate the community feel of the village.

djb123 | 11 years ago
0 likes

What was it like when you had a pub a decade ago?.
I like local pubs, there is a sense of community that is usually lacking in cities, where you tend to get a more tribal drinking culture. Unless there is a problem with anti-social behaviour, which, given your description of the place, I imagine there isn't, then it shouldn't be a problem. You could always just avoid frequenting it and forget it exists.

Amos | 11 years ago
0 likes

Really? Why? Surely with only 180 homes and not much else it would add a sense of community would it not? What are reasons behind objecting? I'd think I'd rather like a small local pub as seemingly there appears to be very little else going on in your hamlet/village/commune

Latest Comments