Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Internal Cable Rattle

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a 2012 Carbon Cube GTC Pro and have had the Cube 'fix' by my LBS to resolve the internal cable rattle issue in the top tube. Problem is it hasn't worked / been fitted correctly and still rattles to the point of driving me mad.

Does anyone know of a aftermarket foam type product I could slip down the cable to sort it once and for all. It would need to have an internal bore the size of a brake cable sleeve and an external bore of less than about 5-6mm to fit through the cable exit hole in the top tube.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've often wondered about internal routing and why it fell out of favour last time. Probably because of issues like this.

How many watts do you need to be putting out before the drag from an external cable becomes detrimental to any noticeable degree? Not trolling, genuinely interested to know if there is any evidence of the aero benefit for those with thighs slightly smaller than Cancellara or Hushovd.

oldnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wrap insulation tape as lumpily and badly as you can at intervals along the cable. A smear of silicone grease helps it slide through.

Good luck, I detest rattles too!

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

I’m sure you should have a fasteners and fixings supplier near you that would be able to help with some kind of rubber grommets to space out along the cable housing to lessen it. Failing that get some rubber to drill and punch out your own. Hope that helps.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Filler?

No.

My serious answer is to buy a Cervelo.

Catfish | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have rhe same problem I just come to the fact I have to put up with it  14  20

Latest Comments