Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Refining myself as a cyclist: More agressive position and new wheels. Tips, please!

Hi!

I have had a Cannondale Caadx 105 for a little over a year now. I am very happy with the bike and having a lot of fun.

I have started to get very comfortable on the bike and I want to take my riding a small step further by making my ride a bit more agressive ie. removing the 3 spacers which will lower my position about 1-2cm. Any tips or advice on this? Will I end up with immense back pains or is this quite allright to do?

Second thing is wheels. I am using the stock Maddux rims which I estimate weight about 2.2kg in total or there abouts.  10 I am torn between Shimano Ultegra or Pro-lite Bracciano. Any opinions?

Thanks for the experience and expertise I don't have  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Shimano kit generally lasts very well so I would opt for the Ultegra wheels. P-X are doing them for £235. I'd bung on some nice tyres (Ultremo, GP4000S Pro 4 etc) if you haven't done so already.

As Dave says, the riding position is something you can try easily enough. 1-2cm isn't a great deal, and if you're keen on the idea then some glute/hamstring stretches may make it more comfortable. But just because pro riders sit that way doesn't mean you have to.

hotweathercyclist | 11 years ago
0 likes

Get them from CRC, They no longer hold a Pro-lite account!
Get them cheap and you can get warranty from the new supplier

Steve Pratt | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the braccianos, and CRC have them on offer @ £270 at the mo.

Steve Pratt | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the braccianos, and CRC have them on offer @ £270 at the mo.

crikey | 11 years ago
0 likes

As above, a more 'aggressive' position is not always a faster position. It can be, but only if you can keep your power output high while being as aerodynamic as possible.

My own personal position is longer and lower than would be predicted by 'fitting'; don't discount stretching out rather than bending over. Your arms can be a component when wind resistance is important, and going lower can simply present more arm to the wind.

Look up Gerard Vroomens blog and seek out his views on position; food for thought from someone who does it for a living...

RichTheRoadie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Take your time with the spacer adjustments, and do them in small increments - 5mm at a time if you can. Your body will probably adapt, and you can help that by stretching more.

Note that a more aggressive position may not necessarily make you faster - there's quite a fine line between aerodynamics and muscle efficiency.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

the good thing about the spacers is that you can swap them over, and if things don't work out back-wise you can swap them back. so i'd give it a go on a shorter ride to start with and see how you get on.

wheels-wise ultegras and braccianos are both great wheelsets. for the money i don't think there's a better wheel than the bracciano out there though, they're super value. there's normally a lot of love for campag zondas at this kind of money too...

Latest Comments